Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times

Advertisements

*sorry, it should be "positives"

Anyways, d
oes anyone here in Texas have any positive comments to share about the Northeast?

I've gone into so many threads where there are negative and rude comments about the Northeast. I thought Texas was all about being friendly and positive. At least that's what everyone tells me...

I think it's silly when people group all Northerners as "complainers". Please stop with this mentality. People are people everywhere now. Texans generally don't feel any different from Northerners to me (yeah, maybe in the type of accents we have). I've spent equal amounts of time in the North and the South. I'm basically a hybrid... Texan/Northerner.

Please, don't be hypocritical Texans. Be friendly to everyone. It seems like so many people stereotype Northern people as being rude, arrogant, snobby, etc. Being rude back doesn't get anywhere.

Let's talk positive about the Northeast and show any Northerner who happens to pass by this thread that we have some love for them too!

Last edited by LiveUrban; 08-18-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
*sorry, it should be "positives"

Anyways, d
oes anyone here in Texas have any positive comments to share about the Northeast?

I've gone into so many threads where there are negative and rude comments about the Northeast. I thought Texas was all about being friendly and positive. At least that's what everyone tells me...

Maybe they were talking about being friendly to everyone except Northerners.

Here's a quoted comment by someone in the San Antonio forum. Very childish. (by the way, the person he was referring to wasn't complaining, he was speaking the truth and it wasn't completely negative)

I love how he groups all Northerners as "complainers". Stop with this mentality. People are people everywhere now. People in Texas don't feel any different from Northerners to me. I've spent equal amounts of time in the North and the South.

Please, don't be hypocritical Texans. Be friendly to everyone. It seems like so many people stereotype Northern people as being rude, arrogant, snobby, etc. You've probably never been up North or spent a significant enough time to complain about it.
I've never met a Northeasterner who I could actually tolerate and get along with. That's just being real, but I love how historic and dense the cities are in the north (This is if you count the DC area as the north).

I'm sure its lots of great friendly people up there, but from my experience I've never met one.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:34 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Well, to be fair you quoted someone who flies off the chain whenever someone tries to say something nice about a place that isnt San Antonio. I tried to say something positive about Dallas and he came at me trashing Dallas to make San Antonio look good. He is a bad example.

Im not from Texas, but I live here. I love the Northeast for visiting. Im sure most Texans also like visiting the Northeast. Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about the north since ive been here.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,727 times
I got some positives things to say about Northeast.

I was just in Northeast a week ago for the first to visit my best friends.

I'm very surprise how much trees they have in Rhode Island, CT, New York (Outside of NYC), and Boston. I always thought Northeast is already "developed" but I was wrong. However, it still doesn't feel Texas to me and I don't mean in a bad way.

The seafood and Italian food in Northeast are great especially the lobsters that is cheap up there.

I loved how they have so many Yachts. There are boats everywhere like EVERYWHERE.

If I had to live somewhere in Northeast, it would be New York City. I didn't feel culture shock anywhere in Northeast.

The parents in there are so dedicated to their kids.

If you can allow me one negative comment... People are not friendly. Please don't get me wrong, my friends up there even said that and they were born there and they also lived in Texas for more than 10 years. They said it is just how their culture is.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Is there a real question in this, or is this yet another thinly-veiled reprimand from an intellectually superior nanny?

I don't suppose this nastiness could possibly go both ways. Oh no, it couldn't possibly...
Warnings of moving to the south

Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
This one's a real gem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE-GUY View Post
I feel your pain! left upstate ny 17 months ago, living in south carolina hate it house is for sale moving back ASAP.This back stabbing rebel flag flying red neck south really does not like us yankee's, my friends from long island had there childrens teacher refer to them as "let the yankee answer the question" and there 6th grade teacher tells the class that if a women was walking down a street in ny and was getting raped no one would stop and help! Hello do you know that NYC is as safe a place today as it was in the 1940s that is according to police crime records!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Good stuff about the Northeast... Yep.. a bunch...

I have lived in Austin for 17 years, and am in the process of moving back to the Northeast.

Here's my list:

1) Four true seasons with a breathtakingly beautiful autumn.
2) Twelve major professional sports teams within two and a half hours of my house in Connecticut.
3) The public transportation makes traveling between two cities convenient.
4) Mild Summers and miles of coastline and fresh seafood.
5) Nonstop flights to anywhere in the world.
6) A greater sense of privacy since people mind their own business.
7) Few gangs and low crime-- NYC is the safest large city in the country.
8) High quality options in secondary education and college education-- No Harvard in Texas.
9) Restaurants are more mom and pop than chains. I found the ethnic food -excepting Mexican and BBQ- to be better overall.
10) It's closer to my family!

That's my list. It's not an anti-Texas list, so please don't be an idiot and try to argue with my opinions. They are just my opinions, so get a grip.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
This one's a real gem:
What's your point? I asked a simple question. I thought Texans would be able to handle a simple question without ruining the thread. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Sure, there's quite a few things.

For one thing, I raise (or raised - I've downsized now) Morgan horses. From Vermont. So I've spent some little time up there, plus my son lived in NYC for some years.

The fact that rivers, actual rivers, freeze over in winter to the point that you can drive trucks on them. I wouldn't want to live all winter that way (love my heat!), but it sure is nice to visit, especially when you visit later at the end of spring thaw and that same river doesn't look like it could possibly ever freeze over.

The trees. I love all kinds of trees, and there are some beautifully tall ones there.

There's a truly great Italian restaurant in Boston that I'm very fond of, and used to be (may still be) a great Afghani restaurant in D.C. (Don't know if that counts as Northeast, though.)

I don't really have any problems with the Northeast (except perhaps the sheer number of people in some areas). My only problem is with those from the Northeast who come here and proceed to tell us how much better everything is there and how we should be doing things their way. Same with Californians. It's a very small minority of the people from there, and it's also something of a cultural difference (I keep reminding myself). The ones that come here and stay long enough to actually get to know the place and how and why we do things, and then perhaps make a suggestion or two, I have no problem with and actively welcome, wherever they might be from.

But the Northeast in and of itself? Beautiful place. Just like Texas is.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

By the way, I forgot to mention California. So many negative comments about California as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas