Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2023, 05:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,829,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
It is a simple fact that in the hottest parts of a typical summer, the heat index will typically be significantly higher in Dallas than in Houston. Someone on this board trotted out the fantasy that Dallas has cooler summer evenings than Houston. When one looks heat indexes, that is just nonsense, as I showed at the time.

And as I type, it is 6:00 pm:

Dallas: 100 degrees. AccuWeather RealFeel 113. 110 in the shade.

Houston: 94 degrees. AccuWeather RealFeel 108. 105 in the shade.
AccuWeather.com explains RealFeel as this:
Quote:
The RealFeel® uses multiple factors including the temperature, humidity, cloud cover, sun intensity, and wind to explain how hot it feels outside.
So humidity is already accounted for, but they still tell you that although Dallas has a higher real feel, the really real realfeel is actually not that bad because somehow you have to reintroduce humidity again that traps more heat and somehow changes the realfeel.

Idk. These weather agencies even things out for everyone and gives a standard measure, but they have a problem with the standard measure.

AccuWeather further states that a heat index of 101- 107 corresponds to very hot while a heat index of 108- 115 corresponds to dangerous heat.
So Dallas is dangerously hot IN THE SHADE, but it's not that bad because only Houston was responsible enough to declare an excessive heat warning and Dallas irresponsibility in only declaring a heat advisory makes it feel better.

FYI Dallas finally got the memo:
Dallas weather: Excessive Heat Warning issued as feels-like temps climb above 115 https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...fort-worth.amp

The exact words were:
Quote:
Being in Dallas right now, the summers are unequivocally more uncomfortable in Houston. It’s bad here, it’s worse at home.
But the data just doesn't support that man.
Data shows they were both in the dangerously hot category with Dallas slightly more miserable.

Dabears is right. Austin is usually even worse than Dallas and Houston. They are expecting a heat index of 1e0 Wednesday https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...-next-week.amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 06:45 PM

281 posts, read 128,140 times
Default Austin should be dragged into this and San antonio

Austin should not get a free pass. There is so much brain washing propaganda it's sheer hubris. Austin is no paradise when it comes to weather. It's at least as harsh as Houston and Dallas. Also San Antonio is about as Humid as Houston.
Austin is horribly hot and quite Humid.
I actually hear people all the time bragging about how great the weather is in Austin. They create an alternate reality. I guess if you tell people over that they live in the greatest place on earth then they will start to believe it even if their senses tell them different.
Perception and Reality are 2 totally separate matters in this case. It's about time that the folks especially in Dallas stop hitting on Houston and start hitting on their real problem. AUSTIN. Austin has done far more to steal the spotlight from
Dallas. Austin is eating your lunch. They took a huge amount of the California relocations. Now the California relocations are drying up in Dallas and they are all going to Austin or Fort Worth which is Gov. Abbots favorite pet Texas City.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:31 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,468,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
One thing I will say, being in Dallas right now, the summers are unequivocally more uncomfortable in Houston. It’s bad here, it’s worse at home.
...So.....If you don't mind can you give an honest opinion about your trip here?...Like what you noticed that was different.....The ENERGY DOWNTOWN..... The overall VIBE along with any pleasant or horrible surprises?

Old 06-26-2023, 07:47 PM

853 posts, read 465,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
...So.....If you don't mind can you give an honest opinion about your trip here?...Like what you noticed that was different.....The ENERGY DOWNTOWN..... The overall VIBE along with any pleasant or horrible surprises?
I’m not gonna lie I think Houston has the better and more vibrant downtown. Dallas wins when it comes to more cohesion in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Houston also doesn’t have a neighborhood (non downtown) as urban as uptown Dallas.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:32 PM

11,856 posts, read 8,077,832 times
I am utterly baffled as to how a simple ChatGPT prompt lead to 12 pages of responses.. ..I wish I could get my ChatGPT to write this long. The AI on this topic must be a new patch or something I'm missing.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,829,221 times
Quote:
2) The nights and mornings are noticeably less uncomfortable in DFW than Houston. Again it goes back to the humidity. The humidity holds onto the extreme heat where as drier air lets it go.
It's no longer day and AccuWeather has Houston currently at 85 with a heat index of 93.
Dallas is 91 degrees with a heat index of 101 despite the sun going down.

I sleep best when the temperature is in the 60s or lower so both are unpleasant even at this hour, but one seems a little more unpleasant that the other

Old 06-27-2023, 11:32 AM

3,189 posts, read 2,074,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
Austin should not get a free pass. There is so much brain washing propaganda it's sheer hubris. Austin is no paradise when it comes to weather. It's at least as harsh as Houston and Dallas. Also San Antonio is about as Humid as Houston.
Austin is horribly hot and quite Humid.
I actually hear people all the time bragging about how great the weather is in Austin. They create an alternate reality. I guess if you tell people over that they live in the greatest place on earth then they will start to believe it even if their senses tell them different.
Perception and Reality are 2 totally separate matters in this case. It's about time that the folks especially in Dallas stop hitting on Houston and start hitting on their real problem. AUSTIN. Austin has done far more to steal the spotlight from
Dallas. Austin is eating your lunch. They took a huge amount of the California relocations. Now the California relocations are drying up in Dallas and they are all going to Austin or Fort Worth which is Gov. Abbots favorite pet Texas City.
Austin combines Dallas heat with Houston humidity on many days. It rains less than Houston does during the summer too, so you don't get as much relief.

I'd argue Austin is probably the worst of the three, weather-wise. But again, it's all splitting hairs.

Winter is where Houston is markedly different (for the better), but summers aren't different enough between any of the cities to care. I actually really like upper 70s/lower 80s nighttime temps we have here, more pool time.without getting a chill.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:29 PM

680 posts, read 279,446 times
Quote:

Yesterday, Houston was under an excessive heat warning. DFW was under a heat advisory. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is worse.

And today, Dallas is under an excessive heat warning. Houston is under a heat advisory.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:26 PM

281 posts, read 128,140 times
Default Still arguing about weather

I thought we already settled the weather debate and concluded that they are even and neither has any advantage at all pertaining to weather. We're still kicking the dead horse. It's a tie. Game over. Just shake hands and agree that you are evenly matched when it comes to weather.
The more important question is: Who is willing to let it go and accept the tie??
If the Dallas folks aren't willing to let it go because of some irrational pride problem then they have a problem. The same goes for Houston folks. Now can you just agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
And today, Dallas is under an excessive heat warning. Houston is under a heat advisory.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:48 PM

3,916 posts, read 2,229,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
I thought we already settled the weather debate and concluded that they are even and neither has any advantage at all pertaining to weather. We're still kicking the dead horse. It's a tie. Game over. Just shake hands and agree that you are evenly matched when it comes to weather.
The more important question is: Who is willing to let it go and accept the tie??
If the Dallas folks aren't willing to let it go because of some irrational pride problem then they have a problem. The same goes for Houston folks. Now can you just agree?
Right, Texas as a whole is an oven, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas