Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 38,028 times

Advertisements

I agree, having moved here myself from a smaller city 30 years ago, that I'd say we fare pretty good overall but the neighborhoods mostly have that one weak spot because that's how the neighborhoods were developed: such as a low-cost housing development that is allowed to run down may be situated near a lovely single-home neighborhood, or fancy condo's. Those places like the beaches can have a high traffic of visitors in the summer which I have seen brings out some weirdo's, and I personally encountered a murder in the Avenue Road area just like our murders can be anywhere in the city. Rich people too have been victims of crime. But having said that, I have taken precautions and have not had problems. There has been more gun violence as of late, but hopefully that will not be the case at large. Its still a pretty safe city to be in. I have also taken workshops with the local police regarding protecting your business and mostly it is about precautions to take about vandalism and the landscaping so that your business does not have large amounts of bushes which handicap passerbys from seeing a robbery/attack taking place, and that sort of thing. My daughters schools have programs because yes, undesirable activity is taking place at night on the playgrounds and used needles have been found, etc. I don't think you can pinpoint any one particular area as being the safest because problems arise in many ways. Women, children, the elderly have to be cautious....cars get taken from driveways, its life. But you don't feel daily threatened, so that is the good thing. Its not something you consiously feel is over-riding your enjoyment of living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 17,012 times
To get a quick summary of the areas of the murders so far this year the site:

[url=http://www.torontotheviolent.blogspot.com]Toronto the Violent[/url]

does a decent job of reporting most of the violent crime in Toronto. I used to live in Toronto but moved a few years back, my advice is to look at the homicide/violent crime maps either on Toronto the Violent or the toronto police website. Good luck!

Last edited by Simmons98; 08-10-2008 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 16,620 times
ummm dont listen to them.. its for sure Jane and Sheppard

Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
I grew up in the Jane and Finch area, which is not considered safe by Toronto standards and I felt perfectly fine even at night. I moved away when i was 19 and the only incident I had was getting robbed by two guys when i was a kid collecting for my paper route but this can happen anywhere. The thing is, if you look for trouble anywhere you will find it. There is no place in Toronto that is exceptionally dangerous but if you are looking for trouble you'll find it irrespective of the hood. For me, the safety of the location wouldn't be the biggest part in my decision to move to an area, but finding a place that is clean if one is apartment hunting would be a bigger consideration to me! The dirtier places are typically the sketchy places where there is more public housing and hence poorer residents that are more likely up to no good relative to more affluent places..

Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 AM

43 posts, read 175,974 times
Regent park which is considered the worst area to live in is being redeveloped so the bad area count has hopefully gone down by one.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 PM

87 posts, read 392,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Mississauga
i went to one year of highschool in mississauga and 3 in toronto
i saw more drugs in that one year in mississauga than i had ever seen in my lifetime of living in toronto.

Toronto is overall pretty safe. no matter where you live you will not get robbed or anything of that nature. even in the worst neighborhoods...(Jane/finch, Keele/Eglinton) if you want to be close to the beach, for a good price... try the birchcliff area. right along the beach in scarborough or the danforth/riverdale/upper beaches area.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ee View Post
i went to one year of highschool in mississauga and 3 in toronto
i saw more drugs in that one year in mississauga than i had ever seen in my lifetime of living in toronto.

Toronto is overall pretty safe. no matter where you live you will not get robbed or anything of that nature. even in the worst neighborhoods...(Jane/finch, Keele/Eglinton) if you want to be close to the beach, for a good price... try the birchcliff area. right along the beach in scarborough or the danforth/riverdale/upper beaches area.
Depends where in mississauga you're talking about, northern mississauga (meadowvale/streetsville/malton/dixie) is usually more crime ridden, but as you get closer to the lake it's different.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torano89 View Post
Regent park which is considered the worst area to live in is being redeveloped so the bad area count has hopefully gone down by one.
Those people are having to be displaced somewhere don't they? It will just shift to a new neighbourhood.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM

163 posts, read 628,614 times
i can't think of any neighborhood in toronto that isn't 'safe.'

crimes will happen in all neighborhoods. i don't think we are at the level the US is at (i.e. drastically diminished populations, reduced tax base, 'ghost towns').

Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afici0nad0 View Post
i don't think we are at the level the US is at (i.e. drastically diminished populations, reduced tax base, 'ghost towns').
If you actually take a look at Windsor, it's starting to follow the same trend as it's across the river counterpart is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto