Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:59 PM

190 posts, read 849,039 times

Advertisements

Maybe we should try that. But they'd come anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Our country actually does have a reasonable means to integrate people into our tax system, and social security thankfully is based on how much you put in, not that it matters for my 20-something generation at the rate the baby boomers are going.

I think the sad thing is that we make the application process tedious and exclusive enough to make people prefer to migrate in illegally. I actually wish we made it easier to migrate into the U.S. so we could integrate people into our census, tax, legal, etc. systems. That would be more fair to not only them, but also us. Right now, we've just got this fiscally invisible, unaccountable mass sucking off our system and giving nothing in return.

Ultimately, as you both point out, they definitely do come anyway. That's certainly not hard to surmise here in New Mexico. I'm all for the idea that we should reward those who migrate into this country properly, and at that point nobody could object to harsher punishment for those who still insist on cheating the system.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 PM

As for Australia, I'm sure their native retirees would be just like you and me on a relative socioeconomic scale. But surely anyone who does what you want to do is rich as can be, 'cause my dad saved his whole life for retirement, risky equity at first and now mostly bonds, and will just barely break $1.5 million when he retires in about six years.

You should definitely check and see if Australia has some way to pay extra high taxes as a form of installment plan. Everyone forcasts high medical bills during late life, and if you had that out of the way, that extra chunk of your budget could just go to ensuring that you get to be a legit Australian citizen.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Dont goto Australia, you may get LOST?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes. Please either go to Australia or stay in Europe, since you want the taxpayers to fund your medical care.
I believe if he lived in Australia or Europe he would be one of the taxpayers. Therefore he would be funding both his and the general populations health care.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I believe if he lived in Australia or Europe he would be one of the taxpayers. Therefore he would be funding both his and the general populations health care.
Well....after the statement that he made about his low income.....!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Stingray, the Boomers have already paid in billions but it was never put into a pot and saved. It was squandered away so it's actually the government's fault that the bills will be on the shoulders of the future generation. SS started in the 1930s and the people had never paid in, yet they got a small check. (My Grandparent's generation) That was funded by my parent's generation~I believe they were called the "Great Generation". SO, there was a shorfall to start with by the time our parents drew SS. The Boomers funded the previous generation because a lot of what our parents paid in had gone to our Grandparent's generation. Hope that makes sense. We had a LOT paid in and many people don't even make it long enough to draw their first check. It was spent here and there instead of stashing it away~knowing that the largest generation in history would some day be banking on it. The Boomers weren't the irresponsible ones and we never intended for the following generations to have to pay our way. Unfortunately, the govt. doesn't seem to have those same ethics.

I think I got lost somewhere in the explanation of relocating to Australia. Does that mean that one member of your household has to be 55 plus to move there? Is their currency equivalent to ours?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Stingray, the Boomers have already paid in billions but it was never put into a pot and saved. It was squandered away so it's actually the government's fault that the bills will be on the shoulders of the future generation. SS started in the 1930s and the people had never paid in, yet they got a small check. (My Grandparent's generation) That was funded by my parent's generation~I believe they were called the "Great Generation". SO, there was a shorfall to start with by the time our parents drew SS. The Boomers funded the previous generation because a lot of what our parents paid in had gone to our Grandparent's generation. Hope that makes sense. We had a LOT paid in and many people don't even make it long enough to draw their first check. It was spent here and there instead of stashing it away~knowing that the largest generation in history would some day be banking on it. The Boomers weren't the irresponsible ones and we never intended for the following generations to have to pay our way. Unfortunately, the govt. doesn't seem to have those same ethics.
That is a very important thing to clarify, so sorry I skimmed right over it in what I can now see definitely appears to be direct blame. I apologize to all boomers, including my parents, who themselves were prudent enough (excessively, their friends would say) to invest/save sufficiently to not need SS. My dad also worked his way up to a high point in his career, too, so I'm not saying that people who need social security aren't prudent. Retirement is tough enough that most people who were prudent still need an SS check to make ends meet. Also, with the pay in some fields, good luck saving anything even with a humble lifestyle. At the rate my savings and investments are going, I sure wish I had some SS to bank on!

Much like a lot of our problems as of late, it is indeed very important to distinguish the people from the government. I'm aware of that tidbit of economic history and it's not hard to see the overall waste and misappropriation in most govt. institutions. This may be a country of representative government, but I'm personally hard-pressed to remember a time when any institution of our government actually reflected the best interests of the citizens/taxpayers who fund it. Same with the representatives, who really only seem to represent each other in a drama of elitist bickering/favors and keeping up with the Joneses (which is hard to do in an ethical manner while the Joneses rob the coffers).

Add that to our international reputation, and I can only hope that when all is said and done the world doesn't associate me with this administration. The way the economy's going, I'm glad I'm a compassionate and generous person and only hope my own sewing overrides what my government has reaped during my judgment before a world that is understandably bitter at those who "represent" me. I hope they know I've shared their disdain the whole way.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
What a good post!! You represent what is RIGHT with some of our youth. I do hope that SS is around for your generation, but I'm not even sure it will be for my own. I was personally kind of banking on a small SS check because I don't have enough saved to live comfortably once I get to retirement age. Actually, I'll probably end up working (at least part time) for life. But that's ok. It'll keep me out of trouble.

I don't know though~I'm still not convinced that things are much better in other countries. The economy seems to be doing well in some countries, but we have a lot of areas here where it's going well, too. I just could never see myself leave the U.S. and make my home in Australia or any other country even if I had something to gain by doing it. I really wouldn't mind seeing Australia and that area though. New Zealand is supposed to be beautiful.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks, Jammie. After a frankly hedonistic post-high school and college lifestyle, I'm reassured to know that I can still offer up an exemplary perspective. Statements like that give me objective evidence that I've managed to keep my humanity intact, even though a look in the proverbial mirror will always keep me humble.

And you're right that every country has its own share of problems. Socioeconomically, even a low point here is probably above the 80th percentile worldwide, while most of us are easily above the 90th.

Also, this country does offer everything as far as climate and scenery.

I just wish a lot of our leaders could drop the ideological, quasi-empirial ego trip. We've got so many domestic issues, it's rather ridiculous to be off chasing dollar signs overseas, using both my name and the Lord's name in vain the whole way (yeah, I'm pretty sure that commandment applied to a lot more than mere cussing). I'm personally not religious, but those who are seem to overlook or sublimate that particular commandment, along with Jesus's stern lectures to the Pharicees/Sadducees.

Anyway, funny you'd mention New Zealand, as a friend of mine from college just moved down there. Since then, I've had my sights set on it for a visit. I'd have trouble leaving this country, too; but considering what I hear from him, New Zealand might be an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas