Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times

Advertisements

gabetx...maybe you missed my post? perhaps so, because i have not seen an apology towards the disabled. interestingly enough, you have posted in response to several other posts on this thread, after my post. i think you have read it and realize i am right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
No, it is not a stupid thing to say. It is simply what it is. South Texas, overall, IS alot like Mexico-heavily hispanic culture. It's just the facts.
Sure I have problems just like you and everyone does. Life is not perfect. We are going to have problems. If you are saying that I have a problem because I think South Texas is like North Mexico, that's silly.
I'm not saying it "SHOULD" be another country-just "SEEMS" like it. Nothing more, nothing less.
To refer to me as "freakin retarded" is immature and also very insensitive to those who are mentally retarded. They are humans too and you shouldn't use the word "retarded" as a negative connotation to put someone down. Please have some respect for our fellow human beings, whether they are disabled or mentally retarded. The mentally retarded are God's children too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
My II cents

I think it is silly to compare Detroit to Africa...1) Africa is a continent not a country so there is very little if any culture that present day American blacks in general share with Africans in general. 2) I find it easily understandable that if a majority of the population of South Texas speaks Spanish, and Mexico obviously speaks Spanish, the two then share the most important commonality that societies are bound by. (the same cannot be said of Detroit, STL, or any other region of the U.S. with a majority African American population who share a DIALECT OF ENGLISH with EACH OTHER, and Africa. Because Africa on the other hand, contains a multitude of languages, which vary from province to province & nation to nation, there is no common "African" language because, obviously, it is a continent..)...

Just as the North American Continent languages vary from Mexico, United States & Canada.

To the point, my main gripe is that people are trying to make the same comparisons between continents (Europe, Africa) and nations (United States, Mexico)..which is rather silly IMO.

Too, the northern parts of states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana bear great resemblance to Canada, so yes the northern parts of those states may be said to be essentially Canadian. Though Canada, and the aforementioned states both possess DIALECTS of English which is the language primarily spoken in the U.S. as well. Therefore the contrast does not seem as stark between Canada & those U.S. states, as the language contrast between any Spanish speaking country (such as Spain, Mexico, Guatemala etc.) and a predominately & historically English speaking country such as the U.S.

Last edited by solytaire; 11-27-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 05:15 PM

39 posts, read 86,219 times
What an interesting article I found about the diversity of population in Texas!

Excerpt:

For Texas’ border cities, which already have large Hispanic populations, the changes could be even more dramatic. For instance, El Paso, 78.2 percent Hispanic now, will likely increase to 90.3 percent by 2040. Similarly, San Antonio, with its ties to Mexican heritage, will move from 50 percent Hispanic (in 2000) to 61.1 percent in 2040.

The entire article is here:

The Changing Face of Texas: Population Projections and Implications - The Face of Texas - Economic Research - FRB Dallas

Old 11-27-2008, 05:17 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Miami might as well be Cuba

Using gabetx's logic I guess so......I guess LA is also Mexico.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
gabetx...maybe you missed my post? perhaps so, because i have not seen an apology towards the disabled. interestingly enough, you have posted in response to several other posts on this thread, after my post. i think you have read it and realize i am right.
No, because I am not refering to a retarded person so I just blew off that post. Sure I feel bad for real retarded people but I am not meaning it in that sense. So if you say that then if I were to say someone or something was stupid that would be making fun of a stupid/dimwitted person? Say, someone who is slow in the head?

Old 11-28-2008, 02:21 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Using gabetx's logic I guess so......I guess LA is also Mexico.
Thank you. Someone gets my point i guess! I guess these areas might as well be Mexico because its near mexico and about 10-20% of the people's first language is spanish. Even though South Texas, LA, and San Diego fall under U.S. laws and regulations. But who cares because a lot of people are hispanic therefore it should be Mexico huh? As a matter of a fact, Tuscon, El Paso, Phoenix, and any other place within 200 miles of Mexico's border might as well be part of it!

Montreal might as well be in France and New England might as well be a province of Italy.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:59 AM

146 posts, read 508,881 times
Well you guys got to think of this also

One of the texas mottos is "It's like a whole other country". so that being it's Motto anywhere you drive in Texas your going to see that all the different regions are DIFFERENT. South Texas is like going to mexico with out a passport, that is not a bad thing it is really nice because you get to see the heratige. South Padre Island & Galveston is like going to Miami or another coast town with out leaving the state. East Texas is like being in Oregon or New England with out going that far. West Texas is Desert so it's like being in Nevada or Arizona or the Middle east without going. Central Texas is like being in North, South Carolina or Tennesse without driving. & the Praire & lakes region is like being well I guess in Texas I don't know what to compare & the Panhandle is like being in Kansas or North, South Dekota. So my point is all of Texas is unique & you should enjoy all of Texas. Texas is not a bad place plus different people settle in Different areas like Lousiana is known for being Cajun but does that mean that it should be Italy NO. New England has a lot of Englash but should it be England NO. Hawaii has a lot of Phillipians but does that mean it should be Asia NO. I hope you get my point. Houston has a lot of Asians but does that mean it should be part of Asia NO. So Texas is different in all of it's areas, I personally love the Different regions.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 AM

146 posts, read 508,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
uhhh....that's a first

Well I guess I have been on the Rich part of Waco & they have beautiful houses but every city is going to have that. Tylers houses are magnificent. Tyler is rich. So I guess that's why I called Waco rich because of the Houses by the lake.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:51 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Thank you. Someone gets my point i guess! I guess these areas might as well be Mexico because its near mexico and about 10-20% of the people's first language is spanish. Even though South Texas, LA, and San Diego fall under U.S. laws and regulations. But who cares because a lot of people are hispanic therefore it should be Mexico huh? As a matter of a fact, Tuscon, El Paso, Phoenix, and any other place within 200 miles of Mexico's border might as well be part of it!

Montreal might as well be in France and New England might as well be a province of Italy.
Psst... I think he was being sarcastic

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
My II cents

I think it is silly to compare Detroit to Africa...1) Africa is a continent not a country so there is very little if any culture that present day American blacks in general share with Africans in general. 2) I find it easily understandable that if a majority of the population of South Texas speaks Spanish, and Mexico obviously speaks Spanish, the two then share the most important commonality that societies are bound by. (the same cannot be said of Detroit, STL, or any other region of the U.S. with a majority African American population who share a DIALECT OF ENGLISH with EACH OTHER, and Africa. Because Africa on the other hand, contains a multitude of languages, which vary from province to province & nation to nation, there is no common "African" language because, obviously, it is a continent..)...

Just as the North American Continent languages vary from Mexico, United States & Canada.

To the point, my main gripe is that people are trying to make the same comparisons between continents (Europe, Africa) and nations (United States, Mexico)..which is rather silly IMO.

Too, the northern parts of states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana bear great resemblance to Canada, so yes the northern parts of those states may be said to be essentially Canadian. Though Canada, and the aforementioned states both possess DIALECTS of English which is the language primarily spoken in the U.S. as well. Therefore the contrast does not seem as stark between Canada & those U.S. states, as the language contrast between any Spanish speaking country (such as Spain, Mexico, Guatemala etc.) and a predominately & historically English speaking country such as the U.S.
It's a shame that you had to go this far to explain the obvious, anyhow here's a rep.

Last edited by usc619; 11-28-2008 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas