Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've never shot a gun in my entire life. I don't like guns, but I've been thinking for a long time now to get one for protection. I've heard that I should get a shot gun because "you can't miss." That gun seems scarier to me than a pistol.

One of the woman at worked asked her husband what he thought would be a good handgun for me. He mentioned a 9mm pistol ~ Smith & Wesson, Colt, or Beretta.

I asked another person and he agreed a shotgun would be the best, like a 410. He also said a 380, 25, or 32 hand gun if I didn't want the shotgun. He also said the 9mm would kick like crazy and I couldn't handle it.

I haven't asked my son yet, but my nephews told my sister (she is also wanting one) that a shotgun would be the best bet for her.

I think I'd like to carry one in my truck too and of course, if I decide on a handgun, I know there's more involved in getting one of those such as a license to carry and all.

I really haven't a clue what I'm doing, so I need some very good direction.

I know the shotgun sprays, hence the better chance of not "missing." Okay I'm thinking way ahead with this remark, but if my dogs were near the intruder, would the blast hurt them? I couldn't bear that. I know with a handgun, I could miss or even hit one of my dogs though.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
You need to go to a range and take some lessons. They will have an assortment of handguns for you to try, and my experience has been that they're happy for you to try different ones to find out what "fits" you best.

Once you've had some lessons, you'll be in a much better position to make a decision about (a) what kind of gun you want and (b) whether you really want one or not.

In other words, you need professional advice!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You need to go to a range and take some lessons. They will have an assortment of handguns for you to try, and my experience has been that they're happy for you to try different ones to find out what "fits" you best.

Once you've had some lessons, you'll be in a much better position to make a decision about (a) what kind of gun you want and (b) whether you really want one or not.

In other words, you need professional advice!
That's why I posted on the Texan forum, to gain professional advice.

In all seriousness, thanks for your good advice.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
I prefer a flamethrower, but that's just me. Keep us posted what you end up getting.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 PM

714 posts, read 2,932,756 times
If you just want a gun for protection in your home, a shotgun will do. But if you want to have something in you vehicle, a handgun is a must. Try out several types, calibers. If you don't feel comfortable with the semi-autos, a good revolver will be fine. Most times you won't need more than 6 shots. But what ever you settle for, practice, practice, practice.

I personally carry the Chuck Norris style, one Uzi for each hand, a bandana on my head, my shirt unbutton. If the sight of my belly doesn't strike fear to the bad guys, nothing will.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,732 times
If you're in the Dallas area, there are several places you can go to try out the guns and then take lessons, get your license to carry. The Bullet Trap is in Plano, I think. However, my DH agrees about the shotgun...that's what he prefers altho our son carries a 9mm Ruger.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
totally different POV
why is the world would you want a gun--especially if you don't have a clue what you are doing

going to a range and trying out handguns gives you some practice but that is not a substitute for having a real need for a gun or having lots of experience with guns and knowing when to pull it out---we own a 9mm and other rifles/shotguns and frankly they are either rusting under the bed or gathering dust on the shelf...
we used to travel with the 9mm but just outgrew the paranoia I guess years ago

guns are dangerous even when people know what they are doing (and most people don't--they are much too quick to go to a gun as a first resort)...
if you have children who have no experience with guns or even ones who do bringing gun into your home could be the worse mistake you make...

if this is a thread just to get people's attention--well it got mine...article in the newspaper today about how TX has one of highest rates for illegal weapons--
and frankly having a gun won't necessarily keep you from being hurt--they can even be used against you

Old 12-06-2008, 09:34 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Go to the Academy web page and click on outdoors, firearms, and home defense (under shotguns). These shotguns have shorter barrels and run about $180 and up. You don't have to be a real good shot and the sound of "pumping" a shell into the chamber will make an intruder think twice of continuing on.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
mossburg 500A 6 shot 12 gauge short barrel with ATI top folding stock.
cheap effective easy to use and clean
get training
never never point a weapon without the intention to use it.
dont try to scare people with it ever
they will take it away from you
and hurt you

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-06-2008 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
Naw man, get an Uzi instead, screw a flamethrower.

Right ... it'll burn your house down! The Uzi is kinda expensive though ... gotta be up in the 5 figures now! Great weapon though! 33 round mag done in about 2-3 seconds. I haven't shot one though in over 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: