Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 12:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Personally, I'd get a Limited trim 6-cylinder Subaru Legacy where you get AWD for significantly less money. Four 6'2" guys fit in one just fine. Compared to an Avalon, you're giving up 1" of rear legroom and 1 cubic foot of trunk space. A Legacy has a taller roof line so it has a bit more head room. A 6-cylinder Legacy street price is less than a 6-cylinder Camry and you're getting the passenger volume and cabin noise level of an Avalon. Subaru suspensions are a bit stiffer than Toyota so they handle a bit better and aren't as floaty. If you want that highway barge feel, a Legacy might be a bit stiff. You don't seem to live in the snow belt where AWD is more useful but the value proposition is there even if you don't care about that feature.
The Legacy is something like less than a cubic foot away from being a 'large car' under US rules, and I can verify the cabin seems very spacious and fits 6'2" drivers quite well. The AWD is also very helpful in north Florida monsoon conditions- as long as you don't let the tires go, very nice and grippy on wet roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 PM

274 posts, read 252,946 times
Some people just really, REALLY don't like Toyota.

I had one in the 70s. Ugly but reliable. Still, I know people who the mere mention of Toyota gets them foaming at the mouth. Knee-jerk reaction, I guess.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:35 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,108,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
Some people just really, REALLY don't like Toyota.

I had one in the 70s. Ugly but reliable. Still, I know people who the mere mention of Toyota gets them foaming at the mouth. Knee-jerk reaction, I guess.

Knee jerk reaction? I don't think so.

Way back when, I inherited a Toyota Celica from my mother when she passed. It had no legroom and was the most uncomfortable car that I have ever driven, so uncomfortable that I could not drive it even a short distance without leg pain. (I am 5' 11") The seat was about two inches above the floor and my rear end was actually lower than my foot at the gas pedal. It is hard to believe any manufacturer could make such a poorly designed product. That problem was solved when I was driving down a highway and the engine blew with less than 59,000 miles on it. I sold it for scrap for $200, even though it was less than five years old and looked showroom new inside and out. My mother had bought it new and put only about 5,000 miles on the car. The man I sold it to was a Toyota expert who rebuilt Toyotas for a living. He said that in that particular year the engine had a design defect, which caused that problem, which was corrected in the next model year. The problem was poor oil circulation in the engine, which he said was probably compounded by my mother driving it so little.

And what is with all those tough Toyota trucks rusting like there is no tomorrow? A truck should have more rust protection than any car, not less!!!

No more Toyotas for me.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:57 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
It also in competition with large domestic vehicles of similar size, like the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, Chevy impala, and Ford taurus. Plus the Chrysler and Dodge cars are rear wheel drive and have the option of V6 or V8 engines. The Avalon styling doesn't move me at all, especially the current model and I would want a little more power than what it have to offer.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:59 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Price. Kind of like the difference between a Highlander and a Lexus. No difference in luxury, only in image. If I get a loaded Camry for less, why get an Avalon?

Old 08-07-2016, 03:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Large sedans are a declining market. I love them, but most of the buyers have moved to SUV's because they get the bulk of the advertising dollars these days.
This is the answer. Avalon does well within its market but that market is being replaced by SUVs. People who want a more expensive, more luxurious car would just jump from Accord/ Camry etc straight to the luxury market. You want more size than Accord/ Camry you go straight to SUVs.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:45 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
It is a shrinking market for a car of its size considering the Lexus brand retains popularity and a slightly higher price point than the Avalon itself. I think it will go the way of the Cressida.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:55 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Hmm, well my mom bought one recently. It wasn't $35k because of all the options. Pretty good discount off high MSRP but still pretty much $40k.

The Camy drives a lot better than the Avalon does. The Avalon is more comfortable but it's not like the Camry isn't comfortable as well. Backseat is larger but it's not like the backseat on the Camry isn't large. Mostly it's just more luxury. Most people probably opt for the Lexus as they just want the badge. Base ES is slightly cheaper than a Limited Avalon but very stripped in comparison. Vinyl seating, no heated seats and venitallted, no navi, no adaptive cruise, no JBL, no rains sensing wipers, no rear sunshade. Everything other than the adaptive cruise is standard on the Limited and I don't even know if you can get a limited without it. I mean, it's kind of hit and miss there though. The navi and adaptive cruise are both pretty much unusable, the JBL is okay but not great. Leather isn't Lexus leather but it's pretty good, much nicer than the vinyl in the base ES but you can abuse vinyl more. I'd probably go with vinyl for that reason.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:34 PM

427 posts, read 441,002 times
Hate to go against the tide here but here I go. I personally thought the 2000 Avalon was one of the most trouble free, comfortable and reliable cars that I ever purchased. It surpassed 150,000 miles +(passed on to eldest son for college). I have owned Mercedes since then (great cars, maintainance nightmare); now driving a Lexus LS (also trouble free but blah). I think a car purchase is individually based. Buy what makes you happy and you feel comfortable in. My two cents...

Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
The Avalon is known as the Japanese Buick.
It's a big, plush, super-reliable, comfortable highway cruiser that tends to wallow when the road gets curvy.
If that fits your needs, then it's an excellent choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion