Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 03:04 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,938,819 times

Advertisements

If your home is battery powered, it can be charged with almost anything. the grid, a small engine/alternator, a generator, wind mill, and more.
Point is, these technologies are older than me, and with all the advancements in technology it is sad that so many prefer to be voluntarily disabled relying on the government for the power they need.
I'd bet that less than 10% of those that suffered power loss last year did any thing about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 03:33 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,062,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If your home is battery powered, it can be charged with almost anything. the grid, a small engine/alternator, a generator, wind mill, and more.
Point is, these technologies are older than me, and with all the advancements in technology it is sad that so many prefer to be voluntarily disabled relying on the government for the power they need.
I'd bet that less than 10% of those that suffered power loss last year did any thing about it.
I'm having panels / batteries installed to match my annual usage as we speak, but it is everything but affordable for the average consumer, and most people do not have time / experience / or even ability to go through the city, obtain permits, obtain interconnect agreements from their current power provider, HOA approvals, and finally, the actual installation of the system itself. I'd be very surprised if a utility company or city would permit any individual with no electrician experience or certification to perform such a task on their own. When we pay our electric bill, we pay with the expectation of reliable power.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:58 PM

15,542 posts, read 10,528,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I just looked. ERCOT is showing that between committed capacity and quick start capacity the grid will produce enough today assuming both components hold up.

Quick start is the shaded purple component.
yeah, I've been watching it. Funny, it started going in the right direction right after 4, at least it made a jump anyway. Maybe people started conserving or maybe they flipped a switch. I was surprised, but happy.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:09 PM

19,874 posts, read 18,158,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
yeah, I've been watching it. Funny, it started going in the right direction right after 4, at least it made a jump anyway. Maybe people started conserving or maybe they flipped a switch. I was surprised, but happy.
I wish ERCOT provided more resolution. It's interesting that the pinch point ~2,900 MW occurred at ~12:50 almost exactly when wind + solar was at its lowest output.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:22 PM

1,059 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
You're not alone. Many, many, many Texans share your disgust with these two, and the nightmare that Texas politics has become. Don't think that just because Texas is officially a red state, that there aren't a multitude of blue-thinkers who would like BIG change. You were probably sitting amongst a lot of blue folk at the Roadhouse and didn't even know it! We look pretty normal.
For some reason c-d won’t let me rep you, but thank you sincerely for the positive and encouraging words.

The Texans I’ve been meeting are all warm and friendly, I’ll keep this in mind.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:33 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,200,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Blue “thinker” democrats, as mentioned above, are the ones who created the separate power grid and ERCOT.
Big change = bankrupt the state?
Big change means boot Abbott out of office. And take Cruz with him. Good place to start.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:45 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,062,791 times
Quote:
Big change means boot Abbott out of office. And take Cruz with him. Good place to start.
Yes but ‘Big Change’ doesn’t always mean ‘Good change’ … that is where Blue thinkers are just running into the slaughter. You think just because you are progressive and changing the old system that it’s going to come out better in the end and very little thought of who you are actually putting in office outside of surface perception, what they really want and why they want office, the overall outcome and policies in between and how it’s going to effect your day to day life are going into that from team left despite how much they disdain team right.

Have you ever sat down and wondered what happens if you get someone with even worse policies and practices than Abbott? Just in a different (and more important) way that much more directly impacts how we live on a day to day basis?

You’ll get your change … but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to come out ahead.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:05 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times
Quote:
Amen

Old 07-11-2022, 05:31 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,200,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yes but ‘Big Change’ doesn’t always mean ‘Good change’ … that is where Blue thinkers are just running into the slaughter. You think just because you are progressive and changing the old system that it’s going to come out better in the end and very little thought of who you are actually putting in office outside of surface perception, what they really want and why they want office, the overall outcome and policies in between and how it’s going to effect your day to day life are going into that from team left despite how much they disdain team right.

Have you ever sat down and wondered what happens if you get someone with even worse policies and practices than Abbott? Just in a different (and more important) way that much more directly impacts how we live on a day to day basis?

You’ll get your change … but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to come out ahead.
Boy, you sure seem to know a lot about how I think. I never said I would vote Dem. or progressive. I'd be happy to vote red if its the right person. I'm not always "team left". But I really don't think it can get much worse than Abbott. I'm looking for a better option - red OR blue. At least someone who won't be a national embarrassment and make Texas look like its got its head up its *****.

Never try to assume you know what anyone else is thinking, especially someone you don't even know, because you likely don't.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:46 PM

340 posts, read 267,690 times
Will we only have to worry about the grid failing today, or will we have to worry about it all this week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas