Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times

Advertisements

The only place in Texas you can avoid snakes fairly consistently, but still not absolutely, is an upper floor of an urban highrise building. Be sure to keep your dogs locked in a closet to be reduce the accidental encounter risk. Vacuum sealed in heavy snake resistant plastic would help.

Seriously, there is no area of low snake population if you consider ALL snakes the enemy. You will find areas where poisonous snakes are less frequent due to the higher population of snake eating snakes and other predators, but they are still present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:16 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Bound for Texas...on another forum i am active on, it seems like the Panhandle and West Texas would have the least....
I agree about staying away from East Texas-too swampy and humid and green and foresty..you would have more snakes. South Texas-just too tropical.
Hill Country and North Central Texas...happy mediums.
I am glad to hear from another dog lover. what kind of dogs do you have? what kind of work are you going to do, and where are you moving from?
Kerrville is a great choice. Blanco would be too!
Never seen a snake in Tyler itself, since my return 25 years ago from Houston. Didn't see snakes in my suburban home in 25 years there.They do exist of course. Just never much if any conversation here about snakes. I've heard far more about rattlesnakes in West Texas. I sure as heck wouldn't base my retirement on snakes or no snakes or less snakes.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 05-05-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 03:23 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lookin View Post
bellestaroftexas, That is how I feel also. I was thinking about my dogs. How they just run out the door with no fear. Moving to Texas would mean that I would be on edge all the time.

I have changed my mind about East Texas and not only because of the snakes. I hear the weather is better near the Hill Country. Lots of people have talked about Kerrville being a good place to retire.

I have heard their are snakes there too. Depends on what part to buy in. We want 3 or 4 acres so that would mean out in the Country somewhere.

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but maybe we will both get it here.
Western East Texas, Tyler, few snakes, in my 25 years back from Houston. Not a topic I've heard much about.
I don't think snakes should be your top concern, unless your going to camp out most nights, even then, not that big of a deal. This is being blown out of proportion as usual. Don't forget this is Texas, everything is big, even B.S. lol

Old 05-05-2015, 05:00 PM

515 posts, read 558,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielaC View Post
Well there goes my excitement about moving to Fort Worth TX...I am out...no need to say more. Hate!!! Hate!! Hate snakes and love my dog way too much...this sucks
If you think Fort Worth has rattlesnakes, you'd love Sweetwater...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OVCiu2pwQ

Old 05-06-2015, 08:20 AM

436 posts, read 570,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OVCiu2pwQ
Geez I have not been to that in almost 30 years I think. It was definitely not for the squeamish.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
LOOOOLLL yeah I've read about that in stuff like Texas Monthly That is an AWESOME suggestion for the OP

Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,186 times
I walked up on a big diamondback in Cedar Hill by the TV towers last year.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
You might as well asked what part of the United States has the fewest snakes. The only answer is: highly developed cities, and even then you are likely to occasionally encounter small grass snakes and such in any green area -- parks with bushes, the single family residential neighborhoods, etc. In my experience you are unlikely to encounter venomous snakes within the populated city limits of Texas cities. I don't personally recall ever encountering a snake of any kind in Lubbock or Beaumont. We had yard snakes in Dallas and Austin. In Fort Worth I only encountered snakes when walking through undeveloped areas on the far southwest part of Fort Worth suburbia. Don't recall any snakes in Corpus Christi, though I was quite young when we lived there. However, I'm sure all these places had snakes living in people's yards and shrubbery -- they're just not all over the place. Now you can contrast that with snakes all over the place in the shaded, wooded creek area of my grandparents' ranch in Denton County -- if you are in an undeveloped area with good habitat for various types of snakes, you will run into them.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I have lived in Plano for 26 years and I have seen near my house a total of 3 snakes. One tiny pencil thin green snake. A rat snake on my driveway.. And I don't know what the third one was, but I'm pretty sure it was another rat snake. No venomous snakes ever. I saw another snake while on the Arbor Hills walking trail. That's it. In 26 years.

Now, I do work north of here. & I have met many people who have encountered copperhead snakes.

But that is a good 20-30 miles from here.

There is all kinds of wildlife around my house in Plano. Possums, raccoons, rabbits, big green turtles, and we even have a neighborhood bobcat. So I am sure there are snakes. But they keep to themselves.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,254 times
I live in Houston. I believe I was about 10 the last time I saw a snake in the wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas