Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,444 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find work in the Toledo area but haven't had much luck. I have lots of experience in restaurants but the places I've applied are fully staffed. I am willing to do almost any job and have even run a small business. Any advice or places you know are hiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM

9 posts, read 23,212 times
I also try hard to find a good job, but there is no lock.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
I imagine you've done this already, but check out Manpower's website to see what might be available. Post your resume, and if needed you can even use the training courses they have on their website. I haven't actually checked to see what courses they have but did notice they have a training section.

Companies know they have workers over a barrel right now, and can pay them very low wages. When I moved back to my hometown here in Toledo in 2007 I found a job making a measely $8/hour, but was grateful because I knew I could at least pay my rent, put food on the table, and pay other necessary bills. More than 3 years later I'm making a whole 24 cents more per hour. I receive no benefits, no holiday pay, no vacation pay, although we do get 4 paid time off days every 6 months which I use to cover the holidays.

I do know they plan on hiring before long, but it's for phones and probably only pays $7.50/hour. They hired the initial group of people in about a year ago for that job at that starting wage. They call people for the purpose of conducting surveys - the calls many of us hate to receive. I wouldn't want that job. But if you'll take almost any job and are willing to work for that wage, let me know and I'll get the info for you. I decided to work for the low wages 3 years ago thinking I'd find something better by now, but at least I've been able to pay my basic bills. That counts for something.

Jeff

Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM

227 posts, read 626,424 times
My honest suggestion is to pick out the top 3 places you would like to work... find out who makes those decisions and beat them over the head with how much you want to work there. That shows that you are truely interested in the job and have the energy and attitude to succeed. 99.9% of the unemployed are too shy or just have misconceptions about how these things work and wont take this advice. If you wait for a job posting, you are going to have to compete with a million other candidates, and the only people that make it to the top of the pile are the people that lied on their applications. It is the HR catch-22... They don't want to sort through a million applications any more then you want to be in a pool of a million applications.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,854,161 times
^ I intend on doing this. Im in the market for a new job because mine is wayy too far away. I intend on starting off by deciding which places I like or support the most (obviously where I think im qualified for some position - I have no real skills)....and telling them how awesome I think they are. Im going to try to brown nose my way into a new job. It probably wont work, but what have I got to lose. Maybe theyll find a reason to fire someone and give me their job.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM

227 posts, read 626,424 times
Trust me, they can tell the deference between real enthusiasm and brown-nosing. And if you are going to brown-nose... don't post your intentions on a public forum!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
I run several businesses here in Toledo, Ohio with the goal of revitalizing Toledo by hiring locally. Currently, we need good article/blog writers. We also offer generous referral commissions for any of our services.

For more information, please see what services we have to offer at [url=http://www.gwmo.com]GateWay Marketing Online - Home[/url] and other jobs we offer at [url=http://www.cashflow2010.com]Cashflow 2010 - Home[/url] and keep in touch with us on FaceBook and Twitter.

Heather and Cory
GateWay Marketing Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo