Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 PM

321 posts, read 838,636 times

Advertisements

So tell me a little about Weatherford Texas. I already know Parker County is dry, so we don't need to go down that path. However, I've also been considering Peaster and Whitt areas as relocation possibilities. Let me know the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks in advance.

LS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 24,998 times
I grew up in Weatherford of course that was when it was a small town. Think, I remember when we got a Sonic drive in to give you an idea of how small it was at one time. Fast forward 15 years it became one of the hub bedroom communities for the DFW Metroplex and ballooned in size. Now it feels like a city rather than a town.

Traffic - is an issue in the downtown area as the infrastructure can't be changed in that area. Several State Highways converge and run through Weatherford as does I-20. If your moving there and plan on working in Fort Worth plan on 30-40 minutes to downtown, Dallas plan on as little as 60 but more like 75-90 minutes and pray the construction areas don't hold you up.

Schools - good school system but as is with every school system you have to stay involved to prevent to make sure your child isn't ignored when they have a learning issue.

Employment - Mostly service community - food, real estate, medical etc little in the way of production or manufacturing facilities.

Religion - Very strong and most mainstream religions are represented with churches

Real Estate - inflated the subprime captial of central Texas (my opionion) I'm sure things are getting adjusted but that won't prevent owners from "thinking" their house for sale is worth $150 per foot.

Utilities - as things are regulated shop rates for the best deal. I can't recommend cable as we didn't have it when I lived there as a child and I was on Dish when we moved back in town.

Drugs and Gangs - With the interstate transit traffic and the other state highways you have that influence. Drug use seems par from the information I've read. Gangs and other crime is in line with a town of that size.

Shopping - great place for antique junkies, First Monday Trade Days once a month, Several supermarkets, just about anything you could want can be bought at a local retailer. One of my personal favorites was always the Farmers market it's been there forever and as long as you don't go on the peak times it's a great place to grab fresh veggies and local gossip

As with any town I've ever seen there is some level of strife with city government due to the human political aspects.

Bottom line is I would decide if I want a small town quiet feel (Peaster, Poolville) or a more mainstream town/city for making the decision.

P.S. I now live in Highlands, TX just 20 minutes East of Houston so I've come full circle - Small town to Big City (LA and Dallas) back to small town. The only time I get frustrated is when I can't find something now and HAVE to drive into the city.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I was born and raised in very small town, so that wouldn't be a culture shock to me. I also have lived in large cities during my military career, so I would be able to handle what ever comes my way in that form.

I've heard that Perrin-Whitt school district is pretty good, however, it's also extremely small with little form of work to establish itself. I believe it is somewhat close to mineral Wells, where perhaps there may be more work available? I'm sure I could compromise and work in just about any field that would hire me. I can adapt very easy. That would also put me outside Praker county where I hear the tax rates are much higher, including personal property tax/real estate??

Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 24,998 times
Your spot on for the lower property taxes outside Parker County (thus the Sub Prime comment above) but don't expect to find more work opportunities in Mineral Wells than in Weatherford as Mineral Wells took a BIG hit when they closed the base over there many years ago.

Perrin is a great place and your right about schools there as well. Just be prepared on the job front to travel unless your in construction or something that is more local.

I'm a software guru so I have to be near a metropolitan area to travel via air at the drop of a hat myself.

Best of luck to you and happy holidays

J

Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Thanks, Jequita. Same to you and yours.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,611 times
We heard a great jazz band once at the TX State Fair. I could swear they were from Weatherford College. A lot of fun.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
They undoubtedly were from Weatherford College. I am a professional musician and am friends with the former director of the jazz band there. He had a great jazz band, being a wonderful jazz guitarist himself.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 4 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jequita1 View Post
I grew up in Weatherford of course that was when it was a small town. Think, I remember when we got a Sonic drive in to give you an idea of how small it was at one time. Fast forward 15 years it became one of the hub bedroom communities for the DFW Metroplex and ballooned in size. Now it feels like a city rather than a town.

It's grown quite a bit, but it's not that bad. You still have that rural gap between West Fort Worth and Hudson Oaks, so you'll still actually have that country-style feeling there.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:42 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times
Oh my gosh, lone sailor, what an adorable baby. Boy or girl?

Old 12-25-2008, 07:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
case44: I wonder how long it will take for that gap between Hudson Oaks and Fort Worth to fill in. Aledo and the Annettas are growing fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas