Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:53 PM

11 posts, read 83,246 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me bout Wichita Falls, TX I am planning on moving there!!! Help me out hows jobs transportation ect.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,117 times
i worked in Wichita Falls but lived southeast of there (right between Wichita Falls and Ft Worth in middle of nowhere). it's an ok city. not my favorite-i like Ft Worth alot more, but then again, Ft Worth is a tad big for my taste. dont know about jobs, because as a nurse, i always have a job, so i dont know what you do. in terms of transportation, i dont know.
i do know that there are lots of great small rural towns surrounding Wichita Falls..Electra, Burkburnett, Archer City, Henrietta......VERY friendly.
the mall is pathetic but i like going to eat at On The Border there.
there are some REALLY good steak houses in Wichita Falls, and some catfish houses too. some great rodeos come through town and are always around the surrounding areas. nightlife aint bad, some great country bars.
there are some run down areas of the city. it aint the prettiest by any means. you can drive up north to Oklahoma and go gambling. i think they opened a new waterpark in Wichita Falls in the past few years. there is a very nice country club in Wichita Falls with golf course. overall, its a great area, but then again, anywhere in Texas is better than anywhere outside of Texas.........

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
I lived in WF for 6 years, and enjoyed my time there. Is safe, conservative, clean and friendly, etc. Alot of new construction and growth going on as well. A nice university there too. I agree the Mall is not much, and is the city is behind the times, not much socially going on, especially for singles. The downtown is becoming a ghost town many places all boarded up, and growth is mainly out southwest. There is a military base also. A bus system exists, but I think is not extensive. Never had to use it. Definitely NOT like a big city transportation system. I think if you don't have a family or church, you are pretty much left out. I didn't mind as I did contract work away in other states, so gone alot.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
I have never stayed in Wichita Falls (too close to home ) but have been thru it MANY times. I'd be willing to be the reason the downtown is "drying up" is that the highway finally got built and you no longer get dumped off it and HAVE to drive thru the edge of downtown before it picks back up again. Just a guess. I always thought that was weird even as a child as WF is not a small map dot of a town yet the highway did not really exist thru it. Midwestern State University is located there. WF is just about at the edge of some major weather patterns and can experience more bad weather than folks closer to the Ft Worth area. Childress up the road is always the hottest and coldest place in the state most of the time. WF hosts the "Hotter Than He11" bike race every year. The Dallas Cowboys even trained there for a few years awhile back. I remember the tornado that went thru there in the late 70's. Many people relocated to the Dallas/Ft Worth area and for years you could still see the damage from it when driving thru. I'd swear that one mobile home sat out there by the highway upside down for 2-3 years afterwards. If you like a small city w/ the small town feel then you'd probably like it. It is close enough to Ft Worth to come in for special events for a day or the weekend. Cuts the drive to Colorado to go skiing by 2-3 hours (depending on where in the Dallas metroplex you are) . Being it is a college town it will have something to offer as far as entertainment just not on a large city scale. Sorry I can't offer you much more than that. Good luck on the move.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM

how bout working with seniors there do u know if its a good place for that?? I am coming from Denver Colo. I understand it is much smaller. It was a toss up between there or phoenix az? But wichita is looking to be the place. Does anyone know if they have cricket cell phone service there as well??? I hate giving up my cricket it is cheap very

Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
There are alot of seniors in WF, grpish. What type of work do you do?

Don't know about Cricket, but Cingular has a plant there. When I was there (last year) however, you could not get service with Cingular, strangest thing! You might get online though and check with Cricket for service there.

MSU is a good university (my alma mater), you can use their library and gym facilities as a nonstudent and take CE classes of course. There is a really pretty park across the street (Sikes Lake) for walking (nice walking trail). I think a citywide trail also being built connecting the parks and trails.

It does get really HOT in summer (I tried to be away those months), winters seemed mild to me, but sometimes really windy. Many sunny days though, so is what I liked about the area. Hope you will enjoy your move there!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
Default Wichita Falls

About your choice between Phoenix and W.F.: I've been to both, and would choose W.F. in a heartbeat over Phoenix. WF has less crime, heat, and congestion. Not a bad medium-sized city.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM

There are alot of seniors in WF, grpish. What type of work do you do?

I do PCP caregiver Private duty ect.. maybe go back n get my CNA RN or LPN here for me would love to buy my own home & open it to seniors.!!! Thanks for your responce.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:50 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,117 times
there is the state hospital in Wichita Falls, and also the forensic state hospital in nearby Vernon. there is United Regional Medical Center, the VERY good hospital in Wichita Falls, and there is a private psychiatric hospital in town too. and they do have an RN program at Midwestern State.
there are definitely alot of seniors in the area and outlying areas who would need your services. oh and of course assisted living centers and nursing homes.
by the way, i personally would choose Wichita Falls over Phoenix ANY DAY cuz it's conservative, safe, MUCH MUCH MUCH friendlier, more laid back, easier city to get around, more intimate, more down home. gosh, there are so many reasons i could go on and on but Phoenix is the LAST place i would choose if i were to move to the State of Arizona!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
there is the state hospital in Wichita Falls, and also the forensic state hospital in nearby Vernon. there is United Regional Medical Center, the VERY good hospital in Wichita Falls, and there is a private psychiatric hospital in town too. and they do have an RN program at Midwestern State.
there are definitely alot of seniors in the area and outlying areas who would need your services. oh and of course assisted living centers and nursing homes.
by the way, i personally would choose Wichita Falls over Phoenix ANY DAY cuz it's conservative, safe, MUCH MUCH MUCH friendlier, more laid back, easier city to get around, more intimate, more down home. gosh, there are so many reasons i could go on and on but Phoenix is the LAST place i would choose if i were to move to the State of Arizona!!!
thanks for that!!!!! I am planning on going there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas