Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by screttiu View Post
She's got no experience. She had her lawyer bar examination in Italy and we're waiting for the outcome. But that being said obviously her possibilities will be far less in Duabi rather than Toronto or Houston,

Houston is raising my personal rank....am only a bit worried bout this visa stuff no the fact I'm not allowed to change employer.

I don't really know...and time is running fast
You should look into the requirements to sit for the Texas bar. http://www.ble.state.tx.us/pdfs/Form...XIII_Final.pdf

Your wifes career is important and you do not want to be blindsided once you both arrive. My wife is also a lawyer and we are looking into a move in the future and know that she needs to put in 2 more years to sit for the bar exam in the location we are targeting. I cant imagine moving her there and throwing away all that hard work.

The visa issues are a concern of course, but immigration issues arise regardless of if you are moving to the US or Canada. Canadian immigration policies are more sane from my experience, but if you are able to transition to an L1 Visa, then the road towards a GC is more clear. You are tied to your employer, but that may or may not be of a concern to you. I understand why it would be though.

Do you by any chance fall into the executive category or specialized skill category at your employer? If so, then the path towards a GC is even more clear. I would sit down with an immigration attorney regardless for at the very least a consolation. Both for Canada and the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM

113 posts, read 112,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
You should look into the requirements to sit for the Texas bar. http://www.ble.state.tx.us/pdfs/Form...XIII_Final.pdf

Your wifes career is important and you do not want to be blindsided once you both arrive. My wife is also a lawyer and we are looking into a move in the future and know that she needs to put in 2 more years to sit for the bar exam in the location we are targeting. I cant imagine moving her there and throwing away all that hard work.

The visa issues are a concern of course, but immigration issues arise regardless of if you are moving to the US or Canada. Canadian immigration policies are more sane from my experience, but if you are able to transition to an L1 Visa, then the road towards a GC is more clear. You are tied to your employer, but that may or may not be of a concern to you. I understand why it would be though.

Do you by any chance fall into the executive category or specialized skill category at your employer? If so, then the path towards a GC is even more clear. I would sit down with an immigration attorney regardless for at the very least a consolation. Both for Canada and the US.

thank you I appreciate very much your answer.

My wife's waiting for the outcome of the written test, if she has passed it then she will take the oral exam.
That being said, I have read the document mentioned above.
Sher would fall into the following category: Pursuant to Rule XIII(4) despite she doesnt have any LLM.
She's now taking english classes to improve her language skills as she's very basic. Another opportunity might be an MBA? I don't know. For sure i dont want to be blindisided as you correctly pointed out.
I would probably have to change my Visa into an L1 Visa.
I'm not an executive but I might fall into the specialized skill category. I'm a Manager, not a Director. My position is Sales Manager in the Oil&Gas business.

Last edited by screttiu; 03-04-2015 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 04:18 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Its depressing. Honestly I'm actually thinking about other options after this winter. Its been that bad. But after many winters in Toronto, I will say its not exactly pleasant in the least and I find it less sunny and a bit colder than Boston. They both suck though.
If winter is that much of an issue for people than neither is a good option period... We can split hairs over a few degrees or a few more or less cm's of snow in either place but who we fooling here - both are cold/grey/snowy in winter... Winter in Toronto (same if I were to live in Boston) isn't enough to make me pack up and leave ship - but I do strategically take two weeks vacation in February and go somewhere much nicer.. Its best done in Feb as it just seems like the month where winter 'gets at you' the most..When I get back from vacation - there isn't much of it left and sping starts to bloom.. Its a nice feeling.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
haha, you are from there and must known better Mother nature definitely hasn't been kind to Boston for the past two winters, which almost make Toronto winter more bearable.
What is this - a rare moment of humility - wow.. lol.. make a note in the log/date/time. Bostonkid's posts are insightful because he has recent and a fair bit of time in both Boston and T.O to make informed posts. It also helps that he doesn't have an axe to grind and is objective.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screttiu View Post
thank you I appreciate very much your answer.

My wife's waiting for the outcome of the written test, if she has passed it then she will take the oral exam.
That being said, I have read the document mentioned above.
Sher would fall into the following category: Pursuant to Rule XIII(4) despite she doesnt have any LLM.
She's now taking english classes to improve her language skills as she's very basic. Another opportunity might be an MBA? I don't know. For sure i dont want to be blindisided as you correctly pointed out.
I would probably have to change my Visa into an L1 Visa.
I'm not an executive but I might fall into the specialized skill category. I'm a Manager, not a Director. My position is Sales Manager in the Oil&Gas business.
Thanks for that additional information. If your wife was open to additional schooling in the US or Canada, that would possibly make the transition easier. Another option would be for her to target a law firm that conducts business in Italy with Houston or Toronto offices. I have a close friend in Boston for example who is from Istanbul and after graduating from Harvard Law she was able to find a firm that conducts a considerable amount of business in Turkey and now works for that firm. Your wife getting up to speed with her English is important, but also dont discount the advantages of her foreign language skills and experience. Also all the best on the results for her bar exam, I know that waiting period seems endless!

It is quite possible that you would fall into the specialized skill category, but I dont understand your line of business enough to say one way or another. Also keep in mind the position you are hired for, is not the position you will necessarily be in once you want to apply for a GC. New roles and promotions down the line are always a possibility.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If winter is that much of an issue for people than neither is a good option period... We can split hairs over a few degrees or a few more or less cm's of snow in either place but who we fooling here - both are cold/grey/snowy in winter... Winter in Toronto (same if I were to live in Boston) isn't enough to make me pack up and leave ship - but I do strategically take two weeks vacation in February and go somewhere much nicer.. Its best done in Feb as it just seems like the month where winter 'gets at you' the most..When I get back from vacation - there isn't much of it left and sping starts to bloom.. Its a nice feeling.
Typically that vacation in the winter is enough to keep me going. I did it again this year and spent time in Trinidad and Panama and for some reason it just was not enough this time around. I dont think you quite understand how bad this winter has been in Boston, lol.

I'm in my mid-late 30's now and its time to decide where I want to settle down and I am questioning if this is the type of experience I want to live through a few months every year. The needle is pushing strongly towards No. Hopefully a great Spring through Fall changes my outlook.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Typically that vacation in the winter is enough to keep me going. I did it again this year and spent time in Trinidad and Panama and for some reason it just was not enough this time around. I dont think you quite understand how bad this winter has been in Boston, lol.

I'm in my mid-late 30's now and its time to decide where I want to settle down and I am questioning if this is the type of experience I want to live through a few months every year. The needle is pushing strongly towards No. Hopefully a great Spring through Fall changes my outlook.
I didn't think you were so swayed by that which is temporary ... I hear you though.. I'm just coming off two weeks of Morocco and Portugal and not looking forward to coming back to a deep freeze... I hear its still pretty brutal.. What gives, I thought global warming was approaching full steam ahead.. Maybe they got it all wrong and an Ice Age approaches...

Old 03-05-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I didn't think you were so swayed by that which is temporary ... I hear you though.. I'm just coming off two weeks of Morocco and Portugal and not looking forward to coming back to a deep freeze... I hear its still pretty brutal.. What gives, I thought global warming was approaching full steam ahead.. Maybe they got it all wrong and an Ice Age approaches...
Dude, extend your vacation if you can....dont question me, just do it and thank me later. Hope you had a great trip as well. You should post in the Europe and Africa forums, I'd love to hear your impressions. I especially have a soft spot for Lisbon, I think its incredibly underrated.

I dont understand the science behind global warming in the least, but all my brilliant scientist type friends seem to understand why this is happening. But to a simpleton like me, it sure as hell doesnt make much sense at all.

Anyways, as you and Bostonkid mentioned Spring through Fall is fantastic in both Toronto and Boston, thats when you really love where you live. The question is cant I move to a place just as if not more world class and also not have to deal with the winters? i can think of a few places and they seem very attractive about now.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Dude, extend your vacation if you can....dont question me, just do it and thank me later. Hope you had a great trip as well. You should post in the Europe and Africa forums, I'd love to hear your impressions. I especially have a soft spot for Lisbon, I think its incredibly underrated.

I dont understand the science behind global warming in the least, but all my brilliant scientist type friends seem to understand why this is happening. But to a simpleton like me, it sure as hell doesnt make much sense at all.

Anyways, as you and Bostonkid mentioned Spring through Fall is fantastic in both Toronto and Boston, thats when you really love where you live. The question is cant I move to a place just as if not more world class and also not have to deal with the winters? i can think of a few places and they seem very attractive about now.
Oh I wish I could extend but I do have to go back to work monday ..

As for my impressions of Marrakech and Lisboa I will post... Lisbon in particular is an amazing city.. I agree fully... The trolley's, hills, Fado, food, Manueline and pastel coloured pombaline architure and districts -incredible.. I also love 2.50 Euro's for a nice bottle of wine at the Supermercat across the street - I mean what's not to love about that.. So far it is my favourite walking city in Europe every corner has a surprise and one minute you are in an alley the next you turn onto a street with a beautiful hilltop vista of the Tagus river.. I do prefer it over Madrid and Barcelona and the people more friendly and engaging.. Great day trips too be it to Sintra, Cascais or Estoril... I have most enjoyed Portugal and now it is winding down though I do have some time coming up in Ponta Delgada so looking forward to that..

I think you need to find a regional office in Mexico city....

Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Oh I wish I could extend but I do have to go back to work monday ..

As for my impressions of Marrakech and Lisboa I will post... Lisbon in particular is an amazing city.. I agree fully... The trolley's, hills, Fado, food, Manueline and pastel coloured pombaline architure and districts -incredible.. I also love 2.50 Euro's for a nice bottle of wine at the Supermercat across the street - I mean what's not to love about that.. So far it is my favourite walking city in Europe every corner has a surprise and one minute you are in an alley the next you turn onto a street with a beautiful hilltop vista of the Tagus river.. I do prefer it over Madrid and Barcelona and the people more friendly and engaging.. Great day trips too be it to Sintra, Cascais or Estoril... I have most enjoyed Portugal and now it is winding down though I do have some time coming up in Ponta Delgada so looking forward to that..

I think you need to find a regional office in Mexico city....
I agree with everything you said, great country, great food and drink and wonderful people. Enjoy the Azores on your next stop.

DF sounds great, if there was work there I would think about it. I am more thinking HKG or TLV as they are the next frontier in HC expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto