Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 10:54 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times

Advertisements

Ohh the whining.

Too hard to vote . . . blah, blah, blah.

I have to drive 15 miles to early vote and my regular polling place is 6 miles away. If they want to vote they can put forth effort like Americans have been doing since this country was a constitutional republic. Saddle up and go vote . . . or don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 11:49 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I have no clue how he is doing. I don't live anywhere to Hays County.
I can only say that as a 19-year old, that job would have been way too much for me, and I would suspect he would be struggling.

When I was in college, I didn't register to vote in the town where I went to school. I kept my registration in my hometown, where I still kept up with what was going on. Not all college students do that, and the result could very well be college students who blindly cast party-line votes, and are totally ignorant about local issues or the candidates themselves. I think that is why the bill's author proposed it.
Why project yourself onto others? Some of my son's friends at that age could run circles around people half their age. And quite frankly, looking at the lack of intellect by many of the posters on forums here (in particular the political forum), I have little doubt there are college students that are smarter and better versed on issues.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:45 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Why project yourself onto others? Some of my son's friends at that age could run circles around people half their age.
After 20+ years of working in Human Resources, I have yet to see a 19-year old who was capable of being a senior manager. I've seen a few 19-year olds who were good front-line supervisors, but most of them were still learning how to be a good employee at that point. It will be interested to see how he does over the next few years, if he doesn't resign due to being in over his head. I saw a couple of articles that said many of the subordinates in the Clerk's office have resigned due to not wanting to work for him.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
After 20+ years of working in Human Resources, I have yet to see a 19-year old who was capable of being a senior manager. I've seen a few 19-year olds who were good front-line supervisors, but most of them were still learning how to be a good employee at that point. It will be interested to see how he does over the next few years, if he doesn't resign due to being in over his head. I saw a couple of articles that said many of the subordinates in the Clerk's office have resigned due to not wanting to work for him.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Seems like a majority thought the incumbent sucked (I've read as much).

I certainly don't think keeping a bunch of close minded, intellectually rigid subordinates would be a good group to build a team with so that's probably a good thing.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:12 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Why don’t you also tell us how many bad senior managers you’ve seen that are 40+ years old?

Old 02-21-2023, 03:28 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Ohh the whining.

Too hard to vote . . . blah, blah, blah.

I have to drive 15 miles to early vote and my regular polling place is 6 miles away. If they want to vote they can put forth effort like Americans have been doing since this country was a constitutional republic. Saddle up and go vote . . . or don't.
You live in a rural community. That makes the situations apples to oranges.

1) Many college students don't have cars
2) College Campuses are home to thousands of students. Number of polling places should reflect how many people are in a specific area. If there is only one polling place in Newton County, there are only 12,200 people there. It is not that crazy. If there is a college campus with 20,000 people and no polling place, that is very obvious as to a motive. Very similar to how the state decided only one place per county would allowed to have a ballot drop place regardless of population.

Its about making it harder for people who don't typically vote for you to cast a vote. There is literally no denying that.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You live in a rural community. That makes the situations apples to oranges.

1) Many college students don't have cars
2) College Campuses are home to thousands of students. Number of polling places should reflect how many people are in a specific area. If there is only one polling place in Newton County, there are only 12,200 people there. It is not that crazy. If there is a college campus with 20,000 people and no polling place, that is very obvious as to a motive. Very similar to how the state decided only one place per county would allowed to have a ballot drop place regardless of population.

Its about making it harder for people who don't typically vote for you to cast a vote. There is literally no denying that.
But deny it they will

Old 02-21-2023, 07:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
This just in:

Rep. Carrie Isaac Files Texas Campus Protection Bill, HB 2390

AUSTIN — State Representative Carrie Isaac filed House Bill 2390, the Texas Campus Protection Bill, to improve safety at public schools.

“School safety is one of the most important issues we will work on this legislative session. Many of the constituents I serve are parents concerned with the safety of their children on school campuses and I am grateful that Governor Abbott has declared school safety an emergency item,” Rep. Isaac said. “Since a University of Texas at Austin student was stabbed to death on campus by a person who was not supposed to be on campus; and that evil young man in Uvalde walked on to a public school campus and murdered children and their teachers, parents' concerns have been magnified. We must protect places of education where our children and young people gather.

“As a mom with one child on a college campus and one on a public school campus, I think about the safety of my sons and their classmates regularly. I have been working on a package of campus safety legislation that I believe will help protect open college, public school, and charter school campuses. House Bill 2390 will ban polling locations on college campuses. Additionally, I am drafting legislation that will remove polling places from K-12 public and charter schools, in addition to another that will expand our school marshal program to include volunteers from our military and peace officers. We must do everything we can to make our school campuses as safe as possible; they should not serve as a target-rich environment for those that wish to harm children. I have experienced firsthand the heightened emotions that often occur at polling locations and I will not wait for more violence to act.”

That is the weirdest justification I've heard lately. In her own district, there's been zero reports of polling place violence (I live in her district). This is just plain stupid. As I said, it will never get out of committee...

Old 02-21-2023, 11:10 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
“School safety is one of the most important issues we will work on this legislative session. Many of the constituents I serve are parents concerned with the safety of their children on school campuses
Ok … are they also going to ban polling locations at churches “to protect our children”?

Old 02-22-2023, 08:45 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
This bill sure smacks of voter suppression to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas