Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:27 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,790 times

Advertisements

my friend had his toyota cruise control set a 55 mph.he was going up a slight incline. car slowed down to 40 mph than took off like he floored it back up to 55 he NEVER touched the gas peddle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
my friend had his toyota cruise control set a 55 mph.he was going up a slight incline. car slowed down to 40 mph than took off like he floored it back up to 55 he NEVER touched the gas peddle.
You mean the car accelerated while under cruise control WITHOUT him touching the gas pedal? Dear god Toyota....HAULT PRODUCTION NOW!!!! Isn't that whats supposed to happen? Maybe it could have done it more gently, but come on.

Could he step on the brake to disengage the cruise control? Could he simply turn the cruise control off while this was happening? I fail to see why this has anything to do with the matter at hand. Its completely unrelated and quite frankly just one more case where people experience ANY issue and all of the sudden the car is unsafe and has the quality of a 1971 Ford Pinto (which we owned by the way - didn't die).

I've had many cars (only 2 out of 20 have been toyota products) and had similar things happen with the car downshifting and gunning it when in cruise control on an uphill incline to get back to speed. My BMW 540i did this and it was NOT gentle.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:

all cruise controls do that. It maintains a speed you it set to. It applies throttle as necessary to maintain the speed

Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
It loss 15 mph on a slight incline;before it accelrated. it should have done it soon i'd think.Maybe this is why the NTSB said that complaints on unintended accleration were no higher as a per centage than any other make'in testimony to congress.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Read what I said, a car does not slow down 15 mph than accelrated on its own like he floored it.Thats not normal he drives all over the country he knows when something is wrong.This happened where we live on Long Island north shore a little hilly not on some mountain road

Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM

just got off the phone with my friend.he brought the car to toyota they test drove it a KEPT THE CAR they say it maybe a computer malfunction.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:00 AM

747 posts, read 2,760,272 times
Quote:
just got off the phone with my friend.he brought the car to toyota they test drove it a KEPT THE CAR they say it maybe a computer malfunction.
IDK about you, but every time I've brought an in-warranty car to the dealership, they've asked to keep the car unless they could look at and diagnose it immediately. Making an appointment and taking a loaner are almost always preferable to waiting a half or a full day at the dealership.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,729 times
Quote:
You or your friend certainly seem to be trying to jump on the bandwagon by forcing this issue in to the current toyota hype. You have a predisposed diagnosis and are trying to fit the symptoms to it. Its like throwing a dart and then drawing a bullseye around it.

If this was not your intent, then what is the purpose of your post? He may just have a problem with his cruise control. He wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 PM

costee
jump on what bandwagon ?he just wants a safe car to drive.
the post is [where are all those run away toyota posts]If you bother to engage your brain you will see I said toyota said it may be a computer malfunction.They drove the car and it happend to their mechanic thats why they kept the car.got it?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM

747 posts, read 2,760,272 times
Well, you're the one who capitalized THEY KEPT THE CAR for emphasis - as if that was sinister or remarkable in any way. Have you never dropped off a car at a dealership before? Here's a newsflash: when you do, THEY KEEP THE CAR. Even if you wait the entire time, they'll HAVE THE CAR and you're not allowed back there.

As to the original complaint, it could be a malfunction that it allowed the speed to drop that low. If it had been a bit less of a drop, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Put an automatic in a boring car like a Toyota, and they it's programmed (keep revs low for economy, smoothness and NVH reduction, etc) it takes a while before it downshifts. Add cruise control and it's a while before the whole system reacts to the slowing speed (you lose speed quite quickly going uphill). Then it tries to over-react by getting you back up to your previously set speed asap (as if you won't notice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion