Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 22,367 times

Advertisements

Of the 3, which do you think is best area to live in? My son-in-law just started a new job in Odessa, so we have to relocate, but keep hearing how flat and ugly the city is. Does Midland have the same typography? Looked at Big Spring's Chamber of Commerce site, and it appears there might be some hills/very small mountains...

Have always dreamed of retiring in a log cabin on a river near the mountains. Think this might continue to be a dream!!lol

My health is not very good, and I don't get out that much, so entertainment, restaurants is not really an issue. Besides, can always drive the 20 or so miles from Big Spring to Midland for those activities. Since I will be 60 in December, and I know all the fellows my age are dating 20 year olds...finding male companionship is not an issue either.

If anyone has spent any time at all in these areas, would love to hear from you. I suspect my major problem in any of these cities would be the fact that I am NOT a Bush admirer, and apparently he is from this area.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 AM

384 posts, read 1,670,031 times
Hi Cathy, we are moving to Midland this summer, my husband is already working in Big Spring (staying in temp. housing) but he wants to buy a house in Midland because we have young children and there are more activities and things for children in Midland. The houses go fast and many have sold withing a few days of going on the market but I know we will find something, we just have to be quicker about it! With virtual tours on the internet and working with a good realtor who knows our needs, I am trusting my husband to pick out something for us by July! (Otherwise we will be living at the Comfort Suites!!) My husband doesn't mind the commute to Big Spring from Midland because it's all interstate and light traffic. He did say it was kind of scary driving through a big dust storm they had a few days ago but he just basically had to slow down on the interstate. He finds the people in Big Spring and Midland to be very friendly and helpful. The area, he admits is not as beautiful as where we are currently living in Virginia, but he hated his job here and is really enjoying his new job in Big Spring (at a hospital)

We are looking for a house with trees and a nice yard in a nice neighborhood hopefully with a community pool. (there are several like this actually) so I am hopeful.

Best wishes! I've done a lot of research on the area and have spoken to many people at such places as the Chamber of Commerce, the museums, the aquatic center etc so I am getting a feel for the kinds of activities offerred in Midland and it's all there!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions and I"ll try to answer them!

Pam

Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 AM

15 posts, read 67,127 times
I grew up in Andrews just outside of Midland/Odessa and I loved it. I'm in Houston now but still own a house in Odessa that I use for rental income. If I could figure a way to move back to Odessa financially I would. If you S-I-L is working in Odessa I would recommend living in Odessa. The topography is not significantly different for any of the cities and the schools in Midland & Odessa are on par with each other.

Several people will talk about commute times versus commute distance saying that the average commute is 45 minutes for 10 miles in Dallas and 45 minutes for 50 miles in Odessa and that is true. However, your engine doesn't care how long it takes to get there and 50 miles of fuel one way is going to be painful in the long run. Granted most people don't drive a 15 mpg diesel like me but even a 25 mpg Toyota is going to cost you upwards of $3,000 per year just in commuting fuel with a 50 mile one-way trip 5 days a week...

Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyjb View Post
Of the 3, which do you think is best area to live in? My son-in-law just started a new job in Odessa, so we have to relocate, but keep hearing how flat and ugly the city is. Does Midland have the same typography? Looked at Big Spring's Chamber of Commerce site, and it appears there might be some hills/very small mountains...

Have always dreamed of retiring in a log cabin on a river near the mountains. Think this might continue to be a dream!!lol

My health is not very good, and I don't get out that much, so entertainment, restaurants is not really an issue. Besides, can always drive the 20 or so miles from Big Spring to Midland for those activities. Since I will be 60 in December, and I know all the fellows my age are dating 20 year olds...finding male companionship is not an issue either.

If anyone has spent any time at all in these areas, would love to hear from you. I suspect my major problem in any of these cities would be the fact that I am NOT a Bush admirer, and apparently he is from this area.

Thanks everyone!
The best one to live in depends. If the topography is your primary concern then Big Spring is best. It actually has some hills and I believe a river. None of the three has anything like a mountain but you could probably build a log cabin in any one of them. The difference in environment between the three is not great. Also note that Big Spring is more like 50 miles from Midland.

Midland and Odessa are both flat and ugly with respect to the natural environment. Midland is considered better looking within the city however. Odessa has many industrial buildings and working class neighborhoods that many consider ugly. But both cities have nice areas. Since your SIL is going to be working in Odessa I would recommend the east side of Odessa. It is pretty nice and cheaper than comparable areas of Midland, but Midland would be a fine choice also.

If you want a log cabin in the mountains you may have to look farther west. New Mexico is fairly close. I know many people in Midland/Odessa who have cabins in Ruidoso for weekend retreats and ski trips in the winter.

George Bush lived in Midland for a while and some Midlanders can be pretty defensive if you attack him. One thing to avoid is coming to the area with the attitude that everyone who lives here are bunch of ignorant, inbreed hicks who blindly support Bush. That will make you a pariah pretty fast. Its not so much that people just love Bush(even though some do) but that a lot people attack the entire city or area or because of Bush.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:49 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
What's wrong with liking Bush?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
What's wrong with liking Bush?
He is pretty unpopular right now. Some people don't like him because they feel he doesn't listen well and is too eager to "go it alone". Some oppose war on moral grounds. Others don't oppose war but feel that he has done a poor job with Iraq and/or Afghanistan or feel that the war in Iraq was not necessary at all. Some don't like him because he has not be conservative enough allowing, along with congress, large budget deficits and being weak on border security. But there is nothing wrong with liking him, its just that he is a polarizing figure.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 22,367 times
Thanks to all for the responses. Guess we're just gonna have to take a trip over there and see for ourselves. The area doesn't sound like my cuppa tea, but other son-in-law is moving to Reno, so will be able to see mountains at least part of the year!!lol

And Lucidus....if Bush had been president when I was in my 30's and very, very feisty, I might be worried. Old age has shown me there are times when one should just bite their tongue instead of sharing their views. Unless, of course, when someone is being hateful or racist...can't keep my mouth shut then.lol

Again...thanks everyone!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:29 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,842 times
I currently live in Andrews. Just wanted to point out some positives and negatives of these cities. All 3 are ugly in the sense that they are very dry and not very green. They all have their more attractive areas, and sunsets are usually nice. It can get very windy (and dusty) and hot. Big Spring is on the side of a hill, and looks very nice at nightime. Traffic is great in all 3, not too many people. Midland is more up-scale, Odessa is more "party", and I don't know how to describe Big Spring. Big Spring has a large mental institution which puts it at the center for many regional jokes. It is Bush country and I'd say about 70% are big Bush fans. The people are usually very friendly, though I've noticed Big Spring has a fairly large amount of crime (at least for a city that size). Glad to answer any specific questions you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas