Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
How 'bout you tell me so it will give me a reason to go.
Why dont you just wallow in ignorance then.

Okay, i will be nice and post pictures when i get home.
Downtown Houston has been pushing greenspace for a while now. Lots of concerts in the 12 or so parks in downtown.
Then they are expanding patio eating.
They are trying to create a shopping district to connect main street square to the convention district.

They are narrowing streets and expanding sidewalks to promote walking.

They have connected downtown to nearby neighborhoods via pedestrian bridges and bike only lanes.

They are ramping up beautifying projects by sticking plants in every cranny they can find.

They are trippling the rail stations downtown.
They are making the Ballpark district more pedestrian friendly by blunting the flow of traffic.

They are integrating the East side of Downtown with downtown itself by easing the access across 59.

They are making it more liveable by increasing groceries and restaurants.

Should I go on?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
note the emphasis on the "super tall heights" part. of course every skyscraper has a flashing light at the top for air planes but most arent 1000 ft in the air.
Its required by the FAA, but not every building complies with it, unfortunately.

I've seen many skyscrapers in both Houston & Dallas without those red obstruction beacons on top.

Chevron Tower in Houston doesn't as I just saw it the other night.

Most buildings in Uptown don't have any either. Next time you're there see for yourself.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-25-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 12:51 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Why dont you just wallow in ignorance then.

Okay, i will be nice and post pictures when i get home.
Downtown Houston has been pushing greenspace for a while now. Lots of concerts in the 12 or so parks in downtown.
Then they are expanding patio eating.
They are trying to create a shopping district to connect main street square to the convention district.

They are narrowing streets and expanding sidewalks to promote walking.

They have connected downtown to nearby neighborhoods via pedestrian bridges and bike only lanes.

They are ramping up beautifying projects by sticking plants in every cranny they can find.

They are trippling the rail stations downtown.
They are making the Ballpark district more pedestrian friendly by blunting the flow of traffic.

They are integrating the East side of Downtown with downtown itself by easing the access across 59.

They are making it more liveable by increasing groceries and restaurants.

Should I go on?
That sounds great. I wish I could visit soon but I'll be going to Atlanta next month.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM

It will be here when you get back.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dallas kinda looks like Las Vegas version of NY.

The buildings are all tiny little pristine little boxes.

Houstons buildings look so much more substantial. They are not just taller, they are meaty.

Dunno, but Dallas skyline just looks like toys.
Lmao. The person who repped this post and left a criptic message, thanks for the awesome laugh.

Took a couple days to get to it, but it sure made me chuckle.

It was such a Scooby Doo admonition.

It began : " take heed, and heed well"

Lol then it went on about bad things coming back tenfold.
Lol, so awesome

Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
the first couple pictures taken while driving today and the others were more nice ones i found online.

the medical center to the far left, uptown in the middle, and downtown on the right

Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
man that Dallas night skyline flood shot is awesome.

But that 5th photo of Houston in TT's post takes the cake. If only Houston would bring the old Power of Houston back, Dallas's night skyline wouldn't stand a chance.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:38 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
man that Dallas night skyline flood shot is awesome.

But that 5th photo of Houston in TT's post takes the cake. If only Houston would bring the old Power of Houston back, Dallas's night skyline wouldn't stand a chance.
Yeah I like that one too...Its probably the best Houston skyline shot I ever seen in my entire life.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Agreed, i loved that picture. Too bad i cant find it in a bigger size. Hopefully they bring back POH at some point because i never got to see it when i was younger.
Does anyone have any pictures of Houstons uptown skyline during christmas? It looks great when all the buildings are lit up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yeah I like that one too...Its probably the best Houston skyline shot I ever seen in my entire life.
Houston used to have a better looking skyline at night before the tropical storms and hurricanes that have come through over the last decade or so decided to bust up all the outdoor lighting. Its unfortunate that they never bothered replacing much of it. It would be nice if when these buildings start being renovated they decided to bring back the outdoor lighting (hopefully more durable this time).

Last edited by TexasTallest; 05-29-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas