Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 01:05 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times

Advertisements

I've gone to a few championship games at Jerry's World, the old Dallas Cowboy stadium, one in the dome (showing my age), Aggie land, and one at Reliant. I am from SE Tx. My team has been in the dumps for a few years now, so I no longer go to any games. But, I have family in PN-G. So if my team is not in the playoffs then I throw my support behind PN-G. Also Newton is kind of a secondary fav team for me. The place I am from always cheers for Newton when we are not playing each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 01:11 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Texas high school football is the most overhyped thing I’ve ever seen
Div 1 college football is obscene with all the hype and waste of money. Texas high school football is still pure football, if you can call it that. Well maybe with the exception of those big, fancy high school stadiums that DFW is so fond of.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:06 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Div 1 college football is obscene with all the hype and waste of money. Texas high school football is still pure football, if you can call it that. Well maybe with the exception of those big, fancy high school stadiums that DFW is so fond of.
That's one reason I like 2A football. No fancy stadiums, the kids work hard, and the towns are super supportive. There's nothing like a school with 220 students where everyone participates in some manner.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:18 AM

674 posts, read 335,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
It's playoff time here in Texas and Texas has the best HS football in the nation. Especially in the DFW area there are some powerhouses but most regions have their bully teams.

I'm following the Port Neches-Groves Indians, an older HS with over a century of tradition. There is even a book written about their history and rich tradition.

The author even has a very interesting periodic podcast under the same name.

PN-G is currently in the Quarterfinal round of the Class 5A Div II playoffs after knocking off the #1 ranked Lake Creek squad out of Montgomery County.

Carthage, another real powerhouse in East Texas and since the start of the 21st century, arguably the most dominant team in Texas high school football. The Bulldogs have won nine state titles - the first coming in 2008.

If you are a HS football sports fan the culmination of Texas HS football will happen in Dallas at Jerry's World (AT&T Stadium) starting with 6-man Championship in Dec 13 and finishing with the 6A championships on Dec 16. That's a total of 12 games over 3 days.

Texas HS football is the best ! Who is your team or who are you interested in and following?
I'm a Dallasite, born and raised. The only time I cared about high school football was when I was in high school and only because I was in band and if we made the playoffs it meant I had to shiver in the stands.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:44 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
As Daniel Wayne said above this is probably the purest form of the game. And FWIW, Daniel, I'm pretty sure you are a WOS fan. My BIL is Dan Hooks cousin.

It's been proven to me it is all about the head coach and his system at that level. Match the good system
HC to good dedicated athletes and there is a winner. PNG's new HC has background with Austin Westlake, where he was the defensive coordinator for 7 years and Katy where his dad was HC. Both programs have numerous state titles.

I have seen this play out almost universally.

I am enjoying this thread. I am sorry for the ex-band member. Obviously not a football fan.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:11 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,063,476 times
Watch out for Bellville in 3A. They have had several good teams...but this year their closest game was 31-3 or something like that.

They have been ranked #6 in state but last week they defeated #2 Silsbee by a score of 61-7. These last few weeks are tough games of course!

(Before this weekend their one flaw looked to be the records of the teams they had beaten. But the win over Silsbee was pretty dominant.)

Old 11-28-2023, 11:22 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,063,476 times
Newton is a small 3A school (about 260 students in 4 grades) in an economically challenged part of the state.

They have built quite a program that gives great unity to the community of all demographics.

They have chairback seating for a pretty good chunk of the home side of the stadium which is really nice!

https://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=557

Last edited by Watchful; 11-28-2023 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-28-2023, 07:53 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Call me the oddball Texan but I have no taste for sports of any variety.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:01 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's one reason I like 2A football. No fancy stadiums, the kids work hard, and the towns are super supportive. There's nothing like a school with 220 students where everyone participates in some manner.
Agreed.

As a Giddings High School faculty member in the late 1960s, I was the stadium PA announcer for the football games on Friday nights.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:48 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
I'm from Longview so I'm still pretty passionate about the Lobos (my high school team). Even though it's Cowboys country there's no professional football team in East Texas and there's no D1 schools either so we still rally hard around our high school teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas