Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
...and, from that, you somehow got that I was saying all three of those cities were in the same tier, when common sense should've told you that I was simply saying that I prefer them over Dallas and Houston.

Y'all are always seeing stuff that just isn't there.
I got what you meant. Still, I was puzzled why we were seeing pics of those cities, along with your earlier talk of Chicago, when the question was simply aimed at preference for either Dallas or Houston.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
To the average person it doesnt look much bigger. Both cities have a big cluster, Houston has two towers that stand up over the rest, Dallas has one. Houston has a few nice buildings, Dallas has more.
I give Dallas's skyline the nod over Houston's myself, but this is false. Houston's skyline feels way more massive than Dallas's any day. And i consider myself an average person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Dallas buildings are skinnier because they all have a design element to them. They're not just big square boxes. Houston does have interesting buildings downtown but not nearly enough to out stand the millions of bland beige boxes that make up the rest of the Houston skyline. Thats the cohesivness that some Houstonians rave about.....No Thanks.....I'll take Downtown Dallas
Your homerism and arrogance is showing as bright as your guy's Omni Hotel. Houston's skyline is more than just some bland beige boxes. Dallas's architecture may be more inspiring but lets be real for a minute. How many more architecturally- graced buildings does downtown Dallas have? Not that many: Fountain Place, JP Morgan Chase, and the Bank of America tower are your three front-runners. I would say Houston's Bank of America plaza alone beats any of the architecture in Dallas. Houston also has Esperson buildings, and some say the Penzoil Place building (although i'm not that impressed). I happen to like Houston's Wells Fargo plaza and it is not a boxy building like you try to say.

I kind of agree with Htown though, Uptown Dallas's skyline saves downtown.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I give Dallas's skyline the nod over Houston's myself, but this is false. Houston's skyline feels way more massive than Dallas's any day. And i consider myself an average person.

Your homerism and arrogance is showing as bright as your guy's Omni Hotel. Houston's skyline is more than just some bland beige boxes. Dallas's architecture may be more inspiring but lets be real for a minute. How many more architecturally- graced buildings does downtown Dallas have? Not that many: Fountain Place, JP Morgan Chase, and the Bank of America tower are your three front-runners. I would say Houston's Bank of America plaza alone beats any of the architecture in Dallas. Houston also has Esperson buildings, and some say the Penzoil Place building (although i'm not that impressed). I happen to like Houston's Wells Fargo plaza and it is not a boxy building like you try to say.

I kind of agree with Htown though, Uptown Dallas's skyline saves downtown.
Ahhhhh.....but this is where houstons skyline being waay bigger comes into play. Lets say Houston does have just as many or a few more interesting buildings as Dallas. Since it has twice or maybe even 3 times as many buildings as dtd it leaves twice or maybe 3 times as many buildings that are uninteresting. In downtwn Dallas we dont have those kinda buildings..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I got what you meant. Still, I was puzzled why we were seeing pics of those cities, along with your earlier talk of Chicago, when the question was simply aimed at preference for either Dallas or Houston.
Yeah, that's just my way of calling out the ridiculousness of them acting like there are astronomical differences between these two cities' skylines.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yeah, that's just my way of calling out the ridiculousness of them acting like there are astronomical differences between these two cities' skylines.
Agreed. It's difficult to say one is clearly more attractive than the other. I still think I prefer Houston's more elegant, sculptural cohesiveness to Dallas' collection of individual structures. From some angles, though, a lot of people unfamiliar with the standout buildings in each city might mistake one for the other.

I've seen that happen in advertising before. I also once saw an Atlanta Falcons souvenir soft drink cup with a graphic of the Houston skyline printed on it.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Ahhhhh.....but this is where houstons skyline being waay bigger comes into play. Lets say Houston does have just as many or a few more interesting buildings as Dallas. Since it has twice or maybe even 3 times as many buildings as dtd it leaves twice or maybe 3 times as many buildings that are uninteresting. In downtwn Dallas we dont have those kinda buildings..
ok that's fair

Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
downtown Dallas doesnt have uninteresting, boxy buildings that lack architectural inspiration?

over half of the buildings in these pictures look very boring and boxy..

yes dallas has a handful of pretty buildings, but dont let those distract you from all the ugly boring buildings it also has..

Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
The first and third pictures make the skyline look pretty tiny.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Dallas buildings are skinnier because they all have a design element to them. They're not just big square boxes. Houston does have interesting buildings downtown but not nearly enough to out stand the millions of bland beige boxes that make up the rest of the Houston skyline. Thats the cohesivness that some Houstonians rave about.....No Thanks.....I'll take Downtown Dallas
..I still stand behind this.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
..I still stand behind this.
then i stand behind this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Your homerism and arrogance is showing as bright as your guy's Omni Hotel.
how can you try to shrug that off with some rolling eyes? most of the buildings in Downtown Dallas are boring and boxy too, theres no denying it... lets face it, downtowns are corporate districts. corporations are all about profits, and its just much cheaper and economical to build boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas