Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times

Advertisements

I've bought several vehicles with that kind of mileage and had no problems, but I usually spend around $500 or less. The ones I buy tend to be a little rough around the edges, though, so if the car was exceptional I guess $2K wouldn't be so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I wouldn't pay $2,000 for it. More like $500-1,000 depending on the body, tires, and upholstery. If it's not smoking or making engine noises and keep the oil changes up you may get another 30-50,000 miles on it but I'd stick close to home with it.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
Seems like an OK deal. Around Dallas a late '90s Avalon goes for $2500-$3000.

1997 Toyota Avalon xl (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2797951373.html - broken link)
1998 Toyota Avalon (http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/2798054212.html - broken link)
1995 TOYOTA AVALON (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/2777084173.html - broken link)

Don't know why people offer $300 for it on this forum. It's worth much more if the engine/transmission are in good condition.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Often people focus on the engine and transmission as the deciding factor on whether to buy a high mileage used car or not. But don't overlook that there are many parts on a car that wear, and they all will fail eventually. I have a buddy who runs his cars into the 200's often, and he raves about how perfectly they operate. They're nearly deathtraps by that point, because the suspensions and brakes are completely worn out. Then we get into "well, 2 of the 4 windows won't roll up, the high beams don't work, only the right turn signal works, the passenger front seat is stuck in the forward position, the AC quit 5 years ago and the heat is always on full blast, etc., etc."

He's also the guy with the 300K Volvo "that runs great" but he has actually replaced the entire exhaust and fuel systems, all the pumps, a dozen sensors, and so on. Not a month goes by where he isn't dumping money into the car, and it still drives like garbage.

There's a lot more to a car than just being able to move.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Often people focus on the engine and transmission as the deciding factor on whether to buy a high mileage used car or not. But don't overlook that there are many parts on a car that wear, and they all will fail eventually. I have a buddy who runs his cars into the 200's often, and he raves about how perfectly they operate. They're nearly deathtraps by that point, because the suspensions and brakes are completely worn out. Then we get into "well, 2 of the 4 windows won't roll up, the high beams don't work, only the right turn signal works, the passenger front seat is stuck in the forward position, the AC quit 5 years ago and the heat is always on full blast, etc., etc."

He's also the guy with the 300K Volvo "that runs great" but he has actually replaced the entire exhaust and fuel systems, all the pumps, a dozen sensors, and so on. Not a month goes by where he isn't dumping money into the car, and it still drives like garbage.

There's a lot more to a car than just being able to move.
But I think being able to move reliably is the most important thing once you are looking at a 12 year old car. If you have a budget below $4000, then an Avalon is as good, or better, than most other cars. Besides, the OP said he would check out the mechanical parts / cosmetic issues before buying. You can still probably find a well-kept 1998 Avalon that has many years of service left.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
But I think being able to move reliably is the most important thing once you are looking at a 12 year old car. If you have a budget below $4000, then an Avalon is as good, or better, than most other cars. Besides, the OP said he would check out the mechanical parts / cosmetic issues before buying. You can still probably find a well-kept 1998 Avalon that has many years of service left.
If getting from A to B is the only consideration, $4K would buy a much newer and lower mileage Corolla, for instance.

You can't check out all the subsystems of the car that will fail, as I alluded to about my buddy's cars. They may work during the pre-purchase inspection, but they are time bombs on a car with that many miles.

I tried to edit my earlier post with this: Yes, replacing parts on an older car is a cost to be factored into the purchase decision. But the time involved with that, and the possibility of being stranded, can be a bigger issue. In the last two months my buddy's Volvo has cost him several hours of missed work and drive time because it broke down while his wife was driving it.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,062 times
I bought a '99 Avalon with 152k two years ago. It now has 210k on it, and runs like a Swiss watch....utterly reliable. No expenses other than consumables, and everything on it works.

Paid 2.5k for it. Best used car I've ever owned, would buy another in a moment.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
I bought a '99 Avalon with 152k two years ago. It now has 210k on it, and runs like a Swiss watch....utterly reliable. No expenses other than consumables, and everything on it works.

Paid 2.5k for it. Best used car I've ever owned, would buy another in a moment.
Oh my! The secret is out as to how good a car the Avalon really is!

No.2 son bought a 2003 Avalon that was well cared for that will probably be such a keeper that he'll tire of it after about 25 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion