Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I think it's either laziness or repetitive behavior. Even if you are satisfied there is always something different to try and it might be better. Really, I don't get it -- I prefer experiencing new things, resp. makes. I tent to like Japanese and Korean makes but I would never stick to only one. Those sticking to the same old thing must lead pretty boring lives. Life is fun when you experience new things. From time to time it's good to reinvent yourself, even if that means just trying different brands.
Well, most buyers don't see any reasons to fix something that's not broken and other buyers are like you. Just think of it this way: some people are always replacing their digital cameras with the newest and supposedly better camera, while the majority of photographers get the most out of the cameras they have. It's the same with automobiles. If you are comfortable with the car you already have, why switching to a new one?

Trading automobiles from year to year is a big waste of money, and often the supposedly better one ends-up being uncomfortable. The ones who keep their vehicles for the long run-assuming that they are happy with these vehicles-also have the benefit of not having a monthly car payment after four or five years, and use this money for more important things. If you read the book series about self-made millionaires, see how long they keep their vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,238,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Yeah, this is the new "small overlap" crash test that they started in 2012 - it is a very, very severe test and most every automaker out there that has been tested has had at least one car from the 2012-13 model year earn a not so good rating. This isn't a "side crash test" like you said, that is what confused me. The Camry actually got a 5-star rating in the side test and it is true that the 12-14 did poor in this new small overlap, but the 14.5 model did very well, as it was restructured to do well.

The Honda CRV did terrible, the Accord did good. The Versa did terrible, the Altima did good. The 2013 Malibu did marginal, the 2014 Malibu did excellent (thanks to a modified structure). Even the new small Mercedes and small BMW didn't do so hot in this test, so I do not think it will sink Toyota. Cars before 2012 wasn't even tested like this. Also all of the 2012+ Toyotas did well in the moderate overlap.

I think the Prius still gets a poor rating, but I am sure it will change. I would say that all if not most 2015 Toyotas will rate well in this test, as will most other 2015+ cars made since the car companies know they are being tested.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,482,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I think the Prius still gets a poor rating, but I am sure it will change. I would say that all if not most 2015 Toyotas will rate well in this test, as will most other 2015+ cars made since the car companies know they are being tested.
The 2014 Prius (not the Prius C or Prius V) got an Acceptable rating in the Small Overlap front test, and a Good rating in all the other tests. It is shown as a Top Safety Pick. So, the statements in this thread that the Prius got poor ratings is inaccurate. The Prius C, which has not done so well in the crash tests, is NOT the same car as the regular Prius.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
How many of us have been in a serious car accident? I have in POS VW bug when I was a teen, in 40 plus years, once.

Some of these crash tests are a joke IMO. I am for safety, but sometimes it really seems overkill since some of these test are so abstract it would almost never happen, like that recent one the gov instituted.

Now before you say it, no I don't want some POS made in India with no safety.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
How many of us have been in a serious car accident? I have in POS VW bug when I was a teen, in 40 plus years, once.

Some of these crash tests are a joke IMO. I am for safety, but sometimes it really seems overkill since some of these test are so abstract it would almost never happen, like that recent one the gov instituted.

Now before you say it, no I don't want some POS made in India with no safety.
I am proud of our safety standards, more and more folks are surviving crashes that then years ago would have been fatal. So in that regard I don't consider them jokes.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:00 AM

399 posts, read 355,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, most buyers don't see any reasons to fix something that's not broken and other buyers are like you. Just think of it this way: some people are always replacing their digital cameras with the newest and supposedly better camera, while the majority of photographers get the most out of the cameras they have. It's the same with automobiles. If you are comfortable with the car you already have, why switching to a new one?

Trading automobiles from year to year is a big waste of money, and often the supposedly better one ends-up being uncomfortable. The ones who keep their vehicles for the long run-assuming that they are happy with these vehicles-also have the benefit of not having a monthly car payment after four or five years, and use this money for more important things. If you read the book series about self-made millionaires, see how long they keep their vehicles
I can understand sticking to any single particular car (I'm not into replacing models every couple of years). However, I cannot understand sticking to a particular make for like three or more consequential cars (like my father). I guess I'm not into make fanboyism. And most often than not it's the people replacing their cars every few years that stick to the same makes. I've noticed that the ones having a 5 to 10 y/o car are more inclined to take chances with a different make for some reason, even if they are satisfied.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:47 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
This is interesting. Do you know if they were doing that in 2002? I have a 2002 ES300 which now has almost 170K miles on it. I will say that in the past year or so it's been having issues, usually things that entail big $$ repairs (rear main oil seal, leaking cam seals, etc etc). But up till now it's been a prince and one of the cars I'm considering as its replacement within the next couple of years -- because an average of 16mpg and needing minimum 93 octane fuel is just not practical for me now that I'm on a fixed income -- is one of the Prius models.
See the Toyota Windom.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,238,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The 2014 Prius (not the Prius C or Prius V) got an Acceptable rating in the Small Overlap front test, and a Good rating in all the other tests. It is shown as a Top Safety Pick. So, the statements in this thread that the Prius got poor ratings is inaccurate. The Prius C, which has not done so well in the crash tests, is NOT the same car as the regular Prius.
lol, well that wasn't me that made that original statement, the OP did. I wasn't sure which Prius we were referring to, but even on the one that got an overall "acceptable" rating received a poor rating for the structure cage... in fact, all of the Prius models did. Toyota is capable of making a good one... the 2014.5 Camry and '14 Highlander both received an acceptable rating as well, but they also had an acceptable rating of the structure. In fact, from the looks of the pics looks like they should have received a good rating.

The moral of the story directed to the OP is that most car makers have had at least one model that has performed poorly in this test. Ford, GM, Mopar, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, even BMW and Mercedes have had cars perform not so well in this test... then we also have some that are now doing very well. I would say by 2015, all if not most will be at least acceptable performers.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:28 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
lol, well that wasn't me that made that original statement, the OP did. I wasn't sure which Prius we were referring to, but even on the one that got an overall "acceptable" rating received a poor rating for the structure cage... in fact, all of the Prius models did. Toyota is capable of making a good one... the 2014.5 Camry and '14 Highlander both received an acceptable rating as well, but they also had an acceptable rating of the structure. In fact, from the looks of the pics looks like they should have received a good rating.

The moral of the story directed to the OP is that most car makers have had at least one model that has performed poorly in this test. Ford, GM, Mopar, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, even BMW and Mercedes have had cars perform not so well in this test... then we also have some that are now doing very well. I would say by 2015, all if not most will be at least acceptable performers.
I agree with that, and I would say that Toyota got too big for it's own britches, and once they calm down, re-look at what's important to them (customer safety I'm sure is at the top) they will not have too many people abandon them. Although, I would like to point out that both Honda and Toyota have lost market share recently as smaller companies like Huyndai/Kia, Volkswagon, and Mazda continue to produce better product at less price. The overall value that these other makers are bringing to the table will continue to keep Toyota/Honda competitive and innovative and I look forward to what the future may bring.

Honda folks are usually Honda folks, Toyota folks are generally the same with loyalty. I am mainly just curious as to whether or not bad press affects such loyalty?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Camry fell into Chevy and Ford's trap, they started cutting corners to keep up with demand and their quality suffered along the way. They have always had a good reputation throughout the 1980's 90's 00's as being a reliable vehicle, but now that the curtain's been pulled back exposing some serious safety issues over the past few years: Brake Pedal Recall, Poor Side Crash Test Rating 2013 on Prius and Camry, only acceptable ratings after they had a year and half to fix it, Camry being named worst car of 2013 by several major automotive sources.

Do you think that this is going to hurt Toyota. Is it beyond repair? Do you think they will need to scratch and start over?

Do you think the move out of California into Texas is the start of something new? A downsizing perhaps?
Short term, they will play off their reputation, and the fanboys and girls will continue to buy them. But people will learn. Toyota today is the Oldsmobile of 1980 if they don't get it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion