Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 AM

66 posts, read 323,775 times

Advertisements

La marque

Dickinson

Texas city

Santa fe

Hitchcock

Bayou vista
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:31 AM

66 posts, read 323,775 times
which one would be the best place to live and why?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Don't know anything about Bayou Vista. I would not recommend the other ones as many parts are poor/run down or smell like a refinery (Texas City). There are some good pockets but those are the exception, not the rule. The only town in Galveston County I'd recommend is League City. It is a consistently nice.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
Santa Fe would also probably be fine, but it's really a small town, not a lot to do. Texas City/Dickinson/La Marque....Out of those 3 I'd pick Dickinson if I had to, but otherwise I'd go along with tstone and look just a tad further up the freeway at League City/Seabrook/Webster.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
League City and Friendswood are the best choices in Galveston County.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
tstone summed it up nicely. League City is the best in Galv. County. Growth from the southernmost end of League City is spilling into Dickinson city limits with all the new development on I45, so Dickinson may be changing in the near future.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,240 times
My daughter lives in a new subdivision in Dickinson, and it is very nice with a lot of shopping nearby, yet quiet.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Dickinson was ''coming up'' around the Bay Colony neighborhood during the housing boom, but that growth was the Clear Lake area's exurban-subprime spot when that was going on. Since the bust, property values have likely gone down since it was built in '04, so you should be able to get a good deal out there. Think twice about it if you don't work there. Shopping/dining = new stores, basically big box & chains, the usual exurban fare. The Houston side of Clear Lake and towards NASA & Boeing has more established variety but good luck dealing with traffic to get there; it is a nightmare on 45.

I forgot part of Friendswood is in Galveston county (and part Harris). Friendswood is very nice if you like a more upper-income country feel. I forgot to mention Kemah has some nice areas as well, also in Galveston county, but beware-- you are right there on the water and it can get noisy w/ that Boardwalk's wooden roller coaster if you live next to it.

BTW Seabrook and Webster are both entirely in Harris county. Seabrook seems nice but Webster is not very nice, not that bad though. City of Webster is basically Clear Lake's main shopping district.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 PM

14 posts, read 35,693 times
Bayou Vista got pummeled by Hurricane Ike. Santa Fe and Hitchcock are close to Galveston, but are more rural. Texas City is very, very, very polluted and industrial. Extrememly polluted, very smelly....lots of chemical plants that put out fumes 24/7. No one can deny it....the place smells really bad. La Marque is very high crime and not much going on there (not alot of new development). Dickinson is the best out of what you listed, as long as you don't mind the long-time mecca off the freeway that can only be known as "Heartbreakers". There are some reaaallllly bad crack-town areas all throughout Dickinson though, so be careful. There is a newer part of League City though that is practically Dicksinson, it's called "Victory Lakes". It is all brand new homes and retail development, all very nice. If you go just one or two more miles back up I-45 your in League City and the choices there are unlimited and alot better.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:59 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
I'd say none of the above and choose Friendswood, League City or Nassau Bay instead.

Of course there's the island itself, that does have some nice historic neighborhoods, but that's a mixed bag and probably takes a special kind of person to live there.

If you had to choose one from your list, I'd say Dickinson.

Texas City is a very industrial town with not much else there. La Marque and Bayou Vista are right next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas