Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:02 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,884,427 times

Advertisements

86 miles is nothing, but the dealer should have told you they located it at an out of town dealer and were going to do a trade for it, and that it might have more miles.

Our last 2 new vehicles were from out of town. One they did a trade and we got it the next day with ~180 miles on it. The option was for us to pay $400 for it to be trucked to us via wrecker. Instead they paid their driver about $100 to swap vehicles.

The other vehicle they could not trade for it right away since it was an "in demand" vehicle, and they were going to look at other dealers for one. So we just drove to the dealer that had the car we wanted and bought it from them. Yes, it was an all day trip, but we actually got a better price by a couple hundred dollars. That was the most painless negotiation of them all too. I called and he gave me their best price to get me to drive to San Antonio. It beat everyone's deal so we hit the road the next morning.

If you really want to get something, ask for a few free oil changes or something since your wife/ significant other/child, etc expected a new car with 10 miles or less. They might do that to make the sale right now.

Congrats on the new car and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM

63 posts, read 109,322 times
All other things aside, 16.7K on a 2015 Corolla Eco is a pretty darn good deal if the price is out the door (which it is as you said). I bought my 2014 LE (not Eco) for the exact same price earlier this year as they would not come down on the Eco pricing.

Enjoy the car.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,755,325 times
The only brand new cars I have ever purchased came with 30 and 9 miles. So 86 is nothing to worry about.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:32 PM

522 posts, read 723,625 times
86 miles is a new car, by definition.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,359,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
Hi,
We put down a deposit for a 2015 Corolla LE Eco with a toyota dealer in framingham ma. The car wasn't available the day we negotiated the price and put down a deposit. They called us mon eve to say that the car was @ the dealer. We went yesterday and long story short found that the car had 86miles on it. Dealer says they got the car from another dealer in NH and so that's the reason it shows 86mi. If we want a car with very few miles then we need to wait 4 weeks to get it.

We checked with other dealers on the out-the-door price offered by this dealer ($16.7k). No one is even coming close. I would like to hear opinions on how do we deal with this situation. If you've been or if you were in a similar situation, how did/would you make the best of it (ie., some additional concessions from the dealer). Do you see any red flags that we should ponder/question them before we take delivery.
What "situation?" Are we to understand you're upset your new car has 86 miles on it?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,129,095 times
omg omg omg omg -- 86 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's like ... a NEW CAR!!!!!!!!!

================

Sorry for the sarcasm, OP, but I am flabbergasted that you somehow think this is a "situation" for which you should be compensated with "additional concessions" from the dealer. 86 miles? Seriously?

It's a new car!!

Just enjoy it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What "situation?" Are we to understand you're upset your new car has 86 miles on it?
Yep.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,800,437 times
Nearly everyone will test drive a car or two, before they buy. They are often testing three or four before they select the one they take delivery on. These cars that have been tested, will have a few miles on them, and be considered new cars. If you test drove one before you bought the one you did, those miles are going to be on a car someone else bought.

Cars are usually floored (on consignment is an easy way to understand it) by car companies on dealers lots. They are taken from one dealer to another as needed to fill orders. They cannot keep every type of car with every possible configuration on every lot. As a dealer gets an order for one, they are pulled from the dealers lot where it is being stored. Unless you want that exact model on a dealers lot, or want to wait a few weeks, the ability for dealers to draw cars being stored by the manufacturer on other dealers lots, is your only choice. They will have a few miles on them to move from one location to another to make the delivery. Dealers just tap into the computer inventory to know where there is a car to meet your exact needs.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:14 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,681,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
While I can understand a couple hundred miles between transport and test drives, 800+ miles is definitely stretching things a bit for me. Driving the car to transfer from a dealership within a hundred miles is fine but if the vehicle is traveling over a 800 miles I think its time to put it on a transport.
Exactly. My dad owned a transport business, so telling me they "drove" it 800 miles definitely set off my B.S. detector!

Old 10-01-2014, 03:37 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,819,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
Hi,
We put down a deposit for a 2015 Corolla LE Eco with a toyota dealer in framingham ma. The car wasn't available the day we negotiated the price and put down a deposit. They called us mon eve to say that the car was @ the dealer. We went yesterday and long story short found that the car had 86miles on it. Dealer says they got the car from another dealer in NH and so that's the reason it shows 86mi. If we want a car with very few miles then we need to wait 4 weeks to get it.

We checked with other dealers on the out-the-door price offered by this dealer ($16.7k). No one is even coming close. I would like to hear opinions on how do we deal with this situation. If you've been or if you were in a similar situation, how did/would you make the best of it (ie., some additional concessions from the dealer). Do you see any red flags that we should ponder/question them before we take delivery.
They are going to roll it out of the factory and on to a boat, truck or train and then the receiving dealer is supposed to PDI it which means a short drive. With that in mind a "new" car should still have at least 7-15 miles on it.

You can refuse the car and insist that the car you want be trucked in on a roll back, but surprise, this costs money and you will have to pay extra for that.

If you back out on this deal, expect this particular dealer to not want to deal with you on anything that isn't currently on their lot and not be particularly overjoyed while "negotiating" with you.

If you do take delivery of this car, the 86 miles will not be deducted from the warranty coverage, so you won't be losing anything.

Maybe they should have told you, but this is such a common practice and such a small amount of miles, they probably didn't think it would be a problem. They most likely have in stock units with this kind of miles or many more from test drives.

Most cars, even demos can be sold as "new" up to 5000, 7500 even 10,000 miles in some cases. Depends on the manufacturer and the state.

86miles on a Corolla is...a non issue.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:53 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,976,522 times
My brand new 2013 Civic had 64 miles on the odometer. When doing the financials, the CSR told me "There are 64 miles on the odometer; if that's okay, you need to sign here" and they gave me a copy of the mileage report.

Of course, I signed. But driving home, I wondered to myself does anyone ever say "that's not okay"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion