Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 13,803 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I've been reading a lot of threads and am getting some mixed info on Temple, Tx. Am really considering a move as a nurse to work at Scott and White Hospital there. I want to find a nice place to live to fit my lifestyle. Any help?

I'm 28, single, like to be active, go out on occasions and just want to enjoy life. I hear Austin is a great place for that, which would mean a good hour drive for me. Is there another town/city that anyone would suggest that might be anywhere in between that would be a good fit? I'm from a boring small town in upstate NY, so I am ready for a challenge and more excitement.

Thanks for any info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,367 times
Girl, when you've been in Texas long enough, driving for one hour is no big deal!!!!! Seriously, you will get used to higher speed limits (70-80 mph) and having to drive to get somewhere. You're from up north too, so you will LOVE the Texas winters. Take it from a girl who grew up in NH. I've lived in TX for 8 yrs and I love the weather--no wind ripping across your face and no shoveling at 2 am...

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,204 times
I too am planning to return to Central Texas, after several years in upstate NY. Austin sounds like a good fit for you. Maybe Waco?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 AM

The winters are one of the main driving forces of me looking down south...hate the cold, shoveling and not having much sun all year round gets very depressing!! I guess driving an hour wouldn't bother me so much if I only had to do it a few days a week working 12 hour shifts. I just want to make the right choice and dont want to get stuck in a lease somewhere and want to move later.

And I dont need to be in a HUGE town, but would enjoy going to concerts, comedy clubs, out to the bar for an occaasional drink, hiking, taking a bikeride, etc. I dont mind staying in for a quiet evening but also need a little variety in life and want to meet people. So Waco could offer that as well???

Thanks for your posts BTW..having other people move from NY & NH to Texas gives me peace of mind because some ppl's reactions here are "why are you moving all the way there for a job?". Haha..we'll see what they have to say when they are freezing their butts off in the winter and I'm still in a t-shirt

Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
nkyann, driving from Temple to get somewhere in Austin may take an hour but half way there you're in Georgetown, then Round Rock. They blend right into Austin and you can't really tell the difference so it seems more like about 40 minutes. And the traffic in Austin is so bad it takes about that long to get anywhere when there. Being in Temple would give you the advantage of missing that traffic and when going to party in Austin the University, capital and party district are right along the interstate.

S&W has a good repute statewide and has affiliation with Texas top universities. It may be a rewarding experience for you. Another advantage of the Temple/Fort Hood area is that there are people from all over the country. Fort Hood is said to be the largest active Army post in the country, possibly outside the middle east. Google maps > 76543

And yeah, like madonnifyme says, driving for an hour is not unusual for Texas. Google maps > Texas

Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking Round Rock might be a better suit for me, and maybe the drive would be worth it. Temple would probably be okay for a few months then I know I would need something more exciting. I can't wait to come check out these places in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas