Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 12:16 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times

Advertisements

Its dang cold. Colder than it was when I was in NYC. Feels unTexan for it to be this cold... ...But that is about the extent of my complaint. Havent had any power issues, this cold spell isnt quite like last year either. It is an Artic Blast but last year was a literal storm that dumped ice / snow over almost the entire state and also hovered over the state for over 5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 06:03 PM

340 posts, read 267,865 times
Here's ERCOT's site.

https://www.ercot.com/

Old 12-23-2022, 06:12 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,642,956 times
No problems and I'm theoretically in "Southeast Texas" here 90 miles NE of Htown. I was ready though with plenty of generators/fuel and auxiliary heat source.

Most of Texans don't really conceptualize that living where trees easily grow taller than 100' and many/most of them can do that and the effect that can have on above ground power lines. Certainly the western half of the state could fit this description.

Post Hurricane Rita there were 17 trees across the power lines from my front gate to the next county road intersection just along my property line. (west side of the eye-wall and the road was an east/west road so there were north winds. Strong winds and big trees don't mix well.

Of course that damned Abbott coulda had the damn trees cut 100' feet back from all overhead power lines but he's a damned Republican !

Old 12-24-2022, 01:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,439,131 times
No, but we also have solar panels and battery backup, so if/when the power goes off, we don't really notice.

We were more concerned about the water company. If it fixed all the substation pumps so they're no longer just sitting out in the open air and installed generators at each, no problem. I reckon the company made those fixes, because we're doing just fine with water, too.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:17 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,535,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

Of course that damned Abbott coulda had the damn trees cut 100' feet back from all overhead power lines but he's a damned Republican !
Yeah only Beto can do that

Old 12-25-2022, 08:23 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,072,047 times
It’s been great appreciate having electric!

Old 12-26-2022, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
No power outages to report here in the Tyler area and the temps are supposed to return to our normal balmy weather this week.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:03 PM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
I feel like we live in Venezuela
Everybody celebrating that the power hasn’t gone out

Old 12-30-2022, 07:54 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,376,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I feel like we live in Venezuela
Everybody celebrating that the power hasn’t gone out
The US has been run like a 3rd world banana republic for several administrations now. Why are you surprised?

Old 12-30-2022, 08:27 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,642,956 times
Who is celebrating? I'm not.

Am I glad that we have had consistent power delivery here? Yes, I'm glad. I try to always count my blessings. Weather is always a huge variable to infrastructure and as we all know it is the politicians faults.

I still blame George Bush for sending Hurricane Rita into my home and my neighbors' homes which left me without grid power for 3 weeks. What a dip ! And then right on the heels to that he screwed up the Bolivar Peninsula with Hurricane Ike. Then Trump and Hurricane Harvey ... bastage ! It's always the Repubs trying to kill us with the weather . . . the heartless rich Repubs !

And then poor Uncle Joe tries to get a break from his crushing work schedule *cough* with the woman whose marriage he intruded .... errrr ..... married, the sweet Dr. Jill, and soon as he gets on the beach those nasty Repubs send winter storm Elliott to kill hundreds across the country and to try and knock out the Texas power grid again. Those damn Repubs! I know they're damn Repubs because I read it here on the Texas forum by the same most intelligent posters ever known. It's Dope ! Let us not forget the the insurrectionist Icy Winter blast thet Trump instigated on Texas in Feb 2021 ....... just rebellious I tell ya !

Save us, oh Dems. Uncle Joe, leave the beaches of the US Virgin Islands and pull us out of despair. We the taxpayers will again pay for your jetsetting, .... errrr ..... your coming to our rescue. We'll give you another couple of trillion dollars to waste to keep us from being Venezuela .......I mean spend for our salvation! Save Texas, please. Save the law breaking unending flow of crushing numbers of illegals ....... I mean immigrants from all over the world including the Middle East and Commie China spoiling our Texas .... I mean upholding Texas and US ideals!

Save us oh Dems from the awful Texas and American loving Republicans! Rescue us oh great and mighty Beto! Call on Uncle Joe at the beach to save us. Be the savior and you'll get that Cabinet appointment you were promised. Maybe you can get Mayor Pete's post and he can go and be the mommy he dreams of (he ain't on the job anyway).

Blah, blah, blah !

Last edited by BobTex; 12-30-2022 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas