Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 39,653 times

Advertisements

East Toledo is a nice homey community. Every time I move away, I always return here to this side of the river, in Toledo. I could move to any side of town, but I always come back here. I like being able to walk down the street and have everyone say hello, including the children. And the prices here are a steal compared to the same size homes for the rest of the country!..I have lived here in East Toledo, off and on, since I was born (I moved to Florida for 10 years off and on total when I was married. Given the opportunity, of course, I would move back to the land of the white sand beaches though!). If you delve into the neighborhoods of East Toledo, you will find that many people are in the lower income bracket, or are wealthy and saving up for retirement. I'd say about half and half are rentals and homeowner-resided homes. I strongly suggest talking to a few of the neighbors before deciding on what street in East Toledo (or ANYWHERE) to move onto. Personally, you couldn't pay me to live on Earl Street; as I lived on a street that came off of it about 15 years ago. The Weiler Homes are on Earl Street, and there are many drug deals right out in the open in certain areas of Earl and the Weilers.. But there again, you have some retirees on fixed incomes that live there as well, that keep to themselves, as that is all they can afford is HUD housing. Even there, I would talk to some the the neighbors, at least six or seven different people that live on that street, before giving anyone money to move somewhere. I don't understand why more people don't do that before they move. If you are moving here from out-of-town, you can look up addresses online for the street you want to move to, and send postcards to about 10 of the neighbors and give them your telephone number to please call you before choosing a home, or send them a postage paid envelope to write you a note back telling you how they feel about where they live. I'll bet you would get a few back! When I moved into my home almost 10 years ago, I loved my neighborhood. Mostly homeowner-resided homes at the time, with very helpful and kind neighbors (except for next door to me where the biker-gathering was every weekend but at least we got along and I could TELL them if their music was too loud instead of starting something by calling the law, most were kind and not at all nosy, AND we all watched out for each other; not a lot of out-of-control children, mostly respectful and kind. There are two elementary schools within 3 blocks of where I live, a park, and a bowling alley, sounds ideal right? Now, this many years later, gangs are walking down into this area because our park is the only one for miles where there is still a basketball court that hasn't been torn up. But even those kids don't bother us much, they just walk by and make us keep our eyes on them here and there. It has JUST gotten to where I have started NOT to walk my dog at night like I used to. There are more rental homes and apartments than ever before, and many are owned by out-of-state investors, who rent to anyone who has the first months rent and a deposit. THOSE FEW people who move into those homes, are the ones who usually don't give a damn, and ruin the neighborhood (and our homey-friendly East Toledo reputation!) for everyone else. Some smoke pot out on their porches, leave trash all over out side their apartment building, party and have company all night long and have the "boom-boom-boom" music playing till all hours; they disrespect all the neighbors around them and basically bring down the entire community. You can find this anywhere in the lower income neighborhoods, and sometimes in the rich areas too! Those kinds of people are dotted around most everywhere. In conclusion: I would at least look for a place that has a fence. "Good fences make good neighbors". Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 39,653 times
PS. The Sun refinery only effects certain streets surrounding or near it. I am about 10 blocks away from the refinery near the Navarre Avenue side (Rt. 2 area) and I never, ever smell it. As a maater of fact, the orange light the "fire tower" or burn-off from it, sometimes lights up the sky just enough to make it not totally pitch black outside.The grounds around it are well maintained and they planted trees all around it about 3 years ago..Don't let that scare you away from East Toledo. Many people who have never lived over here, have no idea what it's like. There is less crime here than in the North end, that's for sure.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,774 times
you never forget your roots; i grew up in east toledo in the 60s ,no real bad memories. sometime iwish i could turn back the clock to happier days ,but who wouldn't. i have been enjoying the sun in ft myers fl since 1977,but i always try to make it back during the winter and walk down the streets i delivered the blade on. so if one cold snowy nite you see a stranger walking downthe side walk on ironwood ave ; please dont be alarmed its just me trying too turn back the clock.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
It really matters who you are and what you will be able to afford. Only consider East Toledo if your budget will be very small. Don't exclude it altogether. East is diverse - nobody would stand out as an "outsider" in East Toledo. The very affordable West neighborhoods near Downtown and further out between Nebraska and Bancroft also have a lot of crime and are not diverse. Also true is that there is some variation in the quality of the East Side with every individual block.

If you can afford it, go into Oregon, the West Side (north of Sylvania unless far west), or even into Michigan (where homes cost almost nothing, statewide).

It may be obvious to many posters to recommend Ottawa Hills, a new McMansion in Monclova, or a farmhouse on 80 acres just south of Ida, but not everyone has that kind of budget, especially these days.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM

227 posts, read 626,339 times
I know people that are happy living in East Toledo and I feel safe making the following statements:
- East Toledo is not a place for pretentious people.
- Real estate is very affordable.
- You don't want to live within a block or two of the refinery... there is never any doubt which way the wind is blowing.
- It isn't 1/4 as bad as people on the West side of the River make it sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo