Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,016 times

Advertisements

I just checked their web-site since I am driving by in a month........nope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
I need to go to the Big Texan someday and go for that 72oz steak. In my prime, I think I could have done it easily!
As a variation on that theme, there are a lot of things I THOUGHT I could do when back in my prime. Including whipping Muhammad Ali on one of those 18year old Texas beer joint Saturday nights. The former Cassius Clay never showed up for the challenge, but dad gummed if another feller didn't and the end result -- in a way most Texas males over age 30 can relate to -- can be found in Hank Williams, Jr's great song "Attitude Adjustment" LOL

Afterwards and henseforth? I took to heart the parting words of my much older "teacher" in this particular circumstance, as I blearily picked myself up off the gravel parking lot. To wit: "Now son, I could, but I ain't, gonna stomp you into a mudhole. But you need to get on home. And remember, if you cain't handle yer liquor, you shouldn't drink.."

Yessir..yessir...I understand perfectly now!

But seriously, Cowboy? Here is a great link and excerpt on the Big Texan challenge:

BIG TEXAN STEAK RANCH - 72oz Steak LIVE (http://www.bigtexan.com/72ozlive.php - broken link)

Since then, almost 50,000 people from around the world have traveled to Amarillo and attempted to eat the specially cut 72-oz. top sirloin steak, a baked potato, salad, dinner roll and shrimp cocktail. About 8,500 have succeeded in completing the feat and joining the ranks of Big Texan champions. They come from all walks of life. Winners have included an 11-year-old boy and a 69-year-old grandmother. Former Cincinnati Reds Pitcher Frank Pastore did it in a record time of 9 ½ minutes, and held that record for 21 years until Joey Chestnut took the title on March 24, 2008 with a time of 8 minutes and 52 seconds.

Good gawd! Under TEN MINUTES??? Whew!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Hey, I coulda whooped Muhammad Ali in my prime, and then eat two 72 oz. steaks at the Big Texas!

TexasReb - you got me figured out!

The Travel Channel had a program that showed three people trying the 72 oz steak, it wasn't pretty.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
Hey, I coulda whooped Muhammad Ali in my prime, and then eat two 72 oz. steaks at the Big Texas!

TexasReb - you got me figured out!

The Travel Channel had a program that showed three people trying the 72 oz steak, it wasn't pretty.
CowboyB, I THINK I know the program who are talking about...and I agree it wasn't purty! LOL

As a quick aside here, I hope you didn't take -- cos I SURE never intended it that way -- my earlier relating a personal lesson learned as, in any way, shape, or form, as being patronizing/dismissive as concerns what YOU could have done!

Matter of fact, more and more, I been thinkin' about that hour 72 oz' challenge. NOT that I could do it. I wouldn't even attempt it. BUT, I gotta admire and respect those who even lay remote claim to that they could/can...today or in the "prime" do so (no pun intended, once again!).

This MIGHT even be a seperate thread. How many Texans, on this thread, DO claim to be able to eat that sucker up and beat the bet...?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
This MIGHT even be a seperate thread. How many Texans DO claim to be able to eat that sucker up and beat the bet...?

I keep wondering how many who have beat the bet....have then gone home and tossed all or part of the meal..?

That is just a truly nauseating amount of food to consume in one sitting....YUCK!! I bet they bring out a monster baked potato to go with it, too, LOL!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM

TexasRebn

Naw, I had a big laugh over your post because you speak the truth.

I think I can still catch a fly ball like Willie Mays, but put me in the outfield with a glove and I'll fall on my face.

Cathy4017,

I think every Texan will claim they are able too.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Anyone know a place that serves Sweetbreads? (they are neither sweet nor bread - they are the thymus gland of a calf). I used to cook them myself (dipped in batter and deep fried) when I worked in a meat research laboratory in West Texas years ago but haven't seen them on a menu in decades. Maybe they are not on the 'approved' list any more?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I keep wondering how many who have beat the bet....have then gone home and tossed all or part of the meal..?

That is just a truly nauseating amount of food to consume in one sitting....YUCK!! I bet they bring out a monster baked potato to go with it, too, LOL!!!
Well, Miss Cathy, take a look at THIS video. And they didn't go HOME to toss. LMAO

Warning in advance: As Cowboy put it in an earlier reference to another program, it ain't purty, and one might not want to watch it while they are eating, or thinking of the same!

What I most note though, is how "life goes on" in the place -- among fellow eaters and restaurant staff -- while the poor feller, brave yet foolhardy -- gives up the ghost (and more! LOL).

YouTube - Chris @ the Big Texan Steak Challenge has a big chuck

Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, Miss Cathy, take a look at THIS video. And they didn't go HOME to toss. LMAO

Warning in advance: As Cowboy put it in an earlier reference to another program, it ain't purty, and one might not want to watch it while they are eating, or thinking of the same!

What I most note though, is how "life goes on" in the place -- among fellow eaters and restaurant staff -- while the poor feller, brave yet foolhardy -- gives up the ghost (and more! LOL).

YouTube - Chris @ the Big Texan Steak Challenge has a big chuck
ROTFLMAO!!!!! My gawd, that's GROSS!!!! I am not EVER gonna go eat there if I have to watch somebody throwing (that's the nice way to put it, LOL!!!) up their guts!! EWWWWW!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! Patting him on the back and eating at the same time!!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
ROTFLMAO!!!!! My gawd, that's GROSS!!!! I am not EVER gonna go eat there if I have to watch somebody throwing (that's the nice way to put it, LOL!!!) up their guts!! EWWWWW!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! Patting him on the back and eating at the same time!!!!
Gimme a nice ol' fashioned Texas cafe where the waitress has "big hair' and calls ever'body "hon" and/or "sweetheart"...and the "special" is most often a nice huge chicken fried steak smothered in white cream gravy...with fried okra and black-eyed peas on the side...

And you just take yer time to eat it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas