Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I rented a Grand Marquis for two weeks in 2010 for a road trip. I didn't want a Grand Marquis, I wanted a real premium car but I was left no other choice. The Grand Marquis was a nightmare, it was very spacious but the seats were extremely uncomfortable for long drives. What surprised me most was the engine, with V-8 5.6L engine, it was underpowered! I would rather rent a Chevy Impala.

I haven't driven a Toyota Avalon yet, but I am pretty sure nothing will be worse than a Grand Marquis. The best decision about Grand Marquis was to discountinue its production in 2011.

Why do senior citizens love these cars? Because they love bigger vehicles? I don't quite get it.

I do understand that an Avalon is like an upgraded Camry, but Lexus isn't much different in that regard.
In 2010 that's probably a 4.6 liter v-8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Mechanicals

The Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES are most similar under the skin, as they share a platform, transmissions and engines with almost no modification from one model to the other. Standard in both cars, for instance, is a 268-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine that's hooked up to a 6-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive.
That's why I went for a brand new ES350 last month. The Avalon was just too close price wise. With factory incentives and alike, the Lexus is a much better buy. As to the demographics, most of it is hearsay. Everything that you can say about the Avalon you can also say about the ES. Why would Avalon be any closer to the Crown Vic than say a Camry or an Accord? Actually, none of them are. Somebody asked why seniors preferred CV or GM. I would say the ease of entry and exit. Those wide bench seats didn't hurt either. The older you get the less contortion your body likes to go through.

ps

Had this thread not appeared in the main section first, I would have never seen it. Brand-specific subforums sound like a good idea but have very few readers.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 PM

274 posts, read 252,683 times
Quote:
Knee jerk reaction? I don't think so.
Fair enough. Forgot about the Celica.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
Fair enough. Forgot about the Celica.
Yeah, but the Supra version of the Celica was a Fast & the Furious boy racer car. No big deal today when very pedestrian cars ship with 300 hp. A mid-80's Celica Supra with a 160 hp inline 6 was intentionally sports car-like. They bolted a turbo on it in the late-80's to get it into the 200+ hp class.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
There is a neighbor up the street that has 2 Avalons. They look like fine cars and would be comfortable on the highway. I have a ES350 and have to confess that it was a step up from the Accords we had before. Is it pretty similar to the Avalon? Probably, but this year and model of the Lexus was a real selling point and so far , very trouble free, luxurious and comfortable. Could we have afforded C class or 300 series Euro cars? Yes, but didn't want the expensive maintenance after warranty .

Old 08-08-2016, 02:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Large sedans are a declining market. I love them, but most of the buyers have moved to SUV's because they get the bulk of the advertising dollars these days.
I've noticed this too. I used to make fun of everyone wanting SUVs just to drive around town. But SUVs let you carry more, are higher off the ground, and most newer ones have similar fuel economy as a sedan. At least people aren't buying as many of those dumb suburbans/yukons anymore.

That being said, I'm not paying $5000 more than a Corolla for a RAV-4 when the RAV-4 is nothing more than a glorified Corolla. Having a hatchback is pretty nice though.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:51 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,136,209 times
After I drove a V6 Camry with Leather, I really didnt see why anyone would buy an Avalon. The Camry had plenty of Front legroom and the rear seats were big enough for adults too.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:20 PM

805 posts, read 1,871,625 times
IMO older folks are buying more small SUVs and less sedans as SUVs are easy to get in and out off.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, but the Supra version of the Celica was a Fast & the Furious boy racer car. No big deal today when very pedestrian cars ship with 300 hp. A mid-80's Celica Supra with a 160 hp inline 6 was intentionally sports car-like. They bolted a turbo on it in the late-80's to get it into the 200+ hp class.
The Supra was made until 1998. However, the newest renditions don't depreciate in value as the total amount of sales were quite low because of astronomical price with respect to inflation.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Correct. You have just stated the reason why the Avalon is not more popular. When people want more from a car (more room, bigger engine, etc.), a premium nameplate is almost always on that list. The Lexus is a premium nameplate for just a little more money.
Well there are some people who can afford a premium name car but might think it's too showy. For a long time, Buicks and Oldsmobiles appealed to such people who though Cadillacs or Lincolns were too show-off.

Or if you're a businessperson who doesn't want to drive a fancy BMW because your clients might think you're making too much money off of them.

But it is a good question to ask: How much of a market segment still exists for such buyers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion