Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,369 times

Advertisements

How far west into Texas does that Southern accent extend. The reason I ask this is because a lot of people will argue that east Texas is southern, but that north central and west Texas is not. At least in speech patterns, I'd have to disagree. I've noticed people speaking with southern accents in Abilene, Midland, and Odessa. However, I didn't really notice it in El Paso, as it is primarily Mestizo over there.

So how far westward does the southern accent extend? Does it even extend into southeastern New Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Texas has got MANY accents. Some of them may have a tinge of Southern, but not qualify really as a "Southern accent". Most West Texas accents don't qualify as Southern, in my opinion, and they're definitely different from East Texas accents, for example. Then there's the Central Texas folks who don't really sound like either. So as a Texan, my answer is, "Not far at all."

Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 124,615 times
Ya....Texas Horse Lady is correct. I am from Abilene, which some consider to be west Texas while others say it is Central Texas. You don't generally find in West Texas the traditional southern accent of Georgia or Alabama. West Texas accent is unique in itself.
I would imagine that most outside of West Texas are not too familiar with our accents anyway because we pretty much stick with the philosophy that we only talk when something needs said anyway.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Southern accents are of different varieties, spread all over the state.

In the large metros you may go days without hearing it, even from the lifelong natives.

In far South Texas, forget it.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
trust me, i work with folks from Alabama and Mississippi-now they talk SOUTHERN. very different, VERY VERY different from talkin' Texan.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:04 PM

you got that right. i lived in far South Texas, and I NEVER EVER heard anything resembling Southern or Texan or anything with a twang. just mexican. and get this! those folks down there couldnt understand me cuz of my accent, and i'm talkin bout those who were down there and were bilingual (spoke English too!)
ah. it feels so good to be somewhere, where folks understand me, and i understand them, and we speak the same language too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Southern accents are of different varieties, spread all over the state.

In the large metros you may go days without hearing it, even from the lifelong natives.

In far South Texas, forget it.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
IMHO, pretty much all of Texas has a southern accent. Is it identical to the Deep South, absolutely not....but it is definitely southern (i.e. not Yankee as in the East, not nasally like the Midwest, not surfer dude or neutral like much of the West).

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and I find that generally people in Texas speak very similar.....(of course, I live in North Texas so that may be why....but I've been all over this great state and most folks tend to speak southern with the exception of cities that have predominant Mexican culture).

When I lived in the West, the people I worked with thought I was from Alabama the first time I spoke in front of them! I told them that I was an Okie/Texan (previously lived in Texas before I moved West) and that there was no way that my accent was as thick as an Alabaman.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,749 times
Quote:
You don't generally find in West Texas the traditional southern accent of Georgia or Alabama
You know, the weird thing is that I've met only two people from Abilene (sat next to one on a plane last month, and the other grew up in Abilene but moved to Alabama a couple years ago to go to college), and either one of them could pass for an Alabamian easily. The college student works as a waitress at a restaurant that I go to regularly, and I had no idea she wasn't from Alabama until I mentioned to her that my brother had moved to TX.

I don't hear many "Southern accents" in Austin-San Antonio , however, and basically everyone that my cousin north of Dallas works with is a northern transplant.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM

i lived for many years in rural area right smack in between Ft Worth and Wichita Falls, and the accent there is much thicker, stronger, twangier than even Central Texas. it seems to dilute as you go south in Texas, and then disappear when ya get to Austin and parts south...in general.
another place i notice just as strong a Texas accent is East Texas, esp NE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
IMHO, pretty much all of Texas has a southern accent. Is it identical to the Deep South, absolutely not....but it is definitely southern (i.e. not Yankee as in the East, not nasally like the Midwest, not surfer dude or neutral like much of the West).

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and I find that generally people in Texas speak very similar.....(of course, I live in North Texas so that may be why....but I've been all over this great state and most folks tend to speak southern with the exception of cities that have predominant Mexican culture).

When I lived in the West, the people I worked with thought I was from Alabama the first time I spoke in front of them! I told them that I was an Okie/Texan (previously lived in Texas before I moved West) and that there was no way that my accent was as thick as an Alabaman.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
I've been working with a gentleman relocating to Central Texas from Georgia over the past few weeks. Trust me, I have NO difficulty differentiating between his accent and even the Deep East Texas (where I grew up) accent. Not even related to West Texas (which I can also distinguish), or Central Texas (where I currently live), or North Texas (where I lived for some years), or San Antonio (where my husband grew up) and further south.

Just because it's not Yankee or Midwest or West Coast doesn't mean that it's Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas