Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you make your homemade tea?
Native Texan (2nd and plus generation) -- sweet 23 62.16%
Native Texan (2nd and plus generation) -- unsweetened 10 27.03%
Native Texan (1st generation) -- sweet 3 8.11%
Native Texan (1st generation) -- unsweetened 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times

Advertisements

Ok y'all, here is my own usual Texas Poll of the Week, as conceived and considered and that a billion Chinese and a lot of Texans don't care about one way or another!

ANYWAY, question is, how do y'all make your tea at home when it comes to sweet/unsweet? This one is really intended for native Texans...but with the qualifications that will be mentioned on the poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 12:50 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,863,076 times
I'm a native Texan and I have to have my tea sweetened. I don't know anyone who can drink it without it being sweetened.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I'm a native Texan and I have to have my tea sweetened. I don't know anyone who can drink it without it being sweetened.
Actually, I honestly (afeared this might cost me my native Texan credentials) prefer it "unsweetened". BUT...I am considered the "red-headed step child" in this realm among my immediate family, kinfolk, and friends. EVERYONE I know brews it sweetened. That is to say, boils it up on the stove, pours it in the pitcher and adds a cup (or more) of sugar while still HOT!

On the ol' related tangent...I am interested in homebrew recipes as well!

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-19-2008 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Actually, I honestly (afeared this might cost me my native Texan credentials) prefer it "unsweetened". BUT...I am considered the "red-headed step child" in this realm among my immediate family, kinfolk, and friends. EVERYONE I know brews it sweetened. That is to say, boils it up on the stove, pours it in the pitcher and adds a cup (or more) of sugar while still HOT!

On the ol' related tangent...I am interested in homebrew recipes as well!
For me unsweetened tea taste like dirty water. although I never add sugar to my coffee. I feel that adding sugar kills the rich flavor.

do you at least add lemon to your tea? I think I could handle unsweetened tea if I added lemon to it.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
do you at least add lemon to your tea? I think I could handle unsweetened tea if I added lemon to it.

Ohhh yeah (on the lemon part...and I even grow fresh mint in my garden to add sometime!).

*groans and sinks down my head* Don't gimme too hard a time, WestH...I catch enough hell from my own kinfolk for not preferring sweet tea. But hey? In the fer-what-its-worth department, my momma was a believer in that we kids had to learn how to keep a pitcher of tea in the icebox. So whether I like it or not, the "brew" we had to make was "sweet" in the classic Texas/Southern tradition.

I gotta soft spot for it though, my friend! If called upon today, I could still (knock on the dinnertable) make that stuff blindfolded...just gimme the pot, the teabags, the gas stove, and the sugar!

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-19-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 03:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Ohhh yeah (on the lemon part...and I even grow fresh mint in my garden to add sometime!).....
Oh, me too!! I love spearmint and peppermint in my freshly brewed tea.

I can't stand sugar-sweetened tea. We never had it at home (not being southerners, I guess...), not with the sugar added during brewing! It was always added to your own glass at the table if at all.

Give me one big iced glass of medium-strength tea, a couple sprigs of mint, and a packet of Splenda, TYVM...! Or....no Splenda at all.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Oh, me too!! I love spearmint and peppermint in my freshly brewed tea.

I can't stand sugar-sweetened tea. We never had it at home (not being southerners, I guess...), not with the sugar added during brewing! It was always added to your own glass at the table if at all.

Give me one big iced glass of medium-strength tea, a couple sprigs of mint, and a packet of Splenda, TYVM...! Or....no Splenda at all.
Hey Cathy! Where you been hidin' lately? *hugs*

Gotta git ready to eat supper and hit the sack before long, so better sign off. But glad to see you around and about the place! LOL

And remember, if nothin' else, we both seem to agree on cornbread and grits! LOL

Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
But, I think, TexasReb, we were talking on the other thread about tea sweetened while brewing vs. adding sugar or sweet and low to tea once it's in your glass, right?

In Georgia, Mississippi, et al, the sugar is already there and there is no unsweet option.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Ohhh yeah (on the lemon part...and I even grow fresh mint in my garden to add sometime!).

*groans and sinks down my head* Don't gimme too hard a time, WestH...I catch enough hell from my own kinfolk for not preferring sweet tea. But hey? In the fer-what-its-worth department, my momma was a believer in that we kids had to learn how to keep a pitcher of tea in the icebox. So whether I like it or not, the "brew" we had to make was "sweet" in the classic Texas/Southern tradition.

I gotta soft spot for it though, my friend! If called upon today, I could still (knock on the dinnertable) make that stuff blindfolded...just gimme the pot, the teabags, the gas stove, and the sugar!
that sounds pretty good

Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,478 times
Quote:
Add my family to the red-headed stepchild list. My poor father, a native North Texan for generations, is the only one of 8 siblings who HATES sweet tea. So when I was growing up he only made unsweetened and that's all I'm accustomed to. We got such good-natured hell at all family reunions, Christmases, etc. ('Cause to my kin, not drinking sweetened tea was practically as evil as being a vegetarian or not attending a Baptist church!) So whenever we were at my grandparents' dinner table, my father and I had many close calls with full on spit takes...we'd completely forget the tea was pre-sweetened to nearly diabetic shock levels. We'd exchange a look on the way to the kitchen sink...because it was either sweet tea or water from the tap. Offering additional beverages for "finicky" people was just not an option.

As an adult, I joke that I am still cavity-free because of my dad's refusal to serve sweet tea, lol. But we didn't win any brownie points with the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas