Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,193,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
Dopo, look at Dem strong hold states, TOILET. Now look at Repub states. Lesson over.
You mean like Arizona, Georgia, Wisconsin, Nevada, And Kentucky? All Republican states and all are having major economic problems right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM

73,116 posts, read 62,771,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
You mean like Arizona, Georgia, Wisconsin, Nevada, And Kentucky? All Republican states and all are having major economic problems right now.
Wisconsin isn't a Republican state. Nevada is more purple if anything. But you have a good point. Georgia is a Republican state and it is having problems. It has been having problems for a while. In 2007, the drought was so bad that there was the threat of running out of water. The economy has been going bad in Georgia too. I should know because I live there. Louisiana is a Republican state and there have been alot of problems there for the last 5 years. Actually, some of the most violent cities in the USA(Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans(the nation's murder capital), Memphis, Jackson) are in Republican states.

Texas hasn't gone bad because it has alot to fall back on.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,459,633 times
Well, now, Louisiana had to deal with the aftermath of Katrina, so I don't know if that's quite fair.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, now, Louisiana had to deal with the aftermath of Katrina, so I don't know if that's quite fair.
I have family from Louisiana, mainly near New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Things were bad before Katrina.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,193,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Wisconsin isn't a Republican state. Nevada is more purple if anything. But you have a good point. Georgia is a Republican state and it is having problems. It has been having problems for a while. In 2007, the drought was so bad that there was the threat of running out of water. The economy has been going bad in Georgia too. I should know because I live there. Louisiana is a Republican state and there have been alot of problems there for the last 5 years. Actually, some of the most violent cities in the USA(Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans(the nation's murder capital), Memphis, Jackson) are in Republican states.

Texas hasn't gone bad because it has alot to fall back on.
Also, if you look at Washington and Massachusetts, which are both very liberal states, haven't done all that bad during the recession compared to other states. That, and it's not like Texas hasn't had it's economic troubles in the past. I think your right about Texas though.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Also, if you look at Washington and Massachusetts, which are both very liberal states, haven't done all that bad during the recession compared to other states. That, and it's not like Texas hasn't had it's economic troubles in the past. I think your right about Texas though.
I lived in both Washington state and in Texas as a child. My father told me that he felt like he should have stayed in either Texas or Washington because he had stable work there. When I lived in Texas, it was the late 1980's, and the oil industry wasn't doing that great. My father was an engineer in Texas and found work in the aerospace industry. That is part of my point about Texas having things to fall back on. The same state that makes Doritos, Dell computers, and TI-84 calculators also makes rockets, aeroplanes, ice cream, helicopters, and other stuff. Dallas, a big oil city, is also home to Panda Energy:Panda Energy International, Inc. > Home. Texas is a big, diverse state with alot of things in it would make sense that Texas would stay relatively stable.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,153,291 times
I heard a local news commentator state this morning that polling research is showing that Bill White will easily win the governor's race in November if the Republican opponent is Rick Perry, but that he would have a more difficult time winning against Kay Bailey Hutchison.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,216,372 times
I'd be very surprised if a Democrat won, but we shall see. Hutchison has a lot more money to spend than Perry, who I think has worn out his welcome. He didn't do himself any favors with the Trans-TX Corridor fiasco.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,586,968 times
Quote:
I agree. I don't think the party necessarily has anything to do with it, or, let's just say, shouldn't be fully blamed. It's more of the person in charge. I think if you have some good leaders, the state can do well despite the political party.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,459,633 times
I think a great deal has to do with the people actually living in the state, as well, and their approach to life and finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas