Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,696 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good Safety Professional job in southern Texas - like Houston, Austin, San Antonio and surrounding areas.

My main question is what in general is the attitude towords inter-racial marriages. I'm white and my wife is black. We believe the closer you are to metro areas the less obvious is the problem. What are some of your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,581 times
As I have seen it at the company I work for, it does not matter. If you have the talent, nothing else matters.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 AM

27 posts, read 137,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveLAtoTexas View Post
I'm looking for a good Safety Professional job in southern Texas - like Houston, Austin, San Antonio and surrounding areas.

My main question is what in general is the attitude towords inter-racial marriages. I'm white and my wife is black. We believe the closer you are to metro areas the less obvious is the problem. What are some of your experiences.
You can check out www.chron.com for jobs. I've seen safety positions listed in the past, but haven't been looking lately. I don't think you'd have any problem in the Houston area with the interracial situation.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I think unless you move to Orange, Tx you won't have a problem anywhere else you choose to live.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 PM

Houston is considered SE Texas, Austin and San Antonio are Central Texas. South Texas would be Corpus Christi, Laredo, Brownsville. I live in Hutto which is North East of Austin (abt. 30 mins) and even here, there are no problems.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:17 PM

75 posts, read 381,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I think unless you move to Orange, Tx you won't have a problem anywhere else you choose to live.
This is a pretty rash statement! What makes you say this about Orange?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 PM

lesliegrace, I take it you live in Orange. I've lived in South Texas/Houston for most of my life. I have no personal knowledge of rascism in Orange, like you have none of Hutto. I'm sorry if anyone took my post as "vicious" like you said. All I know is what was talked about by people I knew at the time. A lot of them spent time going back and forth from Texas to Louisiana and that is just what they said. So, on my own personal experience, it would be heresay I suppose, and again, I offer an apology to ANYONE who was offended by my post.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 AM

75 posts, read 381,934 times
love roses,

In the private post I sent you, the word I used was malicious rather than vicious; I thought you might have some sort of hidden agenda.

I think if you are opposed to a place, you should explain why. It isn't too helpful to just say, "______ is horrible, it is the most awful place in the world," or "_______ is the only place in Texas that I wouldn't live" unless you explain and give specific examples. I also think it helps to have personal knowledge of a place before you trash it or recommend it.

To get back to the original poster's question, in my experience, inter-racial couples are accepted in Orange; they are not ostracized. I have lived in Orange my whole life, so I do know something about the town. On the other hand, my husband and I are not an inter-racial couple; if we were, our experiences would be more pertinent to the discussion.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,877 times
I know you wouldn't have a problem in the Brownsville, TX, area and I'm pretty sure there would be no problem in Houston where I now live, either. I would guess there would be none in San Antonio and Austin but might be in the smaller, older and less cosmopolitan areas.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Stick to the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas