Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Texas: pet cemetary, dogs, Dalmatian, Chihuahua, college.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

It's really tough -- gotta say that Weimaraner I lost 2 1/2 years ago was the best dog ever..

My last one was a Dachsund mix just over a year ago..she was 17. The ladies at the vet were encouraging me to get another dog and I said I would be in my 60s if the next one lived as long. "Yeah the dog might outlive you" one of them said !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, I have to root for Tillman the English Bulldog, LOL. I LOVE all of my dogs to bits and have owned all sorts in my four decades of life but my best buddies have, indeed, been my English bulldogs.

When I lost my little bullygirl last fall to a sudden heart attack, I sunk into a deep depression and my heart still aches for missing her. The only thing that got me through was finally deciding to go to the city animal shelter and giving another girl a good home. As much as I love my Morgan, the Weimaraner I adopted, and my other fur kids, there's still a hole in my heart with Lily's name on it, sigh. Bulldogs are incredible pals -- it's hard to describe. All of their attention is fixed on their owners and all they want is to be by your side. LOL, my other furkids love me a lot but mum is chopped liver if there's another dog to bark at or something interesting to do. Not English bulldogs! They're so single-minded and devoted.

So, go Tillman!!!!!!! Win it for the bulldogs, pal!
Bulldogs are the best. I have a French Bulldog and he is just the sweetest dog. He sleeps at the foot of the bed every night, and usually lies a few feet away from wherever I sit. Hubby says he sits by the door and whimpers if I leave for long. They are incredibly loving devoted dogs.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Bulldogs are the best. I have a French Bulldog and he is just the sweetest dog. He sleeps at the foot of the bed every night, and usually lies a few feet away from wherever I sit. Hubby says he sits by the door and whimpers if I leave for long. They are incredibly loving devoted dogs.

Many breeds are loving and devoted, the Labrador Retriever for one. Her gorgeous eyes are the windows to her sweet soul. My Lab is a jewel and her daughter, my other dog, is a sweetheart too although she has Catahoula in her and that makes her a bit more rambunctious, but she's settling down since she's 5 now.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
aww teatime...sorry for your loss of your bullie Lily. English bulldogs have always been a favorite breed of mine ever since the days when I was a USMC wife, and ran across quite a few of them at USMC bases, and in Marine family homes. OORAH!
they sure are expensive, and that's the reason why I have not really gotten serious about buying one. my sister met Tillman the English Bulldog out in Oxnard one year!
my vote goes for Elvis...the boston terrier....i have a Boston. they are great dogs. but i had never seen a totally chocolate brown and white Boston before Elvis! mine is black/brindle/white, and i thought that was sort of unique, since most are simply black and white. Elvis and Tillman are SO cute!!!
i also love French Bulldogs. i love their bat ears!
oh and teatime, thanks for adopting.
Yeah, Belle, they really are expensive, sigh. We rescued our first bulldog from an all-breed rescue and were hooked, LOL. What a comical, loving, loyal fellow he was! After he passed away, I saved up my money and bought Lily. Of course, I was working back then so I could. Now that I'm disabled, the price of a bulldog puppy is prohibitive for me. Rescues are super-picky and some won't adopt to disabled folks, I've found, even though I have experience owning bulldogs!

How cool that your sister met Tillman! Heh, bulldogs have those big ole goofy grins and they make you smile just looking at them!

Boston terriers are awfully cute, too! I have a friend who has rescued three of them and she's a huge fan of BTs!!! I didn't realize they came in colors other than black and white!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Yeah, Belle, they really are expensive, sigh. We rescued our first bulldog from an all-breed rescue and were hooked, LOL. What a comical, loving, loyal fellow he was! After he passed away, I saved up my money and bought Lily. Of course, I was working back then so I could. Now that I'm disabled, the price of a bulldog puppy is prohibitive for me. Rescues are super-picky and some won't adopt to disabled folks, I've found, even though I have experience owning bulldogs!

How cool that your sister met Tillman! Heh, bulldogs have those big ole goofy grins and they make you smile just looking at them!

Boston terriers are awfully cute, too! I have a friend who has rescued three of them and she's a huge fan of BTs!!! I didn't realize they came in colors other than black and white!
That's so ridiculous that they won;t let you adopt because your disabled. The reason the rescues end up with so many dogs is often times people don't know what they are getting into. Bullies have their own special needs and health concerns. I did months of research before I brought home my baby.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
How cool! I was wondering if French bulldogs are as devoted as English bullies! Glad to know that they are and that you've got such a wonderful pal!

I love the fact that they really don't like exercise unless it's on their terms, LOL. I remember TRYING to take our first bulldog for a walk and he gave me a look that said, "You must be joking, right?!" He would literally whine pitifully when I took out a leash, hahahahaha!

He had his own game, though. There was a field right by our house and if I didn't make sure the kids weren't out there playing soccer when he came out with me, he would dash over there, jump on their soccer ball and want them to try to take it away from him, hahahahaha. They couldn't do it because he'd wrap his front legs tightly around the ball! I had to go get his soccer ball and have one of the kids toss it back to me so he'd run home to get his ball.

These dogs are just toooooooo funny. I never found anyone who could simply look at my bulldog and not start laughing! They'd attract a crowd no matter where I took them, so I'd never bring a bully along if I was in a hurry.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
That's so ridiculous that they won;t let you adopt because your disabled. The reason the rescues end up with so many dogs is often times people don't know what they are getting into. Bullies have their own special needs and health concerns. I did months of research before I brought home my baby.
Yeah, it really hurt my feelings, Mary. Once when I sent in an application, they actually told me they were concerned I'd die. Good God! I replied that we're ALL going to die and no one can predict that; however, because of my illness, I am one of the most tested, scanned, and monitored people on the planet and I know for a fact that I don't have cancer, clogged arteries, or any condition that will cause me to croak unexpectedly.

Meanwhile, I see that some of the rescues have dogs returned for various reasons after they've been adopted. Gee, perhaps if they didn't discriminate against other people who have owned and cared for the breed, the adoptions would be successful!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:35 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Yes, we plan on getting another. We have known this day was coming for a LONG TIME! Hard part is trying to decide what kind of baby to get. We don't do the "pure bred" thing even though ours have all been "mostly" a certain breed they don't have papers or anything. My Lhasa was a rescue. Every now and then we "hit" the pound to visit the doggies. We are a PATHETIC bunch I'd take them all home w/ me if I could.
There should be more PATHETIC people such as you and your bunch. The world would be a much better place. Even though you know she's better off, it is hard, I know. My sympathies are with you.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
you got me SOLD on a bullie-i know they are very very expensive, but once i buy my house, i will add another dog to the family, and it WILL be a bullie..even if i have to work some overtime to get one!

Quote:
Well, I have to root for Tillman the English Bulldog, LOL. I LOVE all of my dogs to bits and have owned all sorts in my four decades of life but my best buddies have, indeed, been my English bulldogs.

When I lost my little bullygirl last fall to a sudden heart attack, I sunk into a deep depression and my heart still aches for missing her. The only thing that got me through was finally deciding to go to the city animal shelter and giving another girl a good home. As much as I love my Morgan, the Weimaraner I adopted, and my other fur kids, there's still a hole in my heart with Lily's name on it, sigh. Bulldogs are incredible pals -- it's hard to describe. All of their attention is fixed on their owners and all they want is to be by your side. LOL, my other furkids love me a lot but mum is chopped liver if there's another dog to bark at or something interesting to do. Not English bulldogs! They're so single-minded and devoted.

So, go Tillman!!!!!!! Win it for the bulldogs, pal!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!! this is an outrage. are there any organizations that can help you with this???

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas