Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I keep thinking of my dad's nasty runny egg and livermush sandwhich...Gawd that thing is awful. It's cause of him I wont even touch liver of any kind..
Do I take that you don't much like liver, CD? *grins*

Seriously, Miss Carolina hon, when I first started reading you post, I got to the "runny egg" part of it and thought...dammed if that doesn't remind me of another of the "old days"...that is, an egg and bacon and 'mater and salad dressin' combination! MMMMmmmmm. Good stuff!

THEN...I got to the the liver part...!

All BS aside, I truly wonder if there is ANYTHING in existence (at least within the United States) so far as food items go which repels a larger than average part of the population (usually dating back to childhood) as does liver? If there is, I am unaware of it.

Personally, I can think of ONE exception to the general rule. In my hometown there is a place called the "Chicken Box" which serves "jalapeno dipped" fried chicken livers. Yes, I CAN tolerate those and even like them. But that is because they are so heavily flavored and spiced and deep Southern fried, most of the liver taste is fried out of them! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Cathy...my dear friend...where is that "western gal" spirit of adventure...? *grins*
It got up and left...and got worse when I read this by Colddiamond....

I keep thinking of my dad's nasty runny egg and livermush sandwhich...Gawd that thing is awful. It's cause of him I wont even touch liver of any kind..

I'll take okra, grits and whatever else it was over liver of any kind.

EWWWWW. My stomach just lurched....

Old 02-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It got up and left...and got worse when I read this by Colddiamond....

I'll take okra, grits and whatever else it was over liver of any kind.

EWWWWW. My stomach just lurched....
Twice in two days, Cathy? Hang on, hon..think of a nice BLT!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Twice in two days, Cathy? Hang on, hon..think of a nice BLT!
Now you're talking, Randy...LOL!!

A BLOT is even better.....(onions!)....

Sourdough toasted bread, ultra-crisp bacon, fresh garden tomato slices, mayo, romaine lettuce.....a thin slice of purple onion (or chopped green)....maybe a slice of cheese...and plenty of black pepper and salt!!

Now I'm getting hungry......

Old 02-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Now you're talking, Randy...LOL!!

A BLOT is even better.....(onions!)....

Sourdough toasted bread, ultra-crisp bacon, fresh garden tomato slices, mayo, romaine lettuce.....a thin slice of purple onion (or chopped green)....maybe a slice of cheese...and plenty of black pepper and salt!!

Now I'm getting hungry......
Me too, Cathy! And dadgummit, you beat me to the punch on the BLT/BLOT!

I had planned to say my idea of the perfect sandwhich -- which by golly I am going to make tonight -- is along the lines of yours!

A huge bacon sandwich on toasted bread slathered with salad dressing. Cheese melted on it (and maybe even a slice of fried balony, like BlueSkies mentioned), cold salted sliced tomatoes, lots of diced onions and dill pickles, and some green leaf lettuce.

How 'bout that, hon?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Me too, Cathy! And dadgummit, you beat me to the punch on the BLT/BLOT!

I had planned to say my idea of the perfect sandwhich -- which by golly I am going to make tonight -- is along the lines of yours!

A huge bacon sandwich on toasted bread slathered with salad dressing. Cheese melted on it (and maybe even a slice of fried balony, like BlueSkies mentioned), cold salted sliced tomatoes, lots of diced onions and dill pickles, and some green leaf lettuce.

How 'bout that, hon?
Put the dills and fried baloney on the side and you have a perfect sandwich, LOL!!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:52 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,957 times
Are you kidding me? I thought that when I saw there had been three pages on this subject...my two sandwiches...one that I still eat... and one that I haven't had in 40 years....would be mentioned ...
Am I the only one who had these as a child...
The one that I still eat: Homemade...not store bought...Pimento Cheese on Toast..
The one that I haven't had in 40 years.....BBQ'd balogna w/ cheese on fresh white bread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Cool Butter and Worcestershire

Betcha never heard of this! When the family would go vacation when I was little, Mom would make butter and Worcestershire sam-iches!
She would mix the butter and Worcestershire sauce together spread it on white bread,She would then cut off the crust and cut em diagonally.
We would all eat em on the road and us kids would think we where in hog heaven.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
PB&J or grilled cheese. Another favorite that's been mentioned already was fried bologna. Gee, I haven't had that in many years. I used to LOVE that!
Loved PBJ and grilled cheese, but I've never had fried bologna.....

I made your cornbread again to go with my Texas Ranger Nine Bean Soup....and it turned out perfect again!!! It's the best cornbread I've ever had!!! The soup was actually three-bean (pinto, black, small red), since I never bothered to make the mix given in the recipe, LOL!!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
We'd go to his favorite shop, grab a booth, and as he was eating it the egg would start to run down the back of the sandwhich, then the livermush would start creeping out of the sides.. -gag-

Im serious, that sandwhich of his makes me refuse to this day to touch liver or the packaging it comes from...and I work in a grocery store!

If it comes through the line I'll either have the cashier bag it for me or I'll have one of the other baggers scan/bag/get it out of my sight and into the customers cart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas