Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM

64 posts, read 125,590 times

Advertisements

Toronto is a pretty expensive city. You can't compare Toronto to the rest of Canada because its the largest city in Canada. I live in Thunder Bay Ontario (near minnesota/manitoba) here is what I pay for the things you listed.

1. Car Insurance-140$ a month (2010 Ford Focus SES)
2. Utilities-About 200-300 every 3 months
3. Internet Subscription-37.99 a month 15 mbps connection(cheaper because bundled with tv/phoneline)
4. Cable TV-about 70$ a month for all hd channels+hd receiver(again cheaper cause bundled with phone/internet)
5. Wireless phone subscription-BB9700, 1 gig data 250 daytime mins etc. 65$ a month (Cell phone plans are expensive in Canada)
6. Public Transportation-only poor ppl/students use that here in tbay (Most ppl have cars here)

Overall things are a little more expensive here in Canada, but you have to remember, we have free healthcare and a better quality of life than the US. If you want to go shopping for stuff, go to the US, buy your ****. Come back to Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I for one would have to disagree that it's a lot less expensivein the USA. If you are thrifty and canny with your money then there is little difference. If it's not on a "greatly reduced" sale I just don't buy it, period!!! I would estimate that I save at least 50% on all my food because I shop specials only. Same thing with most other things except for cell phone and internet service where they have me!!!!
It is meaningless trying to argue that Toronto is not much more expensive than most US cities... My friends just took a vacation from LA to Vegas for less $50 including round trip airfair and 3 nights of hotel on the strip. Believe it or not. Yes, it is a special promo and not something you come across every day and they are very lucky to be able to get the package, but the thing is that you will NEVER see that kind of deal anywhere in Canada even in 100 years. We here consider a $400 ticket to Vancouver as a "super deal".

Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM

398 posts, read 733,022 times
Just about everything costs more in Canada, but unless you're way up north you are never too far from the U.S. border so you can always use U.S. shopping malls, airports, etc. when the need arises.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATOR View Post
Thank you so very much for the info. Yikes! Is Toronto that expensive? $300+ per month for car insurance? That is insane. I only pay $98 per month here (full coverage) for my sports car. Yikes! Internet subscription is very cheap here in SoCal. I am talking $14.99 / month for high speed internet! I only pay about $50 / month for electricity (A/C or heater on when I'm home).

Does this mean you get paid higher in Canada? I mean doesn't that mean you need to make at least $100K yearly to live comfortably (nice dwelling place, decent car, decent food, fun weekend, vacation, etc.)?

Why can't Canada do the same? Why do you guys think Canada is much more expensive than the US? Few competition? Monopoly? Government regulation?

Does the fact that living in the US is cheaper make Canadians want to move to the US?
Before applying to PR did you research salaries in your field? At least in IT they are lower in Toronto than say NY, Boston or DC. To get the best rates in car insurance you need to bring your driving record for as many years as you have. Also bring letters from your insurance company saying how long you have been insured with them. This will ensure you also get the correct class of license (G in Ontario)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto