Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Sorry, Houston only has 2 supertalls. That 300 antenna on Shell Plaza doesn't count. If antennas were to count in height, then the Sears Tower would have stayed the tallest building in the world until the Burj Khalifa, but as you can see, it didn't.
It may not count in the record books, but it does add to the height of the overall skyline (visually speaking) & there is no denying that.

One Shell Plaza is right at 1,000' with its needle like antenna, which flashes a slow steady red on its tip at night time so Southwest doesn't fly into it at those "super tall" heights.

In the 1960's when it was half the height it is now.

blog.chron.com

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-24-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It may not count in the record books, but it does add to the height of the overall skyline (visually speaking) & there is no denying that.

One Shell Plaza is right at 1,000' with its needle like antenna, which flashes a slow steady red on its tip at night time so Southwest doesn't fly into it at those "super tall" heights.

In the 1960's when it was half the height it is now.

blog.chron.com
What skyscraper doesn't have that?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Does that make it better?
it means downtown Houston has a substantially larger skyline than downtown and uptown Dallas combined, and last i checked we live in Texas where bigger is better.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What skyscraper doesn't have that?
note the emphasis on the "super tall heights" part. of course every skyscraper has a flashing light at the top for air planes but most arent 1000 ft in the air.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Your turn Texas Tallest
i like those dslr shots. unfortunately most of my pictures are taken on a cell phone while driving, but ive found a few nice ones on the internet to go along with them.

as Metro Matt pointed out, Houston has twice as many skyscrapers as Dallas.. anyone who has been to both cities could tell you that. i still dont see how there is even a comparison here? The tallest building in downtown Dallas is barely taller than the tallest building in uptown Houston, while the tallest building in uptown Dallas is the same floor count as the tallest building in the Texas Medical Center.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:36 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i like those dslr shots. unfortunately most of my pictures are taken on a cell phone while driving, but ive found a few nice ones on the internet to go along with them.

as Metro Matt pointed out, Houston has twice as many skyscrapers as Dallas.. anyone who has been to both cities could tell you that. i still dont see how there is even a comparison here? The tallest building in downtown Dallas is barely taller than the tallest building in uptown Houston, while the tallest building in uptown Dallas is the same floor count as the tallest building in the Texas Medical Center.
Nice shots!...yeah Houston is indeed the larger city in every regard. However we've all been down that road before and established that bigger DOES NOT mean better. Seattle's skyline is smaller than Dallas and Houston 's and it kills both Imo. Its the sexy-ness of Seattle's skyline that puts it above Dallas and Houston ...not the size.

dallasboi's "SEXY CITY CLUB OF THE U.S": (in no order)

*Dallas..(endorsed by Stoneclaw)
*Seattle
*Miami
*los Angeles
*Atlanta
*vegas

Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Well bigger means a whole other category.

Dallas skyline is to small to compare.

Nice throwback shot of Houston MetroMatt. Have not seen that angle from that era.

Dallasboi you are crazy, Seattles skyline in uninspiring. It does not beat Dallas let alone Houston.

Texas Tallest, yeah i would compare Dallas to uptown Houstin or TMC not DTH.

Tier I
Downtown Houston

Tier II
Uptown Houston
Downtown +Uptown Dallas
TMC
Downtown Austin
Las Colinas
Energy corridor

Tier III
Greenway Plaza
Greenspoint
Downtown San Antonio
Downtown Fort Worth

Tier 3 has less than 20M in floor space
Tier 2 has 20 to 40M in floor Space
Tier 1 has over 40 M in floor space

Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
TT...feeling the 5th pic!

No skyscrapper in Texas can match the architecture of B of A, Enron Complex, the Williams Tower and Wells Fargo Plaza (this is a really nice building up close).

Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
it means downtown Houston has a substantially larger skyline than downtown and uptown Dallas combined, and last i checked we live in Texas where bigger is better.
Yes, Houston's skyline is big; when it comes to architecture of the skyscrapers it lacks.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Houston can build all the skyscrapers they want, but if the buildings fail to create a vibrant area around the base, then there's no point of it being built. Heck, they should just build a large suburban office campus. Skyscrapers in a urban area are suppose to create an urban environment that encourages walking, dining, etc. within the area that it's built. They are not made just to look pretty from afar.

Some of the office towers in Dallas, including the Bank of America Plaza are currently being renovated. Some of the things that will be improved is the entry area of the building. They realize that if the building's base is more inviting it will make a more vibrant area. (Also the lighting is being replace with LED's, which is so Dallas ) But seriously the area around the base of some of the tallest skyscrapers in Houston needs to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas