Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 PM

28 posts, read 74,486 times

Advertisements

You will make the move fine. While you probably could drive from NYC to Midland, I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't used to driving long distances. I've made car trips from NY to Texas more than a few times. If you have the time and can enjoy the sites and people along the way, it can be a lot of fun. But since you aren't used to driving distances, I wouldn't do it if I were you. Sure there will be culture shock. Don't expect everyone to understand you and know that you aren't going to understand everyone you come acroos. Get ready for a lot of teasing and being laughed at for reasons that doesn't make any sense to you. Most won't be meaning to be cruel. If you can honestly can appreciate the Texans, they will eventually appreciate you. We managed to move from D/FW to WNY without any major problems. Do take the time to appreciate the sunsets and the slow way of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,763 times
Lightbulb Long Move!

First higher a major moving company albeit- Allied, Mayflower, ect. They will pack everything for you load it and deliver on a set date. Also can arrange to move your vehicle if you wish. It is expensive but darn sure worth it. Their insured and bonded. Having been raised in Odessa and lived in Midland you will probably like Midland better. It has a bigger city feel than Odessa even thought they are about the same size. Either one is a great place to live and work. Odessa is a lot more fun on the weekends!

Hope this helps. Good luck, and happy moving!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 54,677 times
I have some more questions:

1) For how long will their oil economy be booming? If their oil economy grows stagnant or goes bust, what can be foreseeable in the region's future?

2) There isn't a shortage of people in my profession. But the company that wants to hire me in m/o said that they were having trouble filling the spot because NO ONE reportedly wants to go there. Any ideas as to what contributes to the region's lack of desirability?

3) How is it like for a single person living there?

4) It's bad enough that I don't know the area. But for someone who doesn't like cars, isn't used to driving, and is a crappy/inattentive driver and direction-locator, is it conceivable that I might die when living in West Texas?

5) Are there a visible number of stray cats in the area? If so, what do they feed on?

6) What about squirrels?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Question Answers Maybe ???

#1. As long as oil is above $50 a barrel
#2. Their scared!!! It can be hot and dusty, but no humidity, and cools off when the sun goes down, mild winters.
#3. Refer to my first post. Odessa is FUN on the weekends.
#4. Learn to drive. And pay attention!!
#5. No the dogs eat them. LOL(just kidding) Both cities have good animal control.
#6. No squirrels, unless you count some of the people I used to work with out there.

Pipeweld

Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Arrow Second part #1

Sorry, did not answer second part of #1. They have been though many bust before it just the cycle of the oil business.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,243 times
The best thing I can say is this:

Coming out of NYC to Odessa, you might as well learn how to water your grass, how to unfold a lawn chair, wave at people when they walk by and last......... read about football pride

Watch the dvd movie "Friday Night Lights"

Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
I would say that the only agreeable way to move from NYC to Midland would be in a six foot pine box.

But about that car. Don't forget the air conditioner.

Texas is the "Lone Star" state. That'll get you beer. The only option is a Shiner. But that's also beer.

Think Cowboys. 'Manning' is not a polite word and will not make you friends.

There's only one freeway in Midland and it leaves town. There's a tune... 'Happiness is Lubbock Texas in my rear view mirror'. You'll learn to substitute Midland for Lubbock.

Don't worry about being inattentive while driving. There's no where to go.

No speedos.

Ditto on 'Friday Nite Lights'. Also, 'The Picture Show'.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecore View Post
I have some more questions:

1) For how long will their oil economy be booming? If their oil economy grows stagnant or goes bust, what can be foreseeable in the region's future?
Oil probably isn't going anywhere. The industry always has ups and downs, but there are advantages to an industry that produces and sells something that 95% of the world's transportation requires. As a previous poster mentioned, the sky will not fall before $45.00/Bbl. Also, Midland made it through the 80's without spontaneously combusting.

Quote:
2) There isn't a shortage of people in my profession. But the company that wants to hire me in m/o said that they were having trouble filling the spot because NO ONE reportedly wants to go there. Any ideas as to what contributes to the region's lack of desirability?
Midland/Oddessa is NOT New York City. It is a small town in West Texas. Paris Hilton does not hang out there, there isn't a glut of night clubs, you will probably not meet anyone famous unless his last name is "Pickens", and all of the girls in the nation are not willing to work for $8,000 a year just to live there. I assume this is a position that is typically staffed by younger people? If so, that explains it. As you know, young people feel a great drive to have adventure and do big things in a big place. Midland just doesn't seem like a place where adventure happens, does it? Being from a big place, you're kind of screwed because you have to do something REALLY spectacular to broaden your horizons. Something totally crazy, like moving to Midland, TX. Assuming you can keep an open mind and a good attitude, I think that West Texas can be your little adventure. Just make sure you don't hole up in your apartment with the 360. Meet some girls and you will decide that you like the place.

Quote:
3) How is it like for a single person living there?
Being the fresh blood on the block with a mysterious past, I think you'll do fine. Be careful, you may meet your wife there.

Quote:
4) It's bad enough that I don't know the area. But for someone who doesn't like cars, isn't used to driving, and is a crappy/inattentive driver and direction-locator, is it conceivable that I might die when living in West Texas?
This is actually really funny. Driving gets to be second nature pretty quickly, but the curve will be steep. You will not know your way around until you get lost a few times. Get a Garmin or Tom Tom, it will be a lifesaver. West Texas is very spread out and the people there are accustomed to long drives at very high speeds. Get used to the idea of driving by distance rather than landmarks. A lot of directions go like this: Get on I-10, drive West. From the intersection of I-10 and FM 1303 drive 6.2 miles and head South. Drive 1.8 miles and look for the red mailbox on the right, that's our driveway. Follow the driveway for 4.2 miles and take the fork to the left. Pass the barn and take the middle dirt road back to the house. Just be sure to stay in the right lane if you are driving slower than 80 mph.

Quote:
5) Are there a visible number of stray cats in the area? If so, what do they feed on?
Probably not. The roadrunners generally drive the cats away.

Quote:
6) What about squirrels?
If there be trees, there be squirrels.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Post Where's the Squirrel???

(quote)If there be trees, there be squirrels. Sorry going to have to disagree there. Squirrels need trees that produce some kind of nut. Plus ready available water. Odessa-Midland area has little of either. Unless you count mesquite beans and steel stock tanks.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
(quote)If there be trees, there be squirrels. Sorry going to have to disagree there. Squirrels need trees that produce some kind of nut. Plus ready available water. Odessa-Midland area has little of either. Unless you count mesquite beans and steel stock tanks.
That's kinda what I was getting at, I was just running out of gas at the end of the post. Thar be no trees in Midland (overgeneralized).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas