Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Eat/Prepare Black-Eyed Peas on New Years Day?
Native Texan --Yes 21 52.50%
Native Texan -- No 7 17.50%
Non-Native Texan (Southern U.S origin) -- Yes 3 7.50%
Non-Native Texan (Southern U.S. origin) -- No 1 2.50%
Non-Native Texan (NE, Midwest, Far West origin) -- Yes 2 5.00%
Non-Native Texan (NE, Midwest, Far West origin) -- No 3 7.50%
Never heard/care about it one way or another! 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times

Advertisements

Although I love black-eyed peas, this year's new year's day menu is consisting of lamb, brown rice, garbanzo beans aka chickpeas, and a variety of vegetables. Gosh, I love those garbanzos plain better than when they're made in hummus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hey my good buddy...I hope you forgive me for good-naturedly sayin YOU need to be taken out and shot for making my mouth water over this mix of black-eyed peas and home-grown fried okra! *winks*

Gimme some cornbread, fresh black-eyed peas, and lightly coated cornmealed fried okra?

*dreaming here*...and you got a sweeeeeet bit of heaven.....
hahaha!

Wouldn't be the first time I've been shot at Brother!

You have a wonderful New Year's celebration with your family eatin' up those black-eyed peas!

Blessings in the New Year to You and Yours.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:02 AM

148 posts, read 358,464 times
A friend of mine is having a party tonight and serving black eyed peas and champagne at midnight. We cannot attend because of a previous engagement, but that is interesting.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Looking at the poll results thusfar, it appears that the native Texans eat black-eyed peas far in excess of anywhere else, including the South.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Looking at the poll results thusfar, it appears that the native Texans eat black-eyed peas far in excess of anywhere else, including the South.
That may explain why I had never heard of it before I moved to Texas!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM

122 posts, read 310,474 times
Since I'm not represented in your poll, I'll just say that I don't like black eyed peas and will never eat them and my wife who is Texan can't stand them either. We are not stupidstitious, I mean superstitious enough to believe that anything will give you luck.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I went and picked up some today...along with some tamales. We're weird We eat tamales for Christmas AND New Years. The Sauerkraut thing is also a German tradition. My GGrandmother used to make it for New Years. Our family has a habit of adopting different traditions for the holidays and that's why we always mixed my GGrandparents (maternal) German heritage with the Southern traditions. My moms grandpa liked Mexican traditions and that's how they started adding those in.

My dads side of the family only holds to their Southern traditions, so it's black eyed peas, greens or cabbage, and corn bread.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
That may explain why I had never heard of it before I moved to Texas!
LOL That may well be it, Moonlady!

Sometimes I even wonder if it is not more widespread in Texas -- nowdays -- than in other parts of the South! LOL

After all, in Texas, there is what is called "Texas Caviar"...which is essentially black-eyed pea chow-chow relish!

We in Texas always take things of eastern South origin to the extent it becomes to either the extremes of the sublime to ridiculous! *Grins good naturedly* Which is at least one reason in and of itself why we Texans are the most unique of Southern states!

Hell, in fact, there seems to be at least SOME sort of evidence the whole Southern tradition of eating black-eyed peas traces to a very clever East Texas feller who decided to advertize it that way!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
Native Texan, and I have never heard of this! But my mom is Mexican so a lot of our food traditions are more based on that than Texan ones. The holidays to me mean homemade tamales! Yum!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Native Texan, and I have never heard of this! But my mom is Mexican so a lot of our food traditions are more based on that than Texan ones. The holidays to me mean homemade tamales! Yum!
LOL Our next door neighbors are Mexican and they brought us over some tamales this year. Great eating! In turn, I intend to take them some fresh black-eyed peas tomorow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: