Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
As stated above a lot of the reasons this behavior continues and escalates is because their is a lack of accountability.

Though at least if the perps are not Canadian citizens, there may be a way to exorcise them from the community.

"Sweeping immigration changes to give new power to minister

Measures crack down on 'foreign criminals' serving 6 months or more of jail time"
In the meant time, what to do about Canadian born criminais(that doesn't involve racial profiling)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In the meant time, what to do about Canadian born criminais(that doesn't involve racial profiling)?
Nowhere did I even mention racial profiling but given the relatively low Canadian crime rate in comparison to the States, I would say Canadians are doing a pretty good job of dealing with their low lifes.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Nowhere did I even mention racial profiling but given the relatively low Canadian crime rate in comparison to the States, I would say Canadians are doing a pretty good job of dealing with their low lifes.
I know you didn't. I was referring to other posts that have advocated racial profiling. I should have been much more clear about that. Sorry.

On another note, I wouldn't mind living in Canada myself. It is interesting. The USA has the death penalty, and uses it, and for some reason, there is still more violence in alot of USA cities compared to Canadian cities. I live in the metropolitan Atlanta area(albeit a small town an hour from Downtown Atlanta). Atlanta's violent crime rate has dropped alot since its days as the murder capital(in 1995, Atlanta had 50 murders per 100,000. It was even worse in 1990 with 64 murders per 100,000). It is around 17 murders per 100,000 today. However, Toronto's murder rate pales in comparison to Atlanta.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times
Quote:
I know you didn't. I was referring to other posts that have advocated racial profiling. I should have been much more clear about that. Sorry.

On another note, I wouldn't mind living in Canada myself. It is interesting. The USA has the death penalty, and uses it, and for some reason, there is still more violence in alot of USA cities compared to Canadian cities. I live in the metropolitan Atlanta area(albeit a small town an hour from Downtown Atlanta). Atlanta's violent crime rate has dropped alot since its days as the murder capital(in 1995, Atlanta had 50 murders per 100,000. It was even worse in 1990 with 64 murders per 100,000). It is around 17 murders per 100,000 today. However, Toronto's murder rate pales in comparison to Atlanta.
LE racial profiles laws can lead a nation on a slippery slope, a combo of social shaming & shifting the cost of incarceration on the perps or their parents would be a more effective strategy, IMHO.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
LE racial profiles laws can lead a nation on a slippery slope, a combo of social shaming & shifting the cost of incarceration on the perps or their parents would be a more effective strategy, IMHO.
The way I see it. If racial profiling really worked, then crime rates(at least in alot of American cities) would be much lower than it is now. For every criminal you catch using racial profiling, there are still many more criminals who haven't been caught.

About incarceration, I would say change the way incarceration works. For many criminals, incarceration is actually better than their lives on the outside. This is how prison was meant to work. You were punished for committing crimes against society and made to live outside of society, your freedom taken away from you for a few years, not only as punishment, but to repay your debt to society.

However, gangs act as a society unto themselves. People who feel that they are on the periphery of society, those persons feel that there is no incentive to live a crime free life. In many gangs, going to prison gives you status in the gang. In many prisons, gangs control the prisons. Prison becomes like another society into itself. The original intent of prison is thwarted because alot of people already operate outside of what the public would call society.

And the parents need to get involved. If the parents aren't involved, then problems will continue.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
The way I see it. If racial profiling really worked, then crime rates(at least in alot of American cities) would be much lower than it is now. For every criminal you catch using racial profiling, there are still many more criminals who haven't been caught.

About incarceration, I would say change the way incarceration works. For many criminals, incarceration is actually better than their lives on the outside. This is how prison was meant to work. You were punished for committing crimes against society and made to live outside of society, your freedom taken away from you for a few years, not only as punishment, but to repay your debt to society.

However, gangs act as a society unto themselves. People who feel that they are on the periphery of society, those persons feel that there is no incentive to live a crime free life. In many gangs, going to prison gives you status in the gang. In many prisons, gangs control the prisons. Prison becomes like another society into itself. The original intent of prison is thwarted because alot of people already operate outside of what the public would call society.

And the parents need to get involved. If the parents aren't involved, then problems will continue.

Yes, especially the black fathers. According to Toronto Life 1 in 4 Toronto families is headed by a single parent. But in the black community, nearly 50 % of the children live with a lone parent, and 80 % of those are female.

The same issue was raised by President Obama in the U.S. and by Bill Cosby --- all the black fathers that disappear and are not involved in their kid's lives.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
[/b]

Yes, especially the black fathers. According to Toronto Life 1 in 4 Toronto families is headed by a single parent. But in the black community, nearly 50 % of the children live with a lone parent, and 80 % of those are female.

The same issue was raised by President Obama in the U.S. and by Bill Cosby --- all the black fathers that disappear and are not involved in their kid's lives.
Is there still a situation in Canada of women from the Caribbean coming alone for work? I believe that was the case for many women from Caribbean decades ago and some would bring their children with them, if I'm not mistaken.

There are some socio-historical differences between the Black communities of both countries. So, the dynamics are a bit different. I do wonder if there is a similar pattern for Black folks in the Martinez provinces and SW Ontario, where the roots and culture is more like Black American roots/culture.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
[/b]

And in the USA, it is even worse. 72% of Black kids are raised by a single parent. In the state of Wisconsin, this is around 8 out of every 10.

There are people bringing this issue to terms. If we can solve this issue, we can solve the crime issues. The parents, and especially the fathers need to step up.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there still a situation in Canada of women from the Caribbean coming alone for work? I believe that was the case for many women from Caribbean decades ago and some would bring their children with them, if I'm not mistaken.

There are some socio-historical differences between the Black communities of both countries. So, the dynamics are a bit different. I do wonder if there is a similar pattern for Black folks in the Martinez provinces and SW Ontario, where the roots and culture is more like Black American roots/culture.

I don't know if that is still the situation about women from the Caribbean finding entry to Canada easier than the men, although the article does mention that.

In the article it mentions that often the expectations for these fathers is that they will not stick around. It also mentions problems with unemployment, incarceration, and not being able to provide for a family. The majority of the "gangbangers" interviewed for the article were not married to the women who had their children who often had different moms. Also the men in the article were very young fathers: age 15 to 24. So these young single men may lack parenting skills, even basic ones, and may lack the inclination and patience to spend time with young demanding children.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/inf...-daddies-club/

Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,611 times
Canada does not have the violence-levels of Chicago or Detroit, or any other large American city with a big "ghetto" population....yet.
But as the population of Canadian metro areas shifts inexorably in that direction they soon will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto