U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: ohio
34 posts, read 42,957 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

well i want to move this summer ive narrowd it down to austin,houston or dallas, im 18 years old white male. other options were cali,florida- to expensive phoenix arizona- not urban enough...and the cost of liveing seems low in all 3 cities so thats a big reason for wanting to move here. the suburban areas do not matter to me because that is not what im looking for, i have some questions.

1.which one has the best night life
2.i am a personal trainer so which one has the biggest fitness industry and highest demand for personal trainers?
3.which one is it easiest to meet new people and friends, and how is the dateing scene?
4.most urban?
5.what are the main differences between each city?

thanks alot, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,507 posts, read 2,778,395 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post

1.which one has the best night life
2.i am a personal trainer so which one has the biggest fitness industry and highest demand for personal trainers?
3.which one is it easiest to meet new people and friends, and how is the dateing scene?
4.most urban?
5.what are the main differences between each city?

thanks alot, Mike
Here are my answers, but they are just my opinion, other opinions will surely vary.

1. Austin
2. Dallas
3. I don't know, probably about the same in all.
4. Houston
5. Dallas - superficial, materialistic
Austin - liberal, hippies
Houston - generic large city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Texas
910 posts, read 1,468,498 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post
well i want to move this summer ive narrowd it down to austin,houston or dallas, im 18 years old white male. other options were cali,florida- to expensive phoenix arizona- not urban enough...and the cost of liveing seems low in all 3 cities so thats a big reason for wanting to move here. the suburban areas do not matter to me because that is not what im looking for, i have some questions.

1.which one has the best night life
2.i am a personal trainer so which one has the biggest fitness industry and highest demand for personal trainers?
3.which one is it easiest to meet new people and friends, and how is the dateing scene?
4.most urban?
5.what are the main differences between each city?

thanks alot, Mike
1. Austin
2. Any of them
3. Austin if you're under 30 years old
4. Dallas and Houston
5. Austin-college kids, tech workers, musicians
Dallas-big money
Houston-blue collar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
 
3,581 posts, read 2,190,199 times
Reputation: 7331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post
well i want to move this summer ive narrowd it down to austin,houston or dallas, im 18 years old white male. other options were cali,florida- to expensive phoenix arizona- not urban enough...and the cost of liveing seems low in all 3 cities so thats a big reason for wanting to move here. the suburban areas do not matter to me because that is not what im looking for, i have some questions.

1.which one has the best night life
2.i am a personal trainer so which one has the biggest fitness industry and highest demand for personal trainers?
3.which one is it easiest to meet new people and friends, and how is the dateing scene?
4.most urban?
5.what are the main differences between each city?

thanks alot, Mike

Hey Mike, where are you from in Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
 
Location: ohio
34 posts, read 42,957 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Hey Mike, where are you from in Ohio?
columbus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
 
3,581 posts, read 2,190,199 times
Reputation: 7331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post
columbus

I was just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,519 posts, read 1,803,477 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
1. Austin
2. Any of them
3. Austin if you're under 30 years old
4. Dallas and Houston
5. Austin-college kids, tech workers, musicians
Dallas-big money
Houston-blue collar
ATXIronhorse is correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
1,637 posts, read 2,727,447 times
Reputation: 1603
I recommend Florida! Or Cali too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
 
819 posts, read 1,188,327 times
Reputation: 1022
1. Houston's got the best balanced nightlife options...unless you like live music scenes, then Austin
2. There are fitness opportunities in the major cities.
3. Meeting people? More or less where you'd work or network specifically. All about the same.
4. Houston definitely.
5. The people who say Houston is just "blue collar" are out of touch. Houston is medical and international/energy finance as well as increasingly high tech. Houston has more money than Dallas, it's just more concentrated in Dallas. Houston is also the most cosmopolitan/worldly (what with over 100s of foreign consulates here).

Whoever said Houston is a "generic big city" is fairly dismissive and tunnel-viewed. Houston is VERY funky and eccentric in a way that contrasts the usual strip malls. Houston is a city of Beer Can Houses, night time gay parades, Orange Shows, Art Car parades, skyscrapers looming over suburban backyards, Victorian house Greek coffee bars/cafes, bungalow tattoo shops, cool Chinese consulate on Montrose Blvd where employees are doing tai chi on the sidewalks and huge Buddhist temples in open fields!

San Antonio is Old World Fiesta. Laid back for a city its size. Austin is scenic but over-rated in terms of being a city. It lacks Houston and Dallas' diverse amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Southern California (currently)
188 posts, read 327,914 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike043 View Post
columbus
Then you will feel right at home in Austin.

Dallas and Houston are good choices if you have an itch for the big city life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top