Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:22 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times

Advertisements

I think I'll just use my bicycle or feet to help offset more expensive gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
It's amazing the hatred that is displayed in here for the Prius. So what if you don't like the way that it looks or that it is slow compared to the V8's that you drive. People like it and if thats the way they wish to spend their money, so be it.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What a jumble of politcal and nationalic views in a simple thread about a car. My guess is the perosn is a union member with the usual rant.
Celebrating Earth Day by showing off a Hybrid? I guess when all these batteries are done with we just ship them off to 3rd world countries. At least it's sounds like it's going to another planet. The Prius is no more greener than a car with a small 4 banger engine. Except the Prius is more of a pollutant.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
. Except the Prius is more of a pollutant.
Prove it!!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:49 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
none of the answers provided to you actually thought of the process of obtaining the nickel used in the batteries of the hybrid cars. This is where the environmental hazard comes into play -- nickel is mined -- mining includes the use of fossil fuels - which in turn harms the environment. Sure, all the other facts of the hybrid are positive, but to really ascess if the car is overall good for the environment, all aspects need to be taken into consideration. I suggest intstead of looking online for all your answers, look for resources such as academic papers and books at the library. They may better inform you than the public that may or may not really have any knowledge on hybrid components.

nickel mine don't seem very green

NiCa recycling plant

Old 04-24-2011, 04:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
also a bio diesel VW rabbit older mercedes or dodge ram 2500 with a cummins is more eco friendly than a prius

Old 04-24-2011, 04:36 PM

You do realise that all the hybrid batteries in use only uses about 1% of the nickel that is produced in the world and that all hybrid batteries are recycled. Toyota offers $200 for each pack turned in for recycling. So the argumments about the Prius and other hybrids being bad for the enviroment are bogus.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
I'd rather have a Jetta TDI. Nothing to recycle (other than normal items) and gets awesome mileage.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM

81 posts, read 238,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
It's amazing the hatred that is displayed in here for the Prius. So what if you don't like the way that it looks or that it is slow compared to the V8's that you drive. People like it and if thats the way they wish to spend their money, so be it.
I completely agree. The reason why I believe people in this board dislike the Prius is that they are afraid of change. Most people in certain parts of this country refuse to open there minds. So they complain, make excuses, and try to make anything up so they can hold on to whatever obsolete myth they cherish. They are afraid to change the way live. This just does not go with automobiles, but in some aspects of life as well.

Race relations is still a huge problem because of stereotypes. Most people who hold onto these beliefs they are not willing to open there minds and mingle with different ethnic backgrounds. This is why our current president place still has a problem with some people. Most people in this country do not like change, but being able to change and adapt is apart of survival.

They know the Prius is a great vehicles, and rated well in every safety category, gets great MPG, and runs smooth on the road and almost every single owner has given the car positive feedback. How many vehicles can give an average 47 + mpg while driving over 70 MPH?? They are just in denial because they are afraid that the Prius and similar vehicles like it, might replace those gas guzzlers most of these Americans like so much for some odd reason.

The Prius is a bad car because it does not look good on the outside??? If you take that mentality that is like discriminating against people who do not look good. As a matter of fact I think the Prius looks just fine, but hey I do consider myself an open minded individual and many others as well share my opinion.

Last edited by prinessdanika99; 04-24-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 06:26 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Relating a Prius to race relations...REALLY?

Clean diesel is more of an answer than Hybrids. They have power that people crave and great fuel economy. Hybrids are as much of an answer as CFL bulbs are an answer to incandescents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion