Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times

Advertisements

Four people died due to a defect. The floor mat story is BS. Put yourself in the drivers shoes. The pedal is stuck & the brakes fail. What do you do ? Push button ignition is odd. Ill stick with a key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:21 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you can still put the trans in neutral. Or park for that matter.. Maybe I am missing something.. What makes you thing the trans control is electronic also? Ill bet its still cable control
It's likely an electronic connection. "More reliable" than a mechanical cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Four people died due to a defect. The floor mat story is BS. Put yourself in the drivers shoes. The pedal is stuck & the brakes fail. What do you do ? Push button ignition is odd. Ill stick with a key.
I'm more inclined daily to believe that this is an electronic gremlin rather than a "floor mat." Floor mat sounds oddly similar to 60 Minutes' fake "Unintended Acceleration" farce that almost ruined Audi.

And I think a state trooper would have the presence of mind to try to turn off the ignition--if such is possible in a tekkie-dream car--cram neutral, and put both feet on the brakes. Something is very fishy here.

Even 2.4 million floor mats will be cheaper than fixing 10 million razmatazz computer systems.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
In that situation if I can't put it in Neutral/Reverse/Park and regular brakes are completely out? Turn the key to the OFF position then back to ACC. Let the engine slow the car if brakes are completely out, and use the e-brake. Steering won't be too difficult until you're close to a stop even though the power steering won't be operating.

You still have plenty of options in such a situation. Even easier not to get in trouble if you drive a manual because you can always put it in neutral

Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
Toyota should make cars that allow the driver to shift into neutral when moving. That has always been my plan for if my gas pedal gets stuck.
Gosh, the brake pedal has always been my plan if my gas pedal gets stuck.

That said, I think the OP is jumping to a hell of a lot of conclusions regarding this story. It could EASILY have been a floormat, plus the driver was in a rental vehicle which means he was probably unfamiliar with how it worked. I'd bet money that it was operator error and nothing more.

Last edited by Mercury Cougar; 10-02-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 PM

113 posts, read 553,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Gosh, the brake pedal has always been my plan if my gas pedal gets stuck.

That said, I think the OP is jumping to a hell of a lot of conclusions regarding this story. It could EASILY have been a floormat, plus the driver was in a rental vehicle which means he was probably unfamiliar with how it worked. I'd bet money that it was operator error and nothing more.

From an article I saw it said that the ordeal had gone on for a couple of minutes, and that the driver had been on the brakes the whole time but they basically had faded out and the car kept gaining speed...

If it was a normal person, I'd also blame the driver, as I personally feel that half the drivers on the road are clueless about stuff like this, but, he was trained for his job to deal w/ emergency situations, I can't just see him going to bits and not trying every feasible option.

If it was a drive by wire error, combined w/ a transmission glitch, it could easily happen. Try shifting your auto trans into 1st gear at freeway speeds, it won't, the computer will override your attempt at overrevving the engine. Maybe this tranny computer overrode the shift into neutral, letting the stuck dbw do its work?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808n310 View Post
From an article I saw it said that the ordeal had gone on for a couple of minutes, and that the driver had been on the brakes the whole time but they basically had faded out and the car kept gaining speed...

If it was a normal person, I'd also blame the driver, as I personally feel that half the drivers on the road are clueless about stuff like this, but, he was trained for his job to deal w/ emergency situations, I can't just see him going to bits and not trying every feasible option.

If it was a drive by wire error, combined w/ a transmission glitch, it could easily happen. Try shifting your auto trans into 1st gear at freeway speeds, it won't, the computer will override your attempt at overrevving the engine. Maybe this tranny computer overrode the shift into neutral, letting the stuck dbw do its work?
Occam's Razor.

You want to believe that several VERY unlikely events all transpired at the same moment in time to cause this accident. I prefer to believe the simplest explanation -- operator error -- until the investigation proves otherwise.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Occam's Razor.

You want to believe that several VERY unlikely events all transpired at the same moment in time to cause this accident. I prefer to believe the simplest explanation -- operator error -- until the investigation proves otherwise.
Agreed, no one knows for sure what happened or what the officer did to contribute to it or try to stop it. One thing I know is that if your car is out of control, you don't get off the highway.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
The whole thing needs a through investigation before people start throwing around lawsuits.

Overall it just doesn't sound right to me. I can't believe that you can't either shut the car off or bump it into neutral. In the experience I've had with Lexus cars it's quite easily to bump them into neutral actually. I also have a hard time believing that the ignition and transmission is suddenly completely locked up AND the car shoots to 100% throttle. Just doesn't add up.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The whole thing needs a through investigation before people start throwing around lawsuits.

Overall it just doesn't sound right to me. I can't believe that you can't either shut the car off or bump it into neutral. In the experience I've had with Lexus cars it's quite easily to bump them into neutral actually. I also have a hard time believing that the ignition and transmission is suddenly completely locked up AND the car shoots to 100% throttle. Just doesn't add up.
You have point Or was the driver a complete idiot, or wanted to commit suicide?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:26 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
I was the passenger in a motor-home where the cruise control stuck and Would NOT disengage... talk about a white knuckle ride!

The driver panicked and I jump forward and put it into neutral as the driver pulled to the shoulder with the Engine just screaming and then turned off the key...

I disconnected the mechanical linkage under the hood so even though the cruise was engaged it was no longer connected...

Could have easily ended in tragedy because the brakes were not powerful enough to over come the motor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion