Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,615,838 times

Advertisements

I had a 94 4runner, was driving into town one day slowing down because the speedlimit went from 45 to 35. I was cruising along let off the gad and eased into town. There's about a two mile stretch before you reach your first stop light. All of a sudden my gas pedal stuck, I'm speeding up scared to death, I decide to shift it into neutral and get ready to turn the key so it doesn't over rev. I did so and I pulled over. I let her sit for a little bit, didn't do that for a good two weeks then it didn't again. Did the same neutral turn off and I was ok. I haven't owned a toyota since, that left a real bad taste in my mouth.

My prayers go out to that family, what a crock of ****. A freakn floormat? What in the sam hell? I don't mean to get mouthy but this is a family that was killed due to the fact that you can't shut the car down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I had a 94 4runner, was driving into town one day slowing down because the speedlimit went from 45 to 35. I was cruising along let off the gad and eased into town. There's about a two mile stretch before you reach your first stop light. All of a sudden my gas pedal stuck, I'm speeding up scared to death, I decide to shift it into neutral and get ready to turn the key so it doesn't over rev. I did so and I pulled over. I let her sit for a little bit, didn't do that for a good two weeks then it didn't again. Did the same neutral turn off and I was ok. I haven't owned a toyota since, that left a real bad taste in my mouth.

My prayers go out to that family, what a crock of ****. A freakn floormat? What in the sam hell? I don't mean to get mouthy but this is a family that was killed due to the fact that you can't shut the car down.
I know, and I have two Toyotas--00 Camry and 07 Camry. My wife said that she had problems with the floor mat in our 07 Camry stucking under her accelerator. She would just pull it out every time it would get stuck. Now she drives without due to the recall.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:55 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:

I have a 92 4Runner, my sister had a 95, I belong to 3 4Runner forums and have never heard of this happening to a 4runner. You sure it wasn't the floormat?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You have point Or was the driver a complete idiot, or wanted to commit suicide?
Could have been many things. In any case it should be well investigated before people jump to absolute conclusions and lawsuits and recalls start flying.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:

YES YOU CAN. It's operator error if the driver didn't know how to do that!!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
YES YOU CAN. It's operator error if the driver didn't know how to do that!!
Exactly. That and in any automatic-equipped car that I know about, if you brake hard starting with cold brakes, even with the engine WOT, you can stop the car.

Operator error. Trooper or not, the guy's control inputs were incompetent.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Exactly. That and in any automatic-equipped car that I know about, if you brake hard starting with cold brakes, even with the engine WOT, you can stop the car.

Yup. The driver was likely in panic mode after the pedal got stuck (for whatever reason), and didn't even consider selecting neutral from fear of rolling the car too far thru an intersection.

As far as the reason behind stuck pedal, I would not toss out the possibility of floor mat doing that either. A few months ago, I had a floor mat (in a rental car) interfere with braking. Fortunately, I was able to pull it out, and the situation wasn't anywhere close from being bad.

Another reason for piano-style gas pedals, like it is in Acuras and BMWs. I prefer them anyway.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

As far as the reason behind stuck pedal, I would not toss out the possibility of floor mat doing that either. A few months ago, I had a floor mat (in a rental car) interfere with braking. Fortunately, I was able to pull it out, and the situation wasn't anywhere close from being bad.

Was it a Toyota?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,615,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I have a 92 4Runner, my sister had a 95, I belong to 3 4Runner forums and have never heard of this happening to a 4runner. You sure it wasn't the floormat?

My 4runner had the mats removed. Never had mats in that thing.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

I think that applies to German Cars... the kind designed for the autobahn

Over the years I have a number of vehicles where the engine could over-power the brakes... my 66 Hi Performance Mustang, 62 Corvette and even the Motor Home built on a Ford F450 chassis where the cruise control stuck... stepping hard on the brakes only caused the 460 motor to roar as the transmission downshifted and the pedal pulsed ABS rear ABS brakes...

It was a white knuckle ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion