Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Good for him!!

For one, he is right that there will be strings and federal government control that comes along with it.
If you guys feel so strong about rejecting $700 milllion dollars because of the "strings attached"....
why don't you go ahead and tell us what those "evil" strings attached are.

Or are you guys just guessing what those strings attached are going to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If you guys feel so strong about rejecting $700 milllion dollars because of the "strings attached"....

Well, I might've thought maybe the feds had a better idea than local governments over how to run schools but that got shot in the face a few years ago. So I've got to suspend my disbelief a bit to think that it would turn out differently if all the decision-making goes to Washington.

What was that line Dubya mangled? "Fool me once, shame on....fool me twice, won't get fooled again"

Old 01-14-2010, 11:12 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:

I think we mentioned a few of them earlier on the posts...didn't you read all the posts?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
As part of the program, you have to 1) accept their idea of a "good" lesson plan which I certainly do not agree with; 2) implement a whole new program that you are left having to find money to pay for when the funding runs out....and it will; 3) a whole host of other strings. I'm with jfre. I am not fond of the current governor, but I believe he is doing the correct thing in this.
I'm guessing that you are talking about this...

(1) Not specific. What is "their idea of a good lesson"?
(2) Not specific. What is that "new program that we won't find money to pay for"?
(3) Not specific. What are those other strings

Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Loss of local control and future unfunded mandates. Too many strings attached. I can see why they are taking a pass on it.
+1

I was waiting until I read it but you seem to have found a booger in the budget already. So no thanks. I'm glad he passed on it too.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The strings that come with that money are metrics to make sure kids are getting educated. You know the thing that Republicans always bleat about in regard to education.
Perry has gone past stupidity to being downright evil. He is willing to sacrifice childrens education to make some vague political point. Sick stuff.
I think you still miss a valid point. it's...MONEY FROM NOTHING..THIN AIR

Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Ok I invite the folks who want to reject the stimulus money because of its effect on the overall economy to stop shopping at Wal-Mart, too, because our ongoing trade deficit (1/2 - 2/3 of which is with China) doesn't help our economic standing, either.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ok I invite the folks who want to reject the stimulus money because of its effect on the overall economy to stop shopping at Wal-Mart, too, because our ongoing trade deficit (1/2 - 2/3 of which is with China) doesn't help our economic standing, either.
Done, retroactively. Although since we don't manufacture anything in this country anymore, it doesn't matter much.

Hell, maybe these people are right. Let's take the money from China and run, and then pay them back in worthless inflated greenbacks later.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
+1

I was waiting until I read it but you seem to have found a booger in the budget already. So no thanks. I'm glad he passed on it too.
Explain exactly how Texas would lose control of its education?
or are you just guessing that it's going to happen?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:30 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Can somebody please explain this s.... to me?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/13/us/AP-US-Texas-Education-Funding.html (broken link)

Texas won't compete for up to $700 million in federal stimulus money for education because the program ''smacks of a federal takeover of our public schools,'' Republican Gov. Rick Perry said Wednesday.The funding is from the U.S. Department of Education ''Race to the Top'' program, a $5 billion competitive fund that will award grants to states to improve education quality and results. The program, created in the economic stimulus law, is part of Democratic President Barack Obama's efforts to overhaul the nation's schools.
He said it would cost three million dollars in the long run to get $700,000.

Obama needs to stay out of Texas schools...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas