Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I understand that you were couching your answere in what you would do. But have you put yourself in the position of a European, and thought about what a non-American might be moved by?
Sorry, I think that those places are important to visit. American, or Non-American. After all, the Holocaust affected everyone, including people from Europe, it is part of our collective history. As for the Vietnam Wall, it is obvious you have not been there, or been affected by Vietnam, many of us have been. Perhaps that would not interest someone from Europe. But it is a part of our culture, that they might be interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry, I think that those places are important to visit. American, or Non-American. After all, the Holocaust affected everyone, including people from Europe, it is part of our collective history. As for the Vietnam Wall, it is obvious you have not been there, or been affected by Vietnam, many of us have been. Perhaps that would not interest someone from Europe. But it is a part of our culture, that they might be interested in.

Believe me, I have been affected by Vietnam. And I've been there.

The fact that YOU have been there and affected by it does not make it essential that a visitor to your country needs to put it at the top of their tourism priorities.

If there were an American Indian museum, or a slave trade museum in, say, Poland or Egypt, would you consider it to be an important stop in your visit to that country? What makes it a part of THEIR collective history?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Get a Lonely Planet travel guide for the US. It will give you a lot of options that you may not have considered.

Enjoy your travels.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:00 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Believe me, I have been affected by Vietnam. And I've been there.

The fact that YOU have been there and affected by it does not make it essential that a visitor to your country needs to put it at the top of their tourism priorities.

If there were an American Indian museum, or a slave trade museum in, say, Poland or Egypt, would you consider it to be an important stop in your visit to that country? What makes it a part of THEIR collective history?
While I agree, somewhat, with your sentiment the point is to let travelers know what's available so they can make that decision. We have no idea what interest the OP may or may not have in these places.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
On to cities. I've been to all 48 contiguous states and every major city it seems at this point. Here are my top 10 cities in the US:

1. NYC
2.San Diego
3. San Francisco
4. Chicago
5.Atlanta
6.Austin
7. St. Louis
8. Portland
9. Boston
10. Washington, DC.

Note that for the exception of St. Louis, there are no cities in the middle states.
A warning regarding Saint Louis. It is now ranked as the most dangerous city in the United States.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Vehemently. What, exactly, are the kinds of things that can happen to unaccompanied, middle-aged, sober travelers, that would not happen if they were with someone? How many unaccompanied, middle-aged, sober travelers have actually been harmed in the USA, while traveling alone? Compared, say, with the number who die in household accidents while cowering at home afraid to travel.

Some people are afraid there are monsters under their beds, but it is not useful to advise everyone to look under their bed before they go to sleep with the lights on.
Rumor has it that it is much easier to accost/kidnap/kill one person than it is two. Since I am not a murder I cannot say for certain if this is correct or not. However, a little research will show that most, if not all, serial killers look for a lone person rather than a couple or a crowd. Not only does it make the job much easier, but there are no witnesses in the event that the other person would "get away".

I think that most, if not all statistics would bear me out on that one.

Also, while it may be true that odds of encountering a serial killer in your travels may be positively ASTRONOMICAL, I would venture to say that robbers, and muggers and rapists also prefer the lone victim and the odds of coming into contact with just such a character are significantly higher, particularly in large cities such as those discussed in this thread.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-27-2010, 05:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Rumor has it that it is much easier to accost/kidnap/kill one person than it is two. Since I am not a murder I cannot say for certain if this is correct or not. However, a little research will show that most, if not all, serial killers look for a lone person rather than a couple or a crowd. Not only does it make the job much easier, but there are no witnesses in the event that the other person would "get away".

I think that most, if not all statistics would bear me out on that one.

Also, while it may be true that odds of encountering a serial killer in your travels may be positively ASTRONOMICAL, I would venture to say that robbers, and muggers and rapists also prefer the lone victim and the odds of coming into contact with just such a character are significantly higher, particularly in large cities such as those discussed in this thread.

20yrsinBranson
I travel alone all the time, in both Asia and Europe.
I speak enough of several languages to get what I need, know how to contact police in all countries I travel to.
Now, I think I'm pretty smart about it; I travel during the day; not at night. I stay away from deserted areas...
I tend to make friends pretty easily and will have a meal with them then taxi home.

That said, I'm more afraid to travel alone in the US than I am anywhere else I've traveled.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Thank you for everyone's imput........I am just trying to put together some sort of travel plan for the next 18 months which is as long as we thing we will be in the US.

I bought a book and hit some travel sites to get ideas about fly drives distances that can be covered and how long it should take etc and have a 'hit list' of things we want to do. I would love to get some feedback though in case I am missing something and also if there are any times of the years we should avoid or should aim to travel to certain places....

these are not in any particular order yet....

LA to San Francisco along the coast and to the Napa Valley. 14 days

New Orleans driving in a big circle and visiting Mississippi, Memphis, Tennessee, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Savannah back to New Orleans. 20 days

Drive around Florida Keys and Miami,

The Great Lakes, Michigan and Wisconsin visiting Chicago ann Minneapolis.

Utah, Nevada, Bruce Canyon Park, Grand Canyon, Zion Park.

Drive from New York to Maine, will do this in the autumn.

Am also planning weekend trips to Washington, Philadelphia, Dallas, Seattle, Montreal and Ottawa... also maybe a trip to Hawaii.

Hubby has quite a lot of carry over holiday so we don't have too much restriction on that front, also I might do a trip with a friend when he comes over.....

Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Just a bit about your plan to drive from NY to Maine in Autumn. Try to spend time in Maine before mid October as by then most of the lovely color will be on it's way out. Hope you get to come to Maine and will be interested in what you think of our state.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Just a bit about your plan to drive from NY to Maine in Autumn. Try to spend time in Maine before mid October as by then most of the lovely color will be on it's way out. Hope you get to come to Maine and will be interested in what you think of our state.
My friend suggested we go to maine by car from NY in April / May as he wants to visit. would that also be a good time to visit ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel