Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most overhyped or overrated?
Dallas 71 20.11%
Austin 229 64.87%
Houston 53 15.01%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM

392 posts, read 749,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 70 View Post
I've been here in Austin for 16 years, and frankly, I'm tired of the elitism here. The city council here has a direct agenda to copy California will all the stupid green ordinances that aren't scientifically viable. And the single women here are all "strong & independent". If you're single here, you'll stay single here. Want a good traditional woman to introduce to your parents? Look elsewhere. Have children and want to hang out with neighbors with kids and drink some beers without being criticized? Look elsewhere. Although this town is "liberal", it is not "liberal" by traditional sense. You cannot speak your mind if its not politically correct. And you cannot spank your kid in public without some stupid exhippie soccer mom criticizing. There's too many people here, and nobody is even from here. My lease is up in March, I'll be moving to San Antonio where people dont have so much to prove.
Though I like all the major cities of Texas and would live in any of them, Austin is definitely the most overrated, and San Antonio is horribly underrated. It's the 2nd largest city, yet it is almost always overlooked when people discuss the major cities of Texas. I'm really enjoying the Alamo City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Austin no doubt. Houston gets little attention and Dallas doesn't get excessive hype

Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
I'll stay mum on Austin -- but Dallas and Houston both seem to receive a lot of unwarranted hate from people who don't live there. Neither city is perfect, but they're not so different from other, currently hipper big cities like Austin, Fort Worth, and San Antonio that they deserve the vitriol they seem to inspire. It's all Texas.

So I'll vote for Austin on the basis that Dallas and Houston don't seem to be hyped at all by people who don't live there.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 70 View Post
Although this town is "liberal", it is not "liberal" by traditional sense.
That pretty much describes anything called "liberal" in this country today. In fact, the word has next to no discernible meaning anymore. For that matter, neither does "conservative," especially taking a look at some of the politicans gallivanting about throwing that term around self-referentially.

We have one of them for a governor.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Austin for sure. Its a cool city, but its also overhyped.

Dallas tends to get a neutral response from most people. People who know the city seem to like it, but I havent encountered too many people who (in real life) feel passionate love or hate for the city. Most people find it a comfortable place to live and work with good ammenities (food, diversity, culture, etc.), but not an awesome place to visit.

Houston is passionately loved and despised, but its not hyped. People seem to either really love Houston or really hate it.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM

28 posts, read 122,974 times
I've lived in all three of these cities and I don't think any of them are overrated. While Austin is rated very highly by many people, it deserves that ranking, and the city is only getting better. Austin is one of the greatest cities in the country. Dallas and Houston are OK. Houston is probably somewhat underrated, though I think Dallas' rating is pretty accurate.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
I tried to vote but then read that I had already voted. I stand by my vote...Austin wins this one hands down

I am one of those who loves Houston!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Um no. The Austin, Texas Public Relations Firm hires astroturf groups to astroturf or post fake positive reviews on websites where people will read the fake positive reviews and be mislead into living there and attending the antiquated bumpkin colleges that are there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierXion View Post
I've lived in all three of these cities and I don't think any of them are overrated. While Austin is rated very highly by many people, it deserves that ranking, and the city is only getting better. Austin is one of the greatest cities in the country. Dallas and Houston are OK. Houston is probably somewhat underrated, though I think Dallas' rating is pretty accurate.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dallas tends to get a neutral response from most people. People who know the city seem to like it, but I havent encountered too many people who (in real life) feel passionate love or hate for the city. Most people find it a comfortable place to live and work with good ammenities (food, diversity, culture, etc.), but not an awesome place to visit..
I feel that a lot of people just don't know the 'real' Dallas: East Dallas, Lakewood, White Rock Lake, Fair Park, Deep Ellum, Downtown, Oak Cliff, Stevens and Kessler Park, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Preston Hollow, Bluffview etc. - if they did they would love it..

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM

28 posts, read 122,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I feel that a lot of people just don't know the 'real' Dallas: East Dallas, Lakewood, White Rock Lake, Fair Park, Deep Ellum, Downtown, Oak Cliff, Stevens and Kessler Park, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Preston Hollow, Bluffview etc. - if they did they would love it..
Agreed. Those areas are certainly pretty cool and Dallas is definitely a fun city to drive in at night with all the lights it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas