Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,339 times

Advertisements

I had a CapOne blank check. I went to a LARGE dealership (multiple makes/various locations). I was welcomed with open arms. The salesman did run my numbers to get a better interest rate but came back suprised because CapOne's rate was lower than he could find. I walked out that day with my car. I didn't have to wait for the check to clear. There was never any hesitency from the dealer to not take the CapOne financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Toyota dealer called first thing this morning saying they would take my independent financing check
But....but....but, Cap1 checks are garbage! I know they are, a salesman on this thread said so very insistently. And salesman never lie..
Enjoy the car!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
They did nothing wrong.

If you want to pay with a personal check after a business explains that they don't take them, then get mad when they refuse to take it, what do you think will happen if you call the C.E.O. up and complain?

It's company policy.

Now, if they had been rude or kicked him out without offering viable alternatives, then maybe it would be worth callng over.

But they aren't going to lose any sleep over the 1 or 2 people a month who refuse to back down from their CapOne check.

Not all money is good money.
OK, what exactly is wrong with Capital One? I know I'm comparing apples and oranges, but awhile back they sent me a credit card with a 0% interest rate for new purchases and balance transfers, no fee for the transfer - I called them up and did the balance transfer, made minimum payments for about a year, they have not jacked with me in any way, totally above-board deal, their credit card operation anyway, from the standpoint of a consumer, is excellent.

So what's the problem with their checks? I would think in general if a check is not turned down as NSF, a check is a check.

But your experience seems to be different, so fill us in.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,911,662 times
I'm just glad I got a decent car for a decent price without needing a lawyer to look over the finance contract. I know exactly what I will be paying each month.

I am glad I brought along a mechanic to check the condition out. When buying a car I don't want to bring along a mechanic and a lawyer.

Because this Toyota dealership was so adamant against independent financing it shows you how much they planned to screw me on the financing contract. They seemed to know everything about Cap 1 and other independent financing organizations yet they don't accept them. At the end they finally admitted they accept them!!! But what a friggin fight!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I'm just glad I got a decent car for a decent price without needing a lawyer to look over the finance contract. I know exactly what I will be paying each month.

I am glad I brought along a mechanic to check the condition out. When buying a car I don't want to bring along a mechanic and a lawyer.

Because this Toyota dealership was so adamant against independent financing it shows you how much they planned to screw me on the financing contract. They seemed to know everything about Cap 1 and other independent financing organizations yet they don't accept them. At the end they finally admitted they accept them!!! But what a friggin fight!
I would like to say I am happy for you, but it looks like you bought that 2006 Camry. I sincerely wish you the best, but those cars are pieces of crap. It only has 30,000 miles on it now, so it might have passed a mechanics inspection at this point. There have been many threads on City Data about the newer camrys, so I hope you research them and get out of that contract ASAP.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
The 2006 Camry has been well-rated by the Consumer Reports' surveys. It's boring as heck to me, but it does not have reliability problems.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,911,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I would like to say I am happy for you, but it looks like you bought that 2006 Camry. I sincerely wish you the best, but those cars are pieces of crap. It only has 30,000 miles on it now, so it might have passed a mechanics inspection at this point. There have been many threads on City Data about the newer camrys, so I hope you research them and get out of that contract ASAP.
Thanks for your input. This is not the latest generation Camry (2007--on). This is the previous generation and if you take a look at MSN Auto, Edmunds and Epinions you will see that it is highly rated. The 2007 model is another story and is precisely why I did not buy the latest generation Camry.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
But....but....but, Cap1 checks are garbage! I know they are, a salesman on this thread said so very insistently. And salesman never lie..
Enjoy the car!

They are garbage. Apparently the dealership is willing to deal with the crap to sell the car.

We don't.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK, what exactly is wrong with Capital One? I know I'm comparing apples and oranges, but awhile back they sent me a credit card with a 0% interest rate for new purchases and balance transfers, no fee for the transfer - I called them up and did the balance transfer, made minimum payments for about a year, they have not jacked with me in any way, totally above-board deal, their credit card operation anyway, from the standpoint of a consumer, is excellent.

So what's the problem with their checks? I would think in general if a check is not turned down as NSF, a check is a check.

But your experience seems to be different, so fill us in.

They typically take forever to fund. By that, I mean the check is good, but it can take over a month sometimes of chasing down CapOne people to actually get the funds to the dealership

Think of it as buying something with a certified check, but whoever accepts the check has to deal with a 45 day hold on the funds. The check is good, and the money is there, but actually getting it is a PITA.

That's why a lot of dealerships turn them down.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It doesn't sound like the dealership was rude in any way to him. They probably have a "No CapOne" policy, which is pretty standard. If anything, he was being unreasonable in that he was so deathly afraid of getting "screwed" in finance, yet he already had an interest rate that he was apparently happy with to compare it to.
Then good customer service should have kicked in and the dealership should have explained exactly why they were not going to accept a CapOne check.

Straight talk. That's what we all want in business deals.

Contact Corporate. I've done that twice in my life and it made a difference both times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion