Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 14,842 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old college student and I will be graduating with my MBA in accounting a year from now. A friend of mine and I am from a small town near Grand Rapids, MI and would really like to move south to a bigger city for a while after school. It seems like a lot of fun and a good way to start my career. I haven't done a ton of research, so I am just looking for some ideas about where to start. The ideal place would be warm, have a good job outlook for accounting/finance, and have a very good nightlife scene. I have spent my whole life in a smaller city and would like to go out and live a little (and find some warmer weather than Michigan), any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
In Texas, I'd say Austin. I've lived many places in the state and Austin is THE place to be IMO. I spent 19 years there, not counting a previous period during university and for a year following. It has a great quality of life.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Based on your stated criteria, I would think that the 4 major metros in Texas should be the best spots for you (Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin, or San Antonio). I'm not sure which of those metros would have the best accounting/finance career outlook, but all of them have plenty of nightlife activities to enjoy.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:07 AM

89 posts, read 153,026 times
Your post really caught my attention as I was born and raised in Grand Rapids and moved to Houston 2 years ago for basically the same reasons you give for wanting to relocate.
Well, actually, I would have probably moved to LA if I had tons of money, but I had a friend already living in Houston (made things MUCH easier).
My expectations were rather low (you know all the Texas/Southern stereotypes), but I've really grown to love it here.
I can only speak for Houston — passed thru Dallas once and never been to Austin or San Antonio — but I think you'd like Houston. There's an active nightlife scene, great weather (give or take a few weeks), and it's close to the water (Gulf of Mexico).... oh, and Houston has palm trees (I had no idea before I moved here and was pleasantly surprised to see them, hehe)!
Not sure on which city would be optimal for your career, but I'm sure Houston is no slouch compared to the other major cities in Texas.

Last edited by Dionysus; 04-08-2010 at 12:36 AM..

Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Dallas is known to be the financial center but Houston also has a significant financial factor. Austin is overhyped and filled with too many UT grads trying to chase too few jobs.

BTW, try to refrain from referring to Texas as "The South". I know it's south of you, but Texas feels it is in a category all alone.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,568 times
Since you're young and looking for nightlife, I'd go with Austin.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 14,842 times
Thanks for all of the help!

Within Texas I was thinking either Houston or Austin area. Houston seems to be quite a bit of a bigger city, better job potential, and closer to the ocean. However, I don't know much about Austin and being close to UT sounds like a good time!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas is known to be the financial center but Houston also has a significant financial factor. Austin is overhyped and filled with too many UT grads trying to chase too few jobs.

BTW, try to refrain from referring to Texas as "The South". I know it's south of you, but Texas feels it is in a category all alone.
He didn't refer to Texas as "the South." He said moving south / move south.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:57 PM

18 posts, read 53,167 times
Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatensnow08 View Post
I am a 21 year old college student and I will be graduating with my MBA in accounting a year from now. A friend of mine and I am from a small town near Grand Rapids, MI and would really like to move south to a bigger city for a while after school. It seems like a lot of fun and a good way to start my career. I haven't done a ton of research, so I am just looking for some ideas about where to start. The ideal place would be warm, have a good job outlook for accounting/finance, and have a very good nightlife scene. I have spent my whole life in a smaller city and would like to go out and live a little (and find some warmer weather than Michigan), any suggestions?
Howdy,,,

Austin would be your best bet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas