Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,719,970 times

Advertisements

I used to be a location scout for Texas and my job was to find perfect locations for tv commercials and movies. I tell you, the more I looked, the more I fell in love with Texas. There were days when I could not wait to go to bed early just so I could wake up at 5am and watch the sun rise over the hills.

Texas is beautiful, but the real beauty is goingn to come down to how and where you were raised. I know for a fact that if I were born and lived in the country like, say, Banff, British Columbia, I'd declare that place as a place prettier than heaven. Or, in Montana, can you imagine flyfishing in the early morning dew at the blackfoot river?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 AM

23,022 posts, read 34,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What areas are prettier?? I have to say that the only "prettier" city that I've seen is Augusta, GA. It's hard to beat Augusta's beauty, but other than that you don't get much better than the plants and trees in the likes of Houston or Beaumont. Come on now.
For me you can't beat the sun coming up over the mountains! Also I prefer waterfalls, I hate how flat it is in Texas. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the best! Give me North Carolina or Tennessee any day.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM

11 posts, read 54,568 times
Personally, I've never lived in TX and have wondered if this is, in fact, a true characterization of Texans. I'm glad to hear from the natives that it isn't (although most have to get in a "Texas is the greatest place on earth" comment in the process )

Frankly, this is an issue I've been concerned about since we've been struggling with taking a job offer in TX. It's not that I think Texans "hate" other States, it's just the attitude that no other place is worth living that I find pretty annoying. I've known people from Texas who have both loved and hated it, just like anyplace else. And, I guess since I've never lived there (and more importantly, it seems, am not a native) I will just never "get it". Nonetheless, it's kind of annoying (just my humble opinion, no flames, please )

Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,903,831 times
What's annoying? Just out of curiosity.

Texas is Texas and many other native sons and daughters have said it so beautifully on here. It is a state of mind. It is knowing that I can go to anywhere in this great big state and see so many different terrains, ecosystems and people and yet still be at home and accepted. It is a pride and a heritage that many of us know came w/ a price from our ancestors. They helped settle and tame this wild land and to make it home. It was a frontier and the frontier spirit still lives on in those native sons and daughters that still keep that frontier spirit alive. Pride? Yes . Are we different than many others? YES! And it is in that difference that we celebrate. Yet even as natives we are all different from each other and yet accepted because we share a common bond. What's wrong w/ having pride in ones past and in the land that they live in? NOTHING! I'm a Native Texan thru and thru and would not have it any other way.

I've traveled this great country of the U.S. of A. and also been to many other beautiful countries on this planet. They ALL have a beauty that is disticntive to their own being. If every state and country were all alike how boring this world would be and oh what a pity. What would you keep and what would you throw out? Desserts, Oceans, Mountains, Valleys, Buttes, Rivers, Lakes, Waterfalls, Springfed waters, Rainforests, etc? I would not get rid of one single thing. I love every place I go and even dream of what it would be like to live there. What about just owning a small vacation place there? Retiring there? Yet every time I come back home to Texas and realize that nothing else in the world could replace it in my heart and in my life. I LOVE Texas and its people and there is NOTHING else in this world that can change that as I've seen it with my own eyes that this is the only place that I'm accepted 100% for being a Native Texan. Which is really sad as I've never dissed anyone from another place based solely on their accent upon first meeting them yet that is what we have experienced in our travels to places like California and Florida. So I'll keep my beloved Texas and everything about her even though some people do nothing but hate it just for being "Texas", I still love every grain of sand that makes up my home and I'll keep my Texas pride alive and burning and pass it on to my children.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 54,568 times
[quote=momof2dfw;555719]What's annoying? Just out of curiosity.

Well, you said it yourself, every place has beauty and people who are proud of their heritage, history, culture, and lifestyle. No arguement there. The annoying part is when people don't think similarly to you and can't appreciate the qualities of other places and go on and on about how great their State (or city or nationality or team) is. It just kind of reminds me of high school (our teams' better than your team....). What's the point?

You can love where you're from but no one wants to hear about it all the time. I never hear of people from other States with the "it's hard to be humble when you're from Vermont/insert other State here!" business and they are just as proud of where they are from, as you say. THAT'S what I find annoying.

Like I said, I know many don't agree with me (especially on a Texas board)and it is JMHO.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,903,831 times
[quote=PetiteFleur;556147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
What's annoying? Just out of curiosity.

Well, you said it yourself, every place has beauty and people who are proud of their heritage, history, culture, and lifestyle. No arguement there. The annoying part is when people don't think similarly to you and can't appreciate the qualities of other places and go on and on about how great their State (or city or nationality or team) is. It just kind of reminds me of high school (our teams' better than your team....). What's the point?

You can love where you're from but no one wants to hear about it all the time. I never hear of people from other States with the "it's hard to be humble when you're from Vermont/insert other State here!" business and they are just as proud of where they are from, as you say. THAT'S what I find annoying.

Like I said, I know many don't agree with me (especially on a Texas board)and it is JMHO.

You should try living here and hearing constantly people from other states try to tell us how wrong we are, how bad this place is, how much better it is where they come from, how much better things were done where they come from, etc. THAT gets annoying REALLY fast. And the sad part is they start their bellyaching before anyone has said a word to them. LOL!!! Or just try being from Texas and going into a nice shop in another state to look around and the minute someone hears your from Texas they treat you like dirt. It happens all too often and without merit or cause. If someone from Texas treated them badly before it still is no excuse for them to treat others from Texas badly as it is a two-way street. You surely would not like us in Texas hating all people from your state just because someone from there acted badly would you? Besides, most of the "its hard to be humble when your from Texas" is meant to be humorous. Sorry that us Texans not only have a sense of pride but also one of humor. Its inbred in us.

As for hearing all the time how great another place is, try going to a Dallas Stars game when they play Detriot HERE in Dallas. ARGH!!!! Those are the rudest most obnoxious people. I would not dare act like that if I went to a Stars away game much less act like that at a home game. Talk about in your face so-called pride. What they exhibit is just plain ignorance and arrogance and in a rudely fashion.

As you said, it is nice that some of us can see each place for its own unique beauty and the difference. As with other things that is also a two-way street. Try looking on other states boards and see how much hate is out there for Texas and Texans and by people that have never even been here in their life. I'll take my Texas pride anyday over the shallow ignorance displayed by many of those people. JMHO

Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,331,864 times
As Lyle Lovett would say:

Quote:
They're OK in Oklahoma
Up in Arkansas they're fair
But those old folks in Missouri
They don't even know you're there

But at a dance hall down in Texas
That's the finest place to be
The women they all look beautiful
And their men will buy your beer for free

And they'll say that's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,580,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
For me you can't beat the sun coming up over the mountains! Also I prefer waterfalls, I hate how flat it is in Texas. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the best! Give me North Carolina or Tennessee any day.
Texas has plenty of mountains and waterfalls. It depends on what part of the state you're in.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:47 PM

216 posts, read 935,306 times
Little Flower.

The quality of our state, or any other state for that matter, is not a routine topic of conversation had by a native Texan. Other than on a message board, I can't ever recall having a conversation with someone about the subject.

Home is where you are. You get used to where you live because that is where you are planted.

Those of us who have lived other places (California, Florida & Texas for me) can appreciate the good things of the different areas, but happen to think Texas has an edge over the others.

Real Life is nothing like the TV show Dallas. Come visit and get to know some folks before lumping us all in one basket.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:53 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,228,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
Personally, I've never lived in TX and have wondered if this is, in fact, a true characterization of Texans. I'm glad to hear from the natives that it isn't (although most have to get in a "Texas is the greatest place on earth" comment in the process )

Frankly, this is an issue I've been concerned about since we've been struggling with taking a job offer in TX. It's not that I think Texans "hate" other States, it's just the attitude that no other place is worth living that I find pretty annoying. I've known people from Texas who have both loved and hated it, just like anyplace else. And, I guess since I've never lived there (and more importantly, it seems, am not a native) I will just never "get it". Nonetheless, it's kind of annoying (just my humble opinion, no flames, please )
It is annoying that many Texans with the exception of ILNC really do feel that Texas is the best of the best. My brother-in-law was that way, and I could absolutely never understand it. I even see it in one of his sons especially, a terribly obnoxious take on where he lives even though he wasn't born here, like GW, but is all Texan anyway. The other son not born here is a bit like that, but the one that was born in Texas couldn't care less about such nonsense. He just lives and lets others do the same.

Don't be too proud about once being a country because when the marches were going on last year pertaining to the illegals, they were letting everyone in TX know "they were here first" and for the Texans to go home. A stupid scenario for sure, but I believe they are just as serious as Texans are.

I really am trying to like Texas better than I do as I may die here so before someone else says it, I will:

When I die I may not go to heaven
I don't know if they let cowboys in
If they don't just let me go to Texas
Cause Texas is as close as I've been

I know, it's just a sense of humor that abounds in the Lone Star State and some of it can be kind of cute.

I feel that many reasons I don't like Texas is because of the attitudes I've viewed for so many years as some demeanors of natives are far from humble. (Please, no more songs about Texas). I know that's my problem, they shouldn't have effected me so adversely, and I am to blame for letting it bother me.

Texas, as any other state, is not all beautiful in scenery and definitely not the weather. Of course, that doesn't matter as the whole country is not totally beautiful. Just like people, the land and the air has its many "rough spots."

I'm pleased for all of you who feel so strongly about Texas. That is great, but I just will never comprehend the extent of it. It's just a place that unites itself with the rest of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas