Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times

Advertisements

I know there are other threads about this subject, but I am just curious if anyone who has been through these scanners can tell me whether the places that have the body scanners have sped up the security process.
Did you still have to take off your shoes?
Did you still have to open your lap tops?
Did you still have to show your toiletries in a plastic bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Last week at PIT, I still had to remove my shoes and my belt. But I had no liquids and no laptop with me.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Your laptop and belongings are going through the x-ray, not the scanner. Not sure what you mean by open the laptop, but mine stays in its sleeve, zipped up. Most are airline approved. And yes, everything comes off like usual. Of course, you don't have to go through it, it's an option.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Your laptop and belongings are going through the x-ray, not the scanner. Not sure what you mean by open the laptop, but mine stays in its sleeve, zipped up. Most are airline approved. And yes, everything comes off like usual. Of course, you don't have to go through it, it's an option.
Really?? Is there a special airline approved lap top bag as I always have to take mine out and put it seperate from laptop case to go through the xray

Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Did you still have to take off your shoes? Yes

Did you still have to open your lap tops? I have never done this, I always have my laptop in a bin and it just gets xrayed like everything else

Did you still have to show your toiletries in a plastic bag? Yes

It's the same old routine with the xray conveyor belt. In addition, you either get scanned or get patted down.

I don't have one, but Google "TSA compliant laptop bag" and you'll see which ones are deemed compliant. I love my laptop/messenger bag so I won't give my non-compliant one up!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I always have to take my laptop out of the bag too.

I travel a lot for work and have found the scanner to be easy and fast, when people talk about it causing longer lines I don't understand since the choke point is people waiting to put their bags on the conveyor, not the scanner or metal detector. Once my bags go into the hole it is usually either only me or one other person ahead of me waiting to enter the scanner / metal detector.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Really?? Is there a special airline approved lap top bag as I always have to take mine out and put it seperate from laptop case to go through the xray
Look for ones that say airline approved. Both my husband and I have one. I got mine at the Mac store, but you can get just a plain one. Here is the one I have. You still have to take it out of your luggage, but not out of the actual case, it just stays zipped up in there.

They’re easy to travel with, and the checkpoint friendly design lets you go through airport security with the laptop inside the sleeve.

Laptop Sleeve 16" | BUILT

Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I always have to take my laptop out of the bag too.
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I take my laptop out of my bag and put it in a bin by itself. I never physically open the laptop, as you would to turn it on. Is that what the OP meant by "Did you still have to open your lap tops?"?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I have had to 'turn-on' laptop in some security screening to show it is 'functional' (usually overseas). That was a problem when my mother-board went south while on a trip, they just looked a little closer and removed batteries to see any indications of tampering.

I can see the Laptops being banned at some point (Too ez to disguise foul play). But... who could travel then?? leisure only

Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I take my laptop out of my bag and put it in a bin by itself. I never physically open the laptop, as you would to turn it on. Is that what the OP meant by "Did you still have to open your lap tops?"?
Yes, I wasn't clear about that. I meant opening the lap top carrying case, not the lap top itself. I will also look into getting a lap top case that's TSA friendly.
I was hoping the body scanner would reduce some of these other procedures, but based on what I have read here, I guess not. It's just another thing to go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel